PDA

View Full Version : Do Half-Elves or High Elves (Moon) Make Better Wizards?

Expected
2019-10-05, 01:00 AM
Assuming I'd play a Wizard, which race fits better thematically? I know that High Elves are closely connected to and enjoy learning magic, but what about Half-Elves?

And if the 27 point buy array values are the same, which should I choose?

dragonearth
2019-10-05, 01:27 AM
Generally High elves fight the the theme of a learned magic caster while half elf leans more to the diplomatic classes. High elves also gain better mechanical benefits for the wizard class than half elf does.

Dork_Forge
2019-10-05, 01:37 AM
Stereotypically High Elves are more inclined to be Wizards but Half Elves can make very good Wizards (especially if you go with a Varient Half Elf to boost your casting), in terms of stats it doesn't matter either way for Wizards. You can get a +1 int from both races but the +2 Cha might make point buy a little less restrictive.

Anymage
2019-10-05, 01:57 AM
Flavorwise, the ones who get a bonus wizard cantrip get the clear edge.

Powerwise? I'm thinking that high elves might get a slight edge. The half elf's Cha boost and bonus skills can help if you want to make a wizard with social competencies, but that's an additional trick instead of adding to core competencies. High elves, meanwhile, mostly like the extra cantrip for added versatility. Longbow proficiency can be okay at low levels, and the basic elf package of things like trance and perception seems more useful to your standard spellcaster type. The difference is small enough that you won't feel bad if you play the half elf (especially if you plan on leveraging the social parts), but if I had to pick I'd go high elf.

Expected
2019-10-05, 02:17 AM
Thank you for your answers. If I decide to roll a Wizard, it will definitely be a High Elf.

Lyracian
2019-10-05, 04:18 AM
Providing you are happy with a 10 Chr you can get the same stats with point buy.
H. Elf Dex (7 points) 14+2 = 16 Chr (2 points) 10
Half-Elf Dex (9 points) 15+1 = 16 Chr (0 points) 8+2 = 10.

The extra weapon proficiency is nice but for me it comes down to a Cantrip vs extra skill. The Cantrip is a nice boost at lower levels but when you get to level 10 is there anything left you want to add for the character? The other question is are you going pure Wizard or multiclassing? Taking that one level of Cleric for armour means you may not get as much value out of that +2 Dex.

I think they are both good but which is best will depend more on the game you play. If you are short on a party face grabbing Persuasion as a free extra skill may be more value over the duration of the campaign than having one extra attack cantrip with a different damage type.

Bjarkmundur
2019-10-05, 10:03 AM
There’s a saying “A human always finds a way, and always goes too far.''

Humans in 5e are usually described as dangerously ambitious. High-Elf culture is so filled with magic that they are pretty much tought to use spellcasting responsibly the same way we learn to look both ways before crossing a street. The unchecked and ambitious human would never show that kind of restraint. A human that has set his mind to something has justified and rationalized every decision he has made, and is almost guaranteed to get run over. The single-mindedness of a human can be compared to a toddler running after a ball, especially when combined with greed or desperation. Even in the case of the purest of souls, the road to hell is still paved with good intentions.

Throne12
2019-10-05, 12:35 PM
Half orcs make better wizards.

Lyracian
2019-10-06, 01:57 PM
Half orcs make better wizards.
Why? They have no benefit for casting only staying up when injured.

JellyPooga
2019-10-06, 07:50 PM
Why? They have no benefit for casting only staying up when injured.

No benefit to casting, but half-orc opens up some unconventional builds. I played a half-orc abjurer once and had a blast mixing it up in melee combat; a play style I might not have considered were it not for the attraction of the racial traits of increased melee capability and durability. A half-orc wizard might not be quite as good a wizard as, say, a high elf, but he's definitely not as much of a glass cannon.

Dork_Forge
2019-10-06, 07:59 PM
No benefit to casting, but half-orc opens up some unconventional builds. I played a half-orc abjurer once and had a blast mixing it up in melee combat; a play style I might not have considered were it not for the attraction of the racial traits of increased melee capability and durability. A half-orc wizard might not be quite as good a wizard as, say, a high elf, but he's definitely not as much of a glass cannon.

A staff is a Str weapon after all!