PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Fighter subclass: Shield Saint

Trandir
2019-10-06, 01:20 PM
This is a fighter subclass and the name is a provvisory one I couldn't come up with something better.

Shield Saint (sort of magical 0.4):

In this world some fight for glory, for gold or for duty, some fight to protect others and a shield saint knows no equals when it comes to that. In the battlefield they stand in the middle of the fray making sure that no one falls before them.

Lv 3
Shield Imposition:
You are able to condense energy to create small protections for others.

From 3rd level you gain access to a pool of "help" points. This pool consists of 12 points and increases by 4 points each time you gain a new level in fighter. As a bonus action you spend help points to give temporary hit points to another creature, up to 15 ft away, by the same ammount, they last untill that creature takes a long rest.
You regain all of your expended help points after a long rest.

Bonus Proficiency:
A shield saint is more educated than most warriors.

You gain proficiency in one of the following skills: history, religion, arcana, medicine or nature.

Lv 7
Combat Rhytm:
To ensure that you can protect others you also need to survive. Now you are able to pick up the rhytm of the fight making harder hitting you.

After an opponent damages you with an attack you can use your reaction to take a dodge action.

Lv 10
Help in the Time of Need:
A cry for help or the sight of a companion that suffers is unberable. Now you will always be there for those who need your help.

Once every round when a friendly creature that you can see or ear takes damage you can restore a number of help points equal to your Wisdom modifier.

Lv 15
Transposition:
While you are already able to protect others sometimes they are out of your reach. You are able to perform short jumps through space. By expending energy from your reserve you can increase the reach of this power to always be in the right place at the right time.

As a bonus action you can teleport up to 5 ft., if the space you are teleporting to is occupied by a creature willing to move you can swap position with it, if the creature is unwilling it makes a Wis ST (DC= 8+prof+wis mod) to not be subject to Transposition's effect and you do not move from your current position. If you teleport into a space occupied by an object this feature fails. You can't use this feature if your speed is 0 or if you can't move. You can use this feature by consuming help points. If you do so you increase the distance of Transposition by 5 ft. per point used.

Lv 18
Bolster:
Your energy is used more efficiently allowing it to further increase the survivability of those you protect.

When you use Shield Imposition you also grant the target resistance to a damage type of your choice, exept psychic, for as long as they have those temporary hit points.
When you use Transposition to swap place with a friendly creature you can also grant the creature advantage on next save it takes before the end of your next turn.

Well I am open to suggestions, critiques or whathaveyou.

Edit: I split the original post into two threads so some posts are no longer relevant. I apologise if this annoys someone

BerzerkerUnit
2019-10-06, 03:21 PM
ive always felt like “divine warrior” archetype was pretty locked up by the Paladin.

Maybe you could take the Features you’ve designed and rework them to fit a Paladin Oath of Protection and a few new spells?

Trandir
2019-10-06, 06:44 PM
ive always felt like “divine warrior” archetype was pretty locked up by the Paladin.

Maybe you could take the Features you’ve designed and rework them to fit a Paladin Oath of Protection and a few new spells?

This is an intresting take. A paladin of protection wouldn't be quite similar to a paladin of devotion?

Anyway I could think of the tenets for the paladin version and take away the magic from the fighter one.

Edit: I can't come up with decent tenets for an oath of protection so for now the subclass will stay as a fighter subclass rather than paladin

Edit 2: I added another subclass this time non magical

Old Harry MTX
2019-10-07, 12:44 AM
This is an intresting take. A paladin of protection wouldn't be quite similar to a paladin of devotion?

Anyway I could think of the tenets for the paladin version and take away the magic from the fighter one.

Edit: I can't come up with decent tenets for an oath of protection so for now the subclass will stay as a fighter subclass rather than paladin

Edit 2: I added another subclass this time non magical

The good thing is that the Fighter baseclass, like the Wizard, is a class sufficient clean and simple to be used as a blank canvas.

