PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder pathfinder Spellslinger / Eldritch scoundrel

Nosta
2019-10-06, 09:51 AM
Ok so I guess the Anti-mage Gunman was not going to work

so I have another idea In 3.5 i always wanted to play a spellwarp sniper but never had a chance and my group is pretty much 100% pathfinder 1E

So I was thinking Would taking a level of spellslinger wizard and the rest as an Eldritch scoundrel Rogue be good

I know technically the spellslinger level is not needed but i like the idea of shooting my spells from Guns

(also Question do I need somatic components for spells fired through my Arcane Gun(s) I plan to dual wield pistols

Feat wise I was thinking for the first five levels
1: PBS
H:Precise Shot
3: Arcane Strike
5: Spell cartridges
Any good I Really Kinda want the last feat cause it paints a cool image in my head)

And My Rogue talents I am unsure of
I am still kinda going Mage killer

Eldonauran
2019-10-06, 11:58 AM
Any particular reason you want to use Eldritch Scoundrel, rather than perhaps Magus with the Eldritch Archer or Myrmidarch archetypes? I'd recommend the former but either could work.

Nosta
2019-10-06, 04:20 PM
Any particular reason you want to use Eldritch Scoundrel, rather than perhaps Magus with the Eldritch Archer or Myrmidarch archetypes? I'd recommend the former but either could work.

I'm trying for more of a magical assassin
(and I am trying to replicate The spellwarp sniper class)

Kurald Galain
2019-10-06, 04:37 PM
(and I am trying to replicate The spellwarp sniper class)
What, specifically, about this prestige class are you trying to replicate?

I haven't seen it in play, but its main shtick appears to be to downgrade area effect spells into single-target spells; I'm not sure why you'd want to do that. Or did you just want ray spells + sneak attack?

Selion
2019-10-06, 07:07 PM
Magus has some anticasters options: in particular lingering pain will shut down enemy casters most times

Nosta
2019-10-07, 01:57 PM
What, specifically, about this prestige class are you trying to replicate?

I haven't seen it in play, but its main shtick appears to be to downgrade area effect spells into single-target spells; I'm not sure why you'd want to do that. Or did you just want ray spells + sneak attack?

its more sneak attacking with spells

The Build I am thinking off

is Spellslinger 1 / Eldritch scoundrel 4 / Arcane Trickster

Kurald Galain
2019-10-07, 02:31 PM
its more sneak attacking with spells
The catch is that sneak attack damage increases by +1d6 per two levels, whereas spell damage increases by +1d6 per one level.

So the obvious build would be spellslinger 3 / rogue 1 with Accomplished Sneak Attacker feat / Arcane Trickster.

More complicated but also more effective would be Magus (eldritch archer) 4 / Rogue (gun smuggler 1, with feat as above) / Arcane Trickster.

Nosta
2019-10-07, 05:43 PM
The catch is that sneak attack damage increases by +1d6 per two levels, whereas spell damage increases by +1d6 per one level.

So the obvious build would be spellslinger 3 / rogue 1 with Accomplished Sneak Attacker feat / Arcane Trickster.

More complicated but also more effective would be Magus (eldritch archer) 4 / Rogue (gun smuggler 1, with feat as above) / Arcane Trickster.

Could you tell me more about the button build? please?

Kurald Galain
2019-10-08, 05:22 AM
Could you tell me more about the button build? please?

Well, when a spellslinger casts spells "through" his gun, he uses a standard action to make one attack, and simply adds the gun's bonus to hit (which is not generally needed, since these are touch attacks we're talking about), and gets a higher chance to break his gun.
When an eldritch archer casts spells "through" his gun, he can use a full round action to make a volley of attacks PLUS one spell, and the spell gets both the gun's bonus to hit and a bullet's worth of extra damage.

So for instance, in one round a spellslinger would fire a Ray of Enfeeblement at a bonus; whereas an EA would fire a Ray of Enf plus two bullets (plus a third bullet if hasted). EA has much better action economy. Also, since you're starting at level 1, EA gets cantrips and Slingy does not; that is actually pretty important at low level.