PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Dungeon Master's Guild (Writing A Module)

Tawmis
2019-10-06, 12:05 PM
Has anyone written any modules for Dungeon Master's Guild that uses monsters?
https://www.dmsguild.com/

The Content and Format Questions addresses using monsters from "Monster Manual"...
https://support.dmsguild.com/hc/en-us/articles/217029298-Content-and-Format-Questions

But can the other books be used as well (Volo's Guide, Xanathar's Guide) - and if so - should it say "See Xanathar's Guide" or can the stat block be copied into the module?

So for example, the Corpse Flower is in Xanathar's Guide... could the stat block be copied into the module?
Or should it say, "See Xanathar's Guide, Page 127"

I've asked over there (just now, before posting this) - but I figured someone here may have already asked or done this and may know the answer before I hear back from them.

Bjarkmundur
2019-10-06, 01:17 PM
Wait you're writing a modulel?!?
Can I preorder?!

Tawmis
2019-10-06, 01:47 PM
Wait you're writing a modulel?!?
Can I preorder?!

Hah! Flattery will get you everywhere!

I am, indeed, writing a module.

To give some backstory to this module's creation - the regular group I DM for, one of the players (Jessica) has a brother who is playing D&D (he's played before, but his friends are all new to D&D). Their DM (brand new to D&D, but interested in it), bought the "Essentials Kit" which has the Dragon of Icespire Peak module in it. He was running them through it, but his wife just dropped a +1 Infant on them. So he had to step back. So Jessica's brother as her if I would mind stepping in as a DM, until their DM is back. I agreed, but didn't want to continue the module and take that away from their DM. So I thought, "I will just make side quests that will keep the players in the area."

They're currently in Phandalin, and level 3.

So, I flipped through the monster manual to see what would jump out at me as a "Side Quest" for them...

Ended up scribbling an entire story line down that involves a Paladin whose family is killed by a White Dragon (see how I am setting things up for the module and tying it all together). And rumor has it, the Manor (located at the southern tip of Neverwinter Forest; just north of Phanadalin has something going on!) So the party is sent there to investigate!

The story line got pretty detailed (I've made parchments from the Paladin's diary and such, that are found throughout the Manor)...

It's called "The Secret of Havenfall Manor" with the line of: His love was the foundation for his curse.

It's a pretty tragic story. (Those are the best for D&D!)

The players are running through a much looser version than the module; the module I am adding much more to it than what the players are going to experience, because I want it to feel like a real module, where as for the current players, being new to D&D I don't want to throw too much at them. But it's definitely intended as an "expansion" of Dragons of Icespire Peak, if someone wanted to use it that way (or could be a stand alone).

For the players, I'd made this Youtube video to get them hyped about the adventure...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrWL-iv8pm4

Great Dragon
2019-10-06, 02:20 PM
While I can't help you much with the OP Query, I believe that anything from the SRD can be put into a module. Monsters from the newer books would most likely need official permission to use.

Remember to include information if you are using any self-created (Homebrew) Mechanics (front of Module) or Monsters (back of Module).

I can say that there is a lot of Modules for the Phandalin area now. Let me see, (Basic Box) Phandelver Mine, (Essentials Box) Icespire, Storm Lord's Wrath, Sleeping Dragon's Wake, and Divine Contention, all of which are on D&D Beyond. Look on DMguild, for the following by Keith Stonefield: Return to Phandalin, The Missing Miners, The Ruined Abby, and Wave Echo Lake.
And apparently several more on DMguild.

Reading these will give you a good idea on how official modules are expected to look.

Also, I would really like a copy as well, so shoot me a PM when you put it up.

Hope this helps.

Tawmis
2019-10-06, 04:40 PM
While I can't help you much with the OP Query, I believe that anything from the SRD can be put into a module. Monsters from the newer books would most likely need official permission to use.

Yeah, I was looking at the SRD file (https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/SRD-OGL_V5.1.pdf) from Wizards, which includes classes, monsters and spells they put in the SRD.

They have an IMP in there, but don't have (obviously) a Berbalang (Xanathar's Guide p120). And the Berbalang in the module has the potential (depending on how players approach it), to play a big part of the module. However, if they say only SRD can be used, what I will do is create a named Imp, who is more powerful than the standard Imp (CR1) to up it so it would be closer to CR3 (for which this module is centered around), and that would give me the ability to make it closer to a Berbalang.