Why don't you try a different spellcasting method, like the Warlock Invocations, or even mixing a spell casting system with some defensive maneuvers?

Trandir
2019-10-07, 03:04 AM
The good thing is that the Fighter baseclass, like the Wizard, is a class sufficient clean and simple to be used as a blank canvas.

Why don't you try a different spellcasting method, like the Warlock Invocations, or even mixing a spell casting system with some defensive maneuvers?

This is a good advice. And I tryed it.

Any other way to improve it?

nickl_2000
2019-10-07, 08:00 AM
Shield Saint (Martial):

Lv 3:
Board Techniques:
When you are wielding a shield you can use the following maneuvers
•Bash
You can use your shield as a weapon it deals 1d4 B damage. If you use the shield this way you lose the bonus to AC untill the beginning of your next turn. At lv 7 the shield dmage dice increase to 1d6 and increase again to 1d8 at lv 11 and to 1d10 at lv 17. A shield +1/2/3 adds his bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls when used as a weapon.
•Shield Projection:
After you make a melee attack against a creature you can make as a bonus action an athletic check opposed by your that creature athletic check. If you win you can move up to half your speed and push the opponent in the same direction if his size is up to one size larger than you.
•Wall Splat:
If you Shove or Project a creature against a wall (or other solid objects bigger than the creature) that creature offers advantage on the next attack made against it.

So, the bash option here has a slight issue in the +1/2/3, but now that I look at it again I think what you are saying is that a magical shield with +1, etc also applies to attacks made with it. May want to spell it out a little more clearly, but if that is that case I'm good with it :) I'm not a huge fan of the damage progression for the shield, I would prefer to see it max out as 1d8 since that is the maximum damage that is given for a 1 handed weapon in 5e.

Lv 7
Heavy Lifter:
You get proficiency in the athletic skill, if you are already proficienty in it your proficiency bonus is doubled. Also if you are making an athletic check opposed by a creature of your size or smaller you get advantage on the check.

I personally think that granting both expertise and advantage on athletics checks (which are the bread and butter of this subclass) is to much. I would just give one or the other for the sake of balance.

Lv 10
Advanced Board Techniques:
•Advanced Shield Projection:
You can move up to your speed instead of half. If you and the opponet moved at least 10 ft. the opponent makes a Ref ST (DC 8+Pro. bonus+Str mod.) or falls prone.

•Avanced Bash:
If you use your shield to make a Bash attak you can keep your shield bonus.

•Advanced Wall Splat:
After you Wall Splat a creature that creature makes a Con ST (DC 8+Pro bonus+Str mod) on a fail that creature is stunned untill the end of his next turn.

I see some of your pathfinder/3.5e roots showing here. There no longer is a reflex saving throw in 5e. It's just called a Dexterity Save. Also 5e generally tends to use a Con Save verses a Con ST.

Advanced Wall Splat is overpowered. Stunned is a brutal, brutal condition which you would be able to do every single turn without any resource cost (I would lock an opponent into a wall and slam them into it over and over again to keep them locked down). If you are going to do this, you need to limit it to proficiency mod times per day or strength mod times per day, or something like that.

Lv 15
Perfect Stance:
If you are wielding your shield you are considered in half-cover against all attacks against creatures that you can see.

So, this is a flat out +2 AC. Which is pretty powerful when you are talking a subclass that will be using full plate and a shield already. Without magical item, you are looking at either a 22 AC or a 23 AC (with defensive fighting style). This isn't extremely overpowered at level 15, but if you are playing with magical items it could get to a point where nothing can hit you. I would watch this in play and leave it open for change if it becomes to much.

Lv 18
Resonating Strike:
When you deal damage to a creature with a bash that creature makes a Con ST (DC 8+Prof bonus+Str mod.) on a fail it will suffer -1 on his next Int, Wis or Cha ST. The effects of this feature stack. You can use it only once per turn independentely fron the succes or failure of the ST.

