PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Path of The Weretouched Master, shifter feats, and Razorclaw subrace.

NOMster
2019-10-05, 11:39 PM
Up first: subrace Razorclaw

Razorclaw Shifters are keen hunters and tend to be aloof. Many Razorclaw shifters have feline or canine traits that become more pronounced as they shift, but they might instead draw on badgers, wolverines, or other animals with sharp claws.

Razorclaw Traits
Ability Score Increase
You can increase your Strength or Dexterity by 2

Predatory
You have proficiency with the Stealth skill.

Shifting Feature
While shifted, your claws give you a climb speed equal to your movement speed and you can use your claws to make an unarmed strike. If you hit with them, you deal slashing damage equal to 1d6 plus dexterity or strength as the modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike. Your claws count as light or finesse weapons.

Next up: The subclass

Barbarian: Path of The Weretouched Master.

*Shifter Race Only*

Weretouched Masters are shifter barbarians that seek to enhance their combat ability through mastery of the beast within. Along with the growing strength of their physical form, Weretouched masters become increasingly wild in spirit and less comfortable in urban settings of society. They grow to prefer the natural environment of their lycanthrope bloodline (whatever that may be). In time, they learn to take on hybrid animal forms as their ancestors did and have a special link to animals that share that heritage. Weretouched Masters seek nothing from other ways of life. If you choose this path, it is a devotion to your ancestral bloodline and is not available to multiclass.

Each Weretouched Master develops differently according to their subrace. Some grow into powerful protectors, some grow into fierce attackers, and still others take different paths. But all Weretouched Masters search to find the perfect balance of their rage and the beast within.

Path of The Weretouched Master Features

Barbarian Level Feature
3rd Weretouched 1: Affinity
6th Weretouched 2: Attunement
10th Frightful Shifting
14th Weretouched 3: Mastery

Weretouched 1
Starting when you choose this path at 3rd level, choose your subrace (it must be the same one you chose at character creation) and choose an animal that your heritage is based on. Make a note of it on your character sheet. You can choose any animal that shares some characteristic with your subrace but this cannot be changed later. When you rage, your animalistic features are enhanced even further as you embrace your primal fury.

Example: for someone whose chosen animal is a bear, their facial features would become more bestial, fur would grow or thicken on their body, and they would grow a short tail. Over time at certain levels, these traits would intensify until finally at level 14 they would have the full appearance of a werebear while RageShifting.

All Weretouched Masters start on their path by gaining the following 2 abilities.

RageShift-Starting at 3rd level, you can no longer shift once per short rest. However, your shifting features activate whenever you rage as if you had shifted normally. RageShift is otherwise subject to all the rules of rage as listed in the barbarian class features.

Wild Empathy-Beginning at 3rd level, you have advantage on all Animal Handling checks dealing with the animal type that your Weretouched heritage is based on. At the DM's discretion it can also be similar animals. Such as: A wolf weretouched master could have advantage with dogs or other canines.

Select your Shifter subrace and make note of an animal type your character is based on. Your progression in this class will be determined by your subrace.

Beasthide
When you RageShift, you closely resemble a bear, boar or some other creature with a tough hide such as a rhinoceros or even an armadillo.

Longtooth
When you RageShift, you closely resemble a wolf, rat, or other creature that has a strong bite attack such as a sabretooth tiger or even a mongoose.

Razorclaw
When you RageShift, you closely resemble a tiger, badger, or some other animal that has sharp claws such as wolverines or even a bird of prey.

Swiftstride
When you RageShift, you closely resemble a cheetah, greyhound, or some other speedy creature such as an antelope or even a fox.

Wildhunt
When you RageShift, you closely resemble a bloodhound, bear, or other tracking animal such as a shark or even a platypus.

Weretouched 2
Beginning at 6th level, Your RageShifting becomes more deadly as you gain advancing animalistic abilities based on your subrace. These abilities stack with your existing shifting features while RageShifting. For example: the beasthide d6 resilience dice is in addition to the subrace shifting feature 1d6 for temporary hp.

Beasthide Resilience
Beginning at level 6, your thick skin gives you added protection. Your hide has gotten tougher and you gain +1 to your unarmored armor class.

Whenever you Rageshift, you gain an additional 1d6 resilience bonus to your temporary hit points.

The resilience dice improve to 2d6 at level 10 and 3d6 at level 14.

Longtooth Viciousness
Beginning at level 6, your fangs begin to grow longer and do more damage. As you come closer to resembling your animal type, your bite is agressively vicious.

Whenever you hit with your Longtooth Shifting Strike and deal damage, the piercing damage increases and you can add 1d4 to the damage roll.

The vicious damage die increases to 1d6 at level 10 and 1d8 at level 14.

Razorclaw Savagery
Beginning at level 6 your claw attacks become increasingly damaging. You can tap into your lycanthrope heritage and throw deadly force into your strikes.

