PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Invocation Ascendant Step

Setharious
2019-10-06, 01:13 PM
This could be a silly question, but I just had to ask to be sure. Could a Warlock cast levitate on himself over and over again with the ascendant step invocation to move upward infinitely? Could this ever actually be used in a helpful manner? The only weird thought I had was to get high perception, a spyglass, and a really long rope, and turn your levitating warlock into a scouting kite.

Dork_Forge
2019-10-06, 01:36 PM
This could be a silly question, but I just had to ask to be sure. Could a Warlock cast levitate on himself over and over again with the ascendant step invocation to move upward infinitely? Could this ever actually be used in a helpful manner? The only weird thought I had was to get high perception, a spyglass, and a really long rope, and turn your levitating warlock into a scouting kite.

You don't need to cast it repeatedly to keep rising, it lasts for 10 minutes and every turn you can ascend 20 feet. In the case that you actually wanted to go higher than 2000 feet then sure, you can just cast it again and keep going.

JakOfAllTirades
2019-10-06, 07:27 PM
...until you run out of air.

Quoz
2019-10-07, 04:22 AM
Simic hybrid can turn every foot of falling distance into 2 feet of horizontal glide. It's not the most efficient way to fly, but it could be fun.

Or just get a decanter of endless water to use as a jet pack.

RSP
2019-10-07, 05:05 AM
I believe the official rules state your Concentration ends on a current spell as soon as you start casting a new Concentration spell, so in that sense, there’s be a levitation gap.

Greywander
2019-10-07, 05:23 AM
You mean this isn't the intended use?

Joking aside, one limitation with Levitate is that you can only move up or down, not sideways. Good for reaching something above you, but shouldn't be confused with true flight. You can get around this by having another party member tow you, or maybe by using a grappling hook to reel yourself into where you want to go. You might be able to use Gust to push yourself. Just getting high up can be helpful, however, as it can put you out of melee range (though you'll be a sitting duck for ranged attacks) and provides some of the same utility as flight. You won't be able to cross a pit, but you can scale a cliff, and that can be pretty helpful.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-10-07, 05:36 AM
You don't need to cast it repeatedly to keep rising, it lasts for 10 minutes and every turn you can ascend 20 feet. In the case that you actually wanted to go higher than 2000 feet then sure, you can just cast it again and keep going.

Actually, if you cast it on yourself you need to use your speed:

You can change the target's altitude by up to 20 feet in either direction on your turn. If you are the target, you can move up or down as part of your move. Otherwise, you can use your action to move the target, which must remain within the spell's range.

When the spell ends, the target floats gently to the ground if it is still aloft.

Unless you read it in the way that say you are limited to only 20 ft in your turn but I never saw a table that read it like that.

Dork_Forge
2019-10-07, 05:43 AM
Actually, if you cast it on yourself you need to use your speed:

Unless you read it in the way that say you are limited to only 20 ft in your turn but I never saw a table that read it like that.

I never commented on the action economy of the spell, I am familar with the spell and clarified that you can elevate yourself more than 20ft per casting.

In terms of the amount of movement, the spell states the target (you) can move 20ft, that line clarifies that when it is cast on yourself not someone (or thing) else it can be done as part of your movement not requiring a full action. It doesn't make any reference to your movement speed and sets a clear per turn distance limitation.

It wouldn't break anything to rule that you can use your movement speed, but it isn't how the spell works.

Davo
2019-10-07, 08:38 AM
Interesting. So, my Warforged Warlock can actually become an astronaut. Good to know.

stoutstien
2019-10-07, 08:40 AM
Interesting. So, my Warforged Warlock can actually become an astronaut. Good to know.

Or built properly, an orbital laser cannon.

CNagy
2019-10-08, 08:21 AM

Sounds like a job for a henchman. "Henchcannon #1, prepare to fire on these coordinates."

stoutstien
2019-10-08, 08:29 AM
Sounds like a job for a henchman. "Henchcannon #1, prepare to fire on these coordinates."

A bunch of warforged making pacts with devil's for this power is a plot hook and a half.

Spiritchaser
2019-10-08, 09:55 AM

I’d actually love to see the L-star build...

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-10-08, 12:40 PM

Or an airship if you will have a wind cantrip and a ship as an integrated tool.

Vogie
2019-10-08, 01:00 PM
Ascendant Step acts as a:

Scouting tool, allowing a "climbing speed"
Self-only non-reaction Feather Fall
Way to keep range from melee enemies
Way to look cool