PDA

View Full Version : Anti-dispel spell/feat

spH3RiCal
2019-10-06, 09:04 AM
I remember finding a spell (of metamagic feat?) that always counts as the highest level spell against a dispel attempt but I can't recall its name or source. Any help?

Asmotherion
2019-10-06, 09:40 AM
Earth Spell helps a lot by adding to your caster level the adjusted spell level of heighten spell. That's probably the one.

Node Casting adds the Node bonus to your caster level as well; Great for buffstacs.

Finally the spell Consumptive Field can add up to 0.5xOriginal caster level.

Add in spells such as create magical tatoo that add to your caster level and you can easyly hit a very high caster level. The higher your caster level->the harder your spells are to dispel.

Oh and there's Circle magic that can give you a caster level of up to 40 and allow the adjustment of metamagic to be up to 20th level spells but that's probably too much cheese. Especially if you combine with the above.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-10-06, 10:33 AM
I think I know what you mean - there's something like a particular spell that has in its description that if the creature it's cast on is subject to an area dispel that would remove one spell, it's always this spell, or something like that.

However, after reading over Dispel Magic again, and even double checking the 3.0 version, it looks like that only cares about the caster level of the spells on creatures in the area, not the spell level. Even if that one is checked first, if the dispel check fails it's going to try to dispel each of your other spells until it succeeds on one. So I guess you'd cast the above spell at the lowest caster level possible for its spell level so it's easy to dispel, so an area dispel will likely remove that one instead of a more important spell?

You could get a Ring of Enduring Arcana in CM which makes your caster level count as four higher for your spells resisting dispel attempts.

NNescio
2019-10-06, 10:40 AM
Earth Spell helps a lot by adding to your caster level the adjusted spell level of heighten spell. That's probably the one.

Need to stuff dirt in your shoes though.

spH3RiCal
2019-10-06, 10:52 AM
I think I know what you mean - there's something like a particular spell that has in its description that if the creature it's cast on is subject to an area dispel that would remove one spell, it's always this spell, or something like that.

Yeah that is the one. I think it is dispelled automatically ending the dispel effect (area dispel). Not 100% sure though, I haven't founded it yet.

Thurbane
2019-10-06, 06:55 PM
Hmm, I looked at Khelben's Dweomerdoom, Simbul's Spell Sequencer, Spell Matrix and Spellcaster's Bane, and its none of those.

I can't say I recall this spell: would it be Pathfinder?

Mr Adventurer
2019-10-07, 05:02 AM
Sounds familiar - but I can't find it either!

pabelfly
2019-10-07, 06:09 AM
Spell of Rebirth is a Truename utterance that lets you restore a dispelled spell.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-10-07, 10:13 AM
If you're not psionic and can't make your powers undispellable via Supernatural Transformation (Psionics) (using the Magic mantle if you have to), your best bet is to spend some of your downtime casting magic mouth on everything you own. It's pretty cheap and is permanent. Just make sure the spell triggers on something that isn't at all likely to ever happen.

ExLibrisMortis
2019-10-08, 01:13 PM
Dispelling buffer is a psionic power that helps protect against dispels (+5 on the Dispel DC). Under transparency rules, it works against spells to protect spells, too.

Mr Adventurer
2019-10-08, 01:26 PM
Dispelling buffer is a psionic power that helps protect against dispels (+5 on the Dispel DC). Under transparency rules, it works against spells to protect spells, too.

Huh. Interestingly it kind of has the opposite effect described in the OP too: against targeted dispels it is always checked last.