This go against the grain somewhere in 5e. It is extremely rare that something causes a negative to skills or saves, it is much more common that an ability imposes disadvantage on the next saving throw. That being said, as a capstone as long as your table doesn't mind tracking it, it should be fine.

Overall this is a solid foray into building subclasses. It is distinct, it gives a new playstyle, and it looks like it will be fun. There are a few issues, but there are ALWAYS a few issue with everyone's first draft of a subclass.

Trandir
2019-10-07, 09:07 AM
So, the bash option here has a slight issue in the +1/2/3, but now that I look at it again I think what you are saying is that a magical shield with +1, etc also applies to attacks made with it. May want to spell it out a little more clearly, but if that is that case I'm good with it :) I'm not a huge fan of the damage progression for the shield, I would prefer to see it max out as 1d8 since that is the maximum damage that is given for a 1 handed weapon in 5e.

As far as I know there are no rules that allow you to use a shield as a weapon other than use it as an improvised weapon, the wording is messy but I meant that a +3 shield gets the bonus as if it was a weapon. Maybe it was obv. but I put it in there just to be (in my head) clear.
The damage progression is a mimic of the monk's first profression but I can end it at lv 10 (as a d8) with no problem.

I personally think that granting both expertise and advantage on athletics checks (which are the bread and butter of this subclass) is to much. I would just give one or the other for the sake of balance.

How about advantage only on smaller creatures? That way it has some sense and is a lot more situational

I see some of your pathfinder/3.5e roots showing here. There no longer is a reflex saving throw in 5e. It's just called a Dexterity Save. Also 5e generally tends to use a Con Save verses a Con ST.

I am still adjusting to the new terms. Thanks for pointing out these errors

Advanced Wall Splat is overpowered. Stunned is a brutal, brutal condition which you would be able to do every single turn without any resource cost (I would lock an opponent into a wall and slam them into it over and over again to keep them locked down). If you are going to do this, you need to limit it to proficiency mod times per day or strength mod times per day, or something like that.

Yep I feared that it would be a tid too much. Would make it so that a wall splatted creature offers advantage on attacks untill the beginning of my turn change something (There should be a Save for this condition probably a Con save fells right)?
This way it's a direct upgrade of the base Wall Splat but it's not as degenate.

So, this is a flat out +2 AC. Which is pretty powerful when you are talking a subclass that will be using full plate and a shield already. Without magical item, you are looking at either a 22 AC or a 23 AC (with defensive fighting style). This isn't extremely overpowered at level 15, but if you are playing with magical items it could get to a point where nothing can hit you. I would watch this in play and leave it open for change if it becomes to much.

At lv 15 this felt like a decent boon. The DM sayed that even his homebrew are still being tested so if it reveals to be oppressive we will come up with something else.

This go against the grain somewhere in 5e. It is extremely rare that something causes a negative to skills or saves, it is much more common that an ability imposes disadvantage on the next saving throw. That being said, as a capstone as long as your table doesn't mind tracking it, it should be fine.

I thought that disadvantage on a save was too much but at lv 18 probably it's ok.

Overall this is a solid foray into building subclasses. It is distinct, it gives a new playstyle, and it looks like it will be fun. There are a few issues, but there are ALWAYS a few issue with everyone's first draft of a subclass.

Thanks I will make some changes immediately

nickl_2000
2019-10-07, 09:46 AM
As far as I know there are no rules that allow you to use a shield as a weapon other than use it as an improvised weapon, the wording is messy but I meant that a +3 shield gets the bonus as if it was a weapon. Maybe it was obv. but I put it in there just to be (in my head) clear.
The damage progression is a mimic of the monk's first profression but I can end it at lv 10 (as a d8) with no problem.

How about advantage only on smaller creatures? That way it has some sense and is a lot more situational

That should work perfectly fine. And it gives a bigger boost to people working together and casting Enlarge on the fighter.