When you take the Attack action, you can choose to only use your claws to attack. When you do so, then the attacks are savage. Until the beginning of your next turn, your claws are considered magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity and the slashing damage die increases by 1 size from 1d6 to 1d8. If you hit with both of your claw attacks and you use your bonus action to engage in two-weapon fighting using your claws, then you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the attack.

The savage damage die increases to 1d10 at level 10 and 1d12 at level 14.

Swiftstride Velocity
Beginning at level 6, you have made a link to the Beast Within that grows as you do. You begin a path to increased momentum and your overall speed improves by 5'.

While RageShifting: Your overall speed improves by an additional 5' and you can use dash as a bonus action.

Your RageShift speed increases by 5' at level 10 and again at level 14.

Wildhunt Acuity
Beginning at level 6, your heightened senses make you increasingly hard to catch off guard. If you can hear or smell, then hidden and invisible creatures do not have advantage on attacks against you.

Additionally, when your are Rageshifting: you have Blindsight out to 20' and you can add your rage modifier to the total of any wisdom checks or wisdom saving throws.

Frightful Shifting
At 10th level, your hybrid form has matured in magnitude. When you transform, you have an unsettling presence to enemies near you.

If you RageShift before taking any other actions on your first turn, then you can use your next action to frighten up to 3 creatures of your choice within 10' of you. The creatures must succeed a wisdom saving throw against a DC equal to 8+your constitution modifier+your proficiency bonus. On a failure, the creature is frightened of you. They can then make another saving throw at the end of their next turn and at the end of each subsequent turn. They remain frightened of you until they succeed the save, no longer can see you, or are more than 60' away from you. The effect ends if your RageShift ends, you fall unconscious, or die. If the creature succeeds, they can not be frightened this way until the next dawn. Creatures are unaffected by this if they are blind or cannot see you.

After you use this trait, you can’t do so again until you finish a short or long rest.

Weretouched 3
You have mastered the beast within and can use rage to exhibit your lycanthropic heritage to perfection. Beginning at 14th level, when you use your bonus action to RageShift, you transform into an animal-humanoid hybrid form. While in this form, You can use weapons, speak, and your gear is not transformed. You retain all of your game statistics, alignment, and personality (anything affected by shifting is still affected as if you were following the shifting rules, such as AC for beasthide or speed for swiftstride). However, you gain new abilities while in this form based on your subrace.

Beasthide Blocking Protection
Your hardened nature can be used to protect your friends in a close fight.

Starting at 14th level, when you are RageShifting and an ally within 5' of you takes damage, you can use your reaction to partially block the attack. You take half of the damage they would have taken and you have damage resistance to any damage you take this way.

Longtooth Retaliating Bite
Your ferocity is overwhelming when your friends are injured.

Starting at 14th level, while you are RageShifting, if a creature within 5' of you damages an ally, then you can use your elongated fangs to make an unarmed strike against the creature as a reaction. If you hit with your fangs, the damage dice, type, and ability modifier is the same as your Longtooth Shifting Strike.

Razorclaw Scarred Precision
Your feral accuracy is unmatched, especially when you are injured.

Beginning at 14th level, your claw attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20. If you fall below half your maximum hit points or take any damage from critical hits, then you can use your reaction to add precision dice to your next claw attacks. Once activated, until the end of your next turn, whenever you make an attack roll to hit with your claws, you can roll a d4 and add it to the roll (as if under the effects of the bless spell). If adding the d4 to the number rolled on the d20 is equal to 19 or higher, then it is a critical hit. If the total for the 2 dice is 20 or higher, then it has the effect of being a natural 20.

Swiftstride Dizzying Speed
Your movement is so swift, it disorients foes close to you when you move at full speed.

Starting at 14th level, if you use your bonus action dash to enter an enemies reach or if use your Swiftstride Reaction to move out of an enemies reach, then the creature has disadvantage on all attack rolls until the end of your next turn.

Wildhunt Warning Aura
Your ability to almost preternaturally locate foes helps your allies in a fight.

Starting at 14th level, while you are RageShifting, If an enemy would normally have advantage on an attack against an ally within 5' of you from being hidden, flanking, or other means, they instead have disadvantage.

And now, The Feats (in alphabetical order)

Beasthide Elite: Your Beasthide Trait improves to give you an additional 2d6 temporary hit points whenever you shift

Shifter Extra Trait: prerequisite 2 shifter feats.
The beast within manifests itself more through your abilities.

You gain an additional Shifter trait
Your new secondary Shifter trait replaces prerequisites for other feats. For example: choosing Longtooth as a secondary trait qualifies you for Shifter Savagery later in your progression.
your new trait manifest simultaneously with your original racial choice.
this feat grants the shifting feature abilities only, not the racial attribute bonuses or proficiencies. So a Longtooth Shifter taking this feat and choosing Beasthide would not gain a Constitution increase or Athletics proficiency.

Shifter Instincts:
Your Weretouched heritage gives you heightened instincts and extra shifting.

You have +2 bonus to initiative
You have expertise in the Perception skill.
You increase the number of times you can shift per short rest by 1

Longtooth Elite:
Your Longtooth Trait improves to give your bite a lasting effect from the lycanthropic ancestry in your blood.

