PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer needs a background story.

historyisold
2007-10-16, 10:14 AM
Greetings!

Some friends and I are about to start a new game and I've decided on creating a "Swiss Army Knife" Sorcerer that will essentially be the face of the party. For whatever reason, I'm drawing a whopping blank that seems to have no end. My solution, therefore, was to ask for input from people on the forums. My character will be placed in one of two parties(neither evil) that will be run at the same time by two co-DMs after the character has been finished and polished. Any kind of help or input would be humbly appreciated, no matter what the increment.

If it helps, a little info on the character and what I've got so far:

Human Lv. 1, Male, 5'7'', 140lbs, Good Chaotic
Slender, sophisticated looks, prominent cheekbones, piercing blue eyes, perfect teeth, no facial hair, wide curly hair grows down to shoulder blades, usually tied back, something of a prude, left-brain thinker (left-handed as well), also a bit of a pessimist, and outspoken.
STR-9, DEX-13, CON-14, INT-13, WIS-16, CHA-16
Ranks in: Bluff, Concentration, Intimidate, Listen, Spellcraft
Feats: Diligent, Negotiator
Spells: 0 - Message, Read Magic, Ray of Frost, Mage Hand
______1 - Feather Fall, Charm Person
Phobia: Arachnids!

I think that about covers it (I hope). Try to be serious, although mild humor and sharp wit is most appreciated if channeled and presented properly. Anything you've got to make this character more unique is what I'm looking for.
Happy posting.
- Shakespeare

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-16, 10:21 AM
First off, crunchy backstory. How did the char get his power? The old dragon blood? An ancient pact with Angels, Celestials, Elysians, etc.? Learning about Will&Word and tapping on the powers of it?

Second, the personality. With high Wis and Cha, he's a born leader. He knows the best path and can get people to follow it. Consider Leadership when you can, and focus on who his ancestors were. Maybe they were powerful and aren't now? Maybe he doesn't know his progenitors and they're kings and queens. Or maybe they're commoners and he's just destined for glory. Another point that'll help is HOW did he acquire his phobia to arachnids. Attacked by a Bebilith and saved by an adventurer, p'haps? All phobias are obtained, so how did he get his?

streakster
2007-10-16, 10:33 AM
He doesn't want his powers, and is questing to be rid of them. Maybe throw in a magic-phobic girlfriend for good measure.

vegetalss4
2007-10-16, 10:37 AM
First off, crunchy backstory. How did the char get his power? The old dragon blood? An ancient pact with Angels, Celestials, Elysians, etc.? Learning about Will&Word and tapping on the powers of it?

Second, the personality. With high Wis and Cha, he's a born leader. He knows the best path and can get people to follow it. Consider Leadership when you can, and focus on who his ancestors were. Maybe they were powerful and aren't now? Maybe he doesn't know his progenitors and they're kings and queens. Or maybe they're commoners and he's just destined for glory. Another point that'll help is HOW did he acquire his phobia to arachnids. Attacked by a Bebilith and saved by an adventurer, p'haps? All phobias are obtained, so how did he get his?

i agree with this.

JDMSJR
2007-10-16, 10:48 AM
How about a Sorcerer who is a little crafty/paranoid and acts like a wizard. Fake spell books which are suitably guarded and written in gibberish which he claims is his own secrete code, maybe fake glasses to give that learned appearence, spends time pretending to memorize spells, etc.

He does this so people will waste time trying to get his spell books and think that if they get those and he uses all his spells then he will be helpless (there could even be a situation where this happens and he has to pretend that he has no spells). Also if people think he is a wizard, they will think he has less spells per day than he really has which could come in handy. Could make for some intresting roleplaying when he finally has to come clean to the party.

gaymer_seattle
2007-10-16, 11:11 AM
based on stats and alignment, i see your sorcerer as being a political activist. the one who is always speaking up for those with no voice. He is opinionated, though with the background to support his opinions. Will use his powers as necessary to assist what ever cause he has joined at the time. i don't want to say eco-terrorist, but he probably views authority as a type of evil.

Your mother was a low level druid near a logging town. You never knew your father, but that wasn't an issue as the druid enclave provided all the family and father figures you would ever need. While you never felt the touch of nature as your mother did, you had a deep feeling for what it was like to be part of a community. And a marginalized one at that.

Being so close to a a logging town, there were regular conflicts of interest, but it wasn't until the owner of a logging conglomerate was elected to Town Mayor that things became really bad. Using his political influence, he was able to encroach further and further onto Druid territory until one day even the oldest and most sacred trees were threatened. Violence ensued and it was a bloody slaughter on both sides. Because the Druids had the assistance of their spells and animal companions the region saw them as the aggressor and the local local sent in his troops backing up "local law" and eventually the entire enclave was killed or driven out.

Among the dead was your mother. It was the site of seeing her killed that opened the gates of your arcane power. As only a young man, you hadn't the skill to be very effective, a situation you vowed to remedy.

historyisold
2007-10-16, 01:45 PM
Thanks for all of the generous replies. May your Mondays and Tuesdays be forever less dull than mine.