Yep I feared that it would be a tid too much. Would make it so that a wall splatted creature offers advantage on attacks untill the beginning of my turn change something (There should be a Save for this condition probably a Con save fells right)?
This way it's a direct upgrade of the base Wall Splat but it's not as degenate.

That would be better, especially since there are a fair amount of ways to generate advantage, and yes there should be a save. Either Dex (make the impact less brutal), Con (overcome the impact affect on you), or Str (Push back to prevent the hit from being as hard) would all seem appropriate to me. I would go with Con if it were my homebrew though.

I thought that disadvantage on a save was too much but at lv 18 probably it's ok.

Think of it this way. At level 18, casters have Wish and True Polymorph, Wizards get Spell Mastery, Paladin's Aura go 30 feet, Monk get crazy resistance and invisibility, Rogues just cancel out advantage on attacks against them by being rogues.

Level 18 is meant to be powerful. I would stick with it for now, and playtest and see how it goes. The fact is, it is encouraging teamwork (which is always good).

Trandir
2019-10-07, 12:11 PM
I am reconsidering shield projection. Isn't it a little too good? As any medium race you can move 45 ft. without problems and at higher levels up to 90 ft. on an action surge turn.

Edit: the DM approved the current version of the Shield Saint (martal) renamed Linecraker since it has nothing to do with divine magic or faith

Kane0
2019-10-07, 03:58 PM
Rightio, lets have a look see. I'll clean up text and offer critique as I go.

Shield Saint (Magical 0.3):

Level 3: Spellcasting
Spell points from the DMG (page 288) should work fine here, no need to reinvent the wheel. I suggest 1/3 progression to match the Eldritch Knight. This also avoids multiclassing shenanigans (not that it would be a big deal anyways).

For spell list you can probably just use the Cleric list really.

Level 3: Bonus proficiency
You gain proficiency in one of the following skills: Arcana, History, Nature, Religion or Survival.
Not sure why survival is on the list but sure, looks good.

Level 7: Combat Rhythm
If a creature you can see makes an attack against you, you can use your reaction to take the Dodge action after the attack hits or misses.
That's pretty neat actually, I like it. Maybe change it slightly so it works after you are hit rather than attacked.

Level 10: In Times of Need
Once per round when a creature you can see attacks an ally within 30 feet of you, you regain one expended Spell Point, up to your maximum.
This roughly works out to a 1st or 2nd level spell slot per fight and doesn't use your actions. It doesn't immediately strike me as OP but worth keeping an eye on in playtesting.

Level 15: Transposition
As a bonus action you can teleport up to five feet. If you teleport into a space that is already occupied by another creature you can attempt to swap positions with it. A creature unwilling to be transposed can attempt a Wisdom saving throw against your Spell DC to resist the effect. On a successful saving throw you do not teleport.
When you use this ability you can choose to expend Spell Points to increase the distance you can teleport by an additional five feet for every Spell Point you choose to spend.
You cannot use this ability if your movement speed is 0 or if you are unable to move.
Looks good

Level 18: Crushing Counter
Whenever a creature misses you with an attack roll it must repeat the attack against its own AC. If this attack hits the creature it takes damage equal to half the damage roll of the attack.
This doesn't carry a reaction cost which makes it very, very strong but on the other hand you already have a reaction feature and this is your capstone. Will require testing or possibly a rework to be an improvement on your existing reaction feature at level 7.

Shield Saint (Martial 0.2):

Level 3: Board Techniques
When you are wielding a shield you gain the following abilities:
Shield Bash: You can use your shield as a weapon that deals 1d4 Bludgeoning damage, plus any enhancements to attack and damage rolls provides a magical bonus to AC. If you use a shield as a weapon you lose its AC bonus until the start of your next turn.
The damage increases to 1d6 at 7th level, 1d8 at 10th level, 1d10 at 15th level and 1d12 at 18th level.
Shield Projection: When you successfully shove a creature you can move into the space you pushed it from.
Wall Splat: If you successfully Shove a creature and there is a hard surface (such as a wall or boulder) stopping the creature from moving back the full distance shoved, the next attack against the creature gains advantage on the attack roll.
Bonus action shoves are already a thing in the Shield Master feat, so let's try to avoid doubling up.

