PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Half Orc Ancients Paladin build progression for Avernus

jaappleton
2019-10-05, 11:11 AM
My Avernus game should start up sometime before the end of November, as our Strahd game comes to a close.

In our Strahd game, there's been my Half Orc Barbarian, Grom. He's fancied another players character, an Orc War Cleric named Janice.

We thought it'd be a cool idea for our next game to have their son in it.

So, in the Avernus game, I'm making their Paladin son, Virgil. (Yes the name is 100% intentional)

Starting at first level. We can use either point buy or standard array.

I've come up with the following via Point Buy:

Strength 15 + 2 = 17

Dexterity 10

Constitution 13+1 = 14

Intelligence 8

Wisdom 10

Charisma 15

With +1 Str and +1 Cha at level 4. But after that, I'm at an impasse. Typically I think its a bit foolhardy to plan a build out over such a long stretch of levels, but I'm really looking forward to finally playing past level 10 or so (highest I ever reached was 11, and Avernus goes to level 13-15.

So any sort of advice on this would be tremendously appreciated.

AttilatheYeon
2019-10-05, 11:55 AM
What books do you have available? If Xanathars, orcish fury is very good. You can drop strength by 1 and add 2 to wis. This way you can take orcish fury at 4 or 8 and have str and cha balanced. It'll put you 1 asi behind, but that should even out by 12.

zinycor
2019-10-05, 12:05 PM
Is there any particular reason for you to go ancients?

jaappleton
2019-10-05, 12:16 PM
Is there any particular reason for you to go ancients?

I really like Ancients's lv7 feature of granting resistance to all spell damage for myself and allies. Its channel divinity also works on Fiends, which seems amazing for an adventure like Avernus.

Devotion is my 2nd choice, it has a better channel divinity and the lv15 is amazing, but I need to live long enough to reach lv15, y'know? And even then there's no guarantee the party will actually reach that level.

EDIT: Oh goodness you're suggesting I take THAT shield and go Conquest, aren't you....? :smalltongue:

CheddarChampion
2019-10-05, 08:39 PM
Starting at level 1, I presume?

What weapons will you be using? S&B, TWF, THF, Polearm?

Generic Suggestions:
Mage Slayer (this plus smite and the auras... a mage's worst nightmare)
Shield Master (shove and evasion-lite)
Great Weapon Master
Polearm Master
Sentinel
Strength+2
Charisma+2

jaappleton
2019-10-06, 11:15 AM
So my weapon choice is kinda.... Up in the air.

One hand, sword and board works fine. But I’d like a bonus action attack.

That leaves Polearm Master, or Revenant Blade. Unless I’m missing something. Well, critting / killing with GWM, but that’s far from reliable.

From what I can gather, only Revenant Blade nets me a BA Attack without a Feat investment.

CheddarChampion
2019-10-06, 01:16 PM
Well, you can dual wield without a feat or a fighting style... not very effective though.
Unless your DM would let you take TWF as a fighting style at level 2?

But the double scimitar is still decent without the feat:
Attacks with the attack action - 2d4+Str damage
Attacks with the bonus action - 1d4+Str damage
If you add in the great weapon fighting style, that's 6+Str/3+Str damage.

At level 5 you'd deal 10, 10, then 7 damage (ignoring accuracy). Pretty good for no resources and no feats!