Once per turn, when you hit a creature with your Longtooth Shifting Strike, your bites continue to bleed due to the trace of lycanthropy in your blood. At the start of each of the wounded creature’s turns, it takes 1d6 Necrotic damage, and it can then make a Constitution saving throw (DC=8+your Strength modifier + your proficiency bonus) to end the effect of any bites. Each bite has this effect until the creature makes the save. This does not prevent future bites from having the same effect if the attack is used again.

Razorclaw Elite:
Your Shifter Trait improves and you can slash with deadly efficiency. Your strikes hit vital areas and can stop creatures in their tracks.

When you take the attack action and attack with your claws, you can make it a stunning strike. You take a -5 to the attack roll but If the attack hits, the creature is stunned until the end of your next turn. The creature can then make a constitution saving throw to end the effect (DC=8+your constitution modifier+your proficiency bonus). On a failure, the creature takes 1d4 necrotic damage,remains stunned for another round, and can try to save again at the end of your next turn. If the creature saves, the effect ends and it takes no further damage from the hit. Each round the creature fails the save, the DC for the save increases by 1.

Shifter Reaction:
Once per short or long rest, you can use your reaction to shift. The shift granted by this feat is in addition to your racial shifting ability and can not be triggered as a bonus action.

Shifter Savagry: under construction

Swiftstride Elite:
Your Lycanthrope heritage makes you incredibly swift and hard to hit.

Your overall speed improves by 10'
The distance you can move using your swiftstride reaction doubles to 20'.
While shifted you can use your swiftstride reaction to move when a creature enters your reach. This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Wildhunt Elite:
Your enhanced senses make you an elite tracker and your shifter trait improves:

Your Mark The Scent trait can be used to track a creature if you spend a short or long rest with a personal item belonging to the creature.
While shifted your range for Mark the Scent extends. You can mark a creature up to 60' from you and you know it's location as long as it's within 500' of you.
While shifted you can use wisdom in place of intelligence for investigation and insight checks

MagneticKitty
2019-10-08, 01:26 PM
I like it. I think some shifter abilities might be kinda overturned to have all the time... (mostly the temp hp) and I was making the same thing and struggling with this as well.
Otherwise I don't see anything too broken at first read through
I recommend making a version on gm binder with tables or bullets for better readibility.

On my version I added two new shifter options as well, broadwing which can avoid fall damage and seastalker which is a water based one for sharks, crocs, ect.
I'll post it if you're curious.

NOMster
2019-10-08, 07:51 PM
Sure! And thanks for the feedback. I was thinking on the temp HP but since technically it doesn't stack, you really are only replenishing when you do it. Until lvl20 its not a lot unless you're going beasthide. I'm a level 8 shifter with maxed con and I get 13 temp HP. If I was using this subclass, that would be gone on the first hit I took so getting it at every rage seems fair. Also they're not getting any special features like the AG, storms, or totem animals so what they get instead is the temp HP and whatever the race provides.

I actually made it on DND beyond with plans to make it like you'd said. But I use beyond as my scratch pad.

MagneticKitty
2019-10-10, 05:28 PM
Since you said sure to seeing mine here you go

https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-LSNjZZrdlcSDDO6jANh

(You can skip most of the shifter section, and look at only added subraces and last page is subclass)
There's what I did with mine. I like your idea of replacing shifting entirely. My main goal was making a natural weapon using barb. But that does pose problems with long tooth's thing it specializes in.

NOMster
2019-10-10, 06:00 PM
I like it quite a bit. there are some similarities i see to what i was going for but i like the way you went with different aspects of animals to enhance. very nice.

NOMster
2019-10-11, 07:20 AM
Since you said sure to seeing mine here you go

https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-LSNjZZrdlcSDDO6jANh

(You can skip most of the shifter section, and look at only added subraces and last page is subclass)
There's what I did with mine. I like your idea of replacing shifting entirely. My main goal was making a natural weapon using barb. But that does pose problems with long tooth's thing it specializes in.

I made this to overcome that. you can make it a bonus action or action to use them, but it works pretty well in play to give the longtooth the ability to let go of weapons. not much damage but it can increase along the lines of what the razorclaw does.

Shifter Claw Bracers

These Bracers are unremarkable appearing leather bracers but are lined with Shiftsilver inside. They will function as a mundane bracers unless attuned by a Shifter. The special bond created by this attunement unlocks the magic contained within.

When attuned these magical bracers defer a +1 bonus to unarmed strikes and a +2 bonus to armor class while wearing no armor and using no shield. Inside the knuckles, the bracers contain 1" shiftsilvered claw spikes that can be unsheathed as part of the action to use them. On your turn, you can extend and use the claws to make an unarmed strike. If you hit with the claws, you can deal slashing damage equal to 1d6 + your strength modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike. When you use them for this, you lose the AC bonus until the start of your next turn. The damage is magical for the purposes of overcoming resistance and immunity.