Level 7: Heavy lifter
You gain proficiency in Athletics. If you are already proficient you add double your proficiency bonus for ability checks using Athletics.
Level 7 is typically not a major combat-bonus level for fighters, I'd take a look at some alternatives like maybe increasing carry capacity or shield surfing.

Level 10: Advanced Board Techniques
Advanced Shield Bash: If you attack using your shield you do not lose its AC bonus.
Advanced Shield Projection: When you successfully shove a creature you can push them up to 15 feet
Advanced Wall Splat: If you successfully Shove a creature and there is a hard surface (such as a wall or boulder) stopping the creature from moving back the full distance shoved, the creature takes 1d6 damage for every 5 feet they cannot be pushed and the next attack against the creature gains advantage on the attack roll.

Level 15: Perfect Stance:
While wielding a Shield you are considered to be behind half cover. On your turn you can use your action to increase this to three-quarters cover until the start of your next turn.
Half cover for +2 AC isn't really that special at level 15 (just look at the Shield spell), I added the option to have an on-demand increase to that which would make you a tough nut to crack if you action surged for this plus dodging.

Level 18: Resonating Strike
Once per turn when you deal damage to a creature from a Shield Bash or Wall Splat you can cause that creature to suffer a -1d4 penalty on any saving throw it makes until the start of its next turn.
You don't want to be forcing a save every attack or turn, it would slow down play and annoy the DM. A flat -1d4 stacks with disadvantage from other sources and plays up the teamwork aspect.

Hope this helps!

Trandir
2019-10-08, 04:38 AM
Rightio, lets have a look see. I'll clean up text and offer critique as I go.

Hope this helps!

It does and allow me to reply

Shield Saint (Magical 0.3):

Level 3: Spellcasting
Spell points from the DMG (page 288) should work fine here, no need to reinvent the wheel. I suggest 1/3 progression to match the Eldritch Knight. This also avoids multiclassing shenanigans (not that it would be a big deal anyways).

For spell list you can probably just use the Cleric list really.

I didn't know there was a spell point already. And the cleric spell list is fine but I'd rather not give the class access to any blast only spell.

Level 3: Bonus proficiency
You gain proficiency in one of the following skills: Arcana, History, Nature, Religion or Survival.
Not sure why survival is on the list but sure, looks good.

I doesn't you are right it is better without it

Level 7: Combat Rhythm
If a creature you can see makes an attack against you, you can use your reaction to take the Dodge action after the attack hits or misses.
That's pretty neat actually, I like it. Maybe change it slightly so it works after you are hit rather than attacked.

Mmmmmh it would change slightly the balance but then I' ll have to rename it. Fair enough what about: You got your Chance?

Level 10: In Times of Need
Once per round when a creature you can see attacks an ally within 30 feet of you, you regain one expended Spell Point, up to your maximum.
This roughly works out to a 1st or 2nd level spell slot per fight and doesn't use your actions. It doesn't immediately strike me as OP but worth keeping an eye on in playtesting.

I do not know if you rebalanced this according to the DMG spell point sistem the cleric spell list with eldrich knight progression but with my sistem 1 help point per round is almost useless since most of my low level spells are concentration or not that impactfull. It would be better to make it this way: If you roll for initiative without any help point left you can add 6 help points to your pool.
If spells are cheaper with the spell point sisten this is perfect.

Level 15: Transposition
As a bonus action you can teleport up to five feet. If you teleport into a space that is already occupied by another creature you can attempt to swap positions with it. A creature unwilling to be transposed can attempt a Wisdom saving throw against your Spell DC to resist the effect. On a successful saving throw you do not teleport.
When you use this ability you can choose to expend Spell Points to increase the distance you can teleport by an additional five feet for every Spell Point you choose to spend.
You cannot use this ability if your movement speed is 0 or if you are unable to move.
Looks good

Happy to ear that.