Remember to include information if you are using any self-created (Homebrew) Mechanics (front of Module) or Monsters (back of Module).

Already doing that. Made a Clockwork that is a Bronze Music Box with some fun abilities.

I can say that there is a lot of Modules for the Phandalin area now. Let me see, (Basic Box) Phandelver Mine, (Essentials Box) Icespire, Storm Lord's Wrath, Sleeping Dragon's Wake, and Divine Contention, all of which are on D&D Beyond. There are some independent Modules around, on DMguild, I think.
Reading these will give you a good idea on how official modules are expected to look.

Yeah! It's definitely popular because it's used for both Essentials Kit and Starter Set.

I already have two modules that tie into the "Secret of Havenfall Manor" tied to it in my head ("The Search for Jhade" and "Devil In The Details") that I would write after this one. So it would be, ideally, like those old D&D modules where they had three parts, but each could stand independently of one another.

Also, I would really like a copy as well, so shoot me a PM when you put it up.

Will do!

Great Dragon
2019-10-07, 04:16 PM
One thing of annoyance upon getting the new After Phandalin Trilogy Modules:
None of the named Encounter Sites are marked anywhere on the Regional Map.

I noticed that you include the approximate location for your Mansion, and hope that this continues in the followup modules. It's very nice to see.

Tawmis
2019-10-07, 04:58 PM
One thing of annoyance upon getting the new After Phandalin Trilogy Modules:
None of the named Encounter Sites are marked anywhere on the Regional Map.
I noticed that you include the approximate location for your Mansion, and hope that this continues in the followup modules. It's very nice to see.

Almost done writing the first module. One more room to write down - and then tidy things up a little.

And I also got an official answer back (which is good news!) to my email inquiry - (in the event anyone else is curious)...

Thank you for your inquiry! You are indeed able to reference monsters from any existing 5e source. You also are able to copy stat blocks, but we ask that you do so in moderation. For example, you can include 1-2 stat blocks, but you cannot include 10. I hope this clarifies!

Great Dragon
2019-10-08, 04:54 PM
That's great!

Being able to bring in new monsters will increase the appeal of the Module.

I look forward to see this.

Tawmis
2019-10-08, 06:41 PM
That's great!

Being able to bring in new monsters will increase the appeal of the Module.

I look forward to see this.

I pretty much finished it last night. Just need to add some little touch ups (check for spelling, make sure all the character names are consistent) and then I will be submitting it.

EDIT: It's officially available - The Secret of Havenfall Manor. (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/291151/The-Secret-of-Havenfall-Manor?affiliate_id=459615)

Great Dragon
2019-10-10, 04:45 AM
The preview looks good.
I'll see how soon I can snag this.

Tawmis
2019-10-10, 02:41 PM
The preview looks good.
I'll see how soon I can snag this.

Thank you, sir. As always I welcome feedback.

Great Dragon
2019-11-02, 09:48 AM
As always I welcome feedback.
Got it!! Finished reading and pondering.

Looks like all my initial issues were addressed, I just needed enough time to go through the entire module.

My main query now: is there a way to "bring Taris back to the light"?
Or is killing him the only way to end the Curse?

Tawmis
2019-11-05, 02:50 PM
Got it!! Finished reading and pondering.
Looks like all my initial issues were addressed, I just needed enough time to go through the entire module.
My main query now: is there a way to "bring Taris back to the light"?
Or is killing him the only way to end the Curse?

So - that would entirely be up to the Dungeon Master.
The intended purpose (as much as I love salvation stories) is for his demise being the only way to break the curse - considering he was so grief stricken he "cursed" his own family.
But if a DM wants to allow players for his soul to be redeemed - there's no reason it couldn't be - a good CHR conversation about what he's done - and make him realize the error of his ways - may have him beg his god for forgiveness...

Great Dragon
2019-11-05, 04:40 PM
So - that would entirely be up to the Dungeon Master.
The intended purpose (as much as I love salvation stories) is for his demise being the only way to break the curse - considering he was so grief stricken he "cursed" his own family.
But if a DM wants to allow players for his soul to be redeemed - there's no reason it couldn't be - a good CHR conversation about what he's done - and make him realize the error of his ways - may have him beg his god for forgiveness...

A small note included for "New DMs" about this, would be the only thing I would have added.
But, some things just need to be learned.
This is great as is.

Edit:
I'm planning on increasing the threat enough for the up to nine 7th level PCs.
I'll let ya know how it goes.