Level 18: Crushing Counter
Whenever a creature misses you with an attack roll it must repeat the attack against its own AC. If this attack hits the creature it takes damage equal to half the damage roll of the attack.
This doesn't carry a reaction cost which makes it very, very strong but on the other hand you already have a reaction feature and this is your capstone. Will require testing or possibly a rework to be an improvement on your existing reaction feature at level 7.

Yep needs testing. But this is also quite situational to be a lv 18 capstone right? Some fights might end without you receiving a single attack but loooots of saves.

Shield Saint (Martial 0.2):

Level 3: Board Techniques
When you are wielding a shield you gain the following abilities:
Shield Bash: You can use your shield as a weapon that deals 1d4 Bludgeoning damage, plus any enhancements to attack and damage rolls provides a magical bonus to AC. If you use a shield as a weapon you lose its AC bonus until the start of your next turn.
The damage increases to 1d6 at 7th level, 1d8 at 10th level, 1d10 at 15th level and 1d12 at 18th level.
Shield Projection: When you successfully shove a creature you can move into the space you pushed it from.
Wall Splat: If you successfully Shove a creature and there is a hard surface (such as a wall or boulder) stopping the creature from moving back the full distance shoved, the next attack against the creature gains advantage on the attack roll.
Bonus action shoves are already a thing in the Shield Master feat, so let's try to avoid doubling up.

I know is quite redundant considering Shield Master feat. But his "Shove" is made to mimic the forced movement while in a grapple. A PC with the feats Taver Brawler and Shiel Master gets most of this subclass features if you think about it. Still Shield Projection is The feature of this subclass, the one that allow you to move enemies to put them where you want and with a mobility (with decent rolls) far superior than most fighters.

Level 7: Heavy lifter
You gain proficiency in Athletics. If you are already proficient you add double your proficiency bonus for ability checks using Athletics.
Level 7 is typically not a major combat-bonus level for fighters, I'd take a look at some alternatives like maybe increasing carry capacity or shield surfing.

Well double proficiency in a skill doesn't sound very combat oriented but this one is athletics.
Still the Arcane Archer
Banneret
Battle Master (minor)
Cavalier
Eldrich Knight
Samurai (sort of)
Get something for combat at lv 7. How would you fell about: you are considered one size larger for carring capacity, shove, grapples ecc... but you get no bonus to your actual stats or natural weapons ecc...

Level 10: Advanced Board Techniques
Advanced Shield Bash: If you attack using your shield you do not lose its AC bonus.
Advanced Shield Projection: When you successfully shove a creature you can push them up to 15 feet
Advanced Wall Splat: If you successfully Shove a creature and there is a hard surface (such as a wall or boulder) stopping the creature from moving back the full distance shoved, the creature takes 1d6 damage for every 5 feet they cannot be pushed and the next attack against the creature gains advantage on the attack roll.

I see the advanced Shield Projection is basically my normal Shield Projection, I am not found of this but it can work. Also You put damage on the wall spat, 1 to 3 d6 added to the combat routine, not exiting but probably less saves the better right?

Level 15: Perfect Stance:
While wielding a Shield you are considered to be behind half cover. On your turn you can use your action to increase this to three-quarters cover until the start of your next turn.
Half cover for +2 AC isn't really that special at level 15 (just look at the Shield spell), I added the option to have an on-demand increase to that which would make you a tough nut to crack if you action surged for this plus dodging.

Well not all features have to be flashy or really powerful. You are also forgetting the +2 ro Dex saves.
Your add is nice it's an at will verions of shield that also adds +5 to Dex Saves, not bad but probably this can be abused a little bit with Shield Master don't you think?

Level 18: Resonating Strike
Once per turn when you deal damage to a creature from a Shield Bash or Wall Splat you can cause that creature to suffer a -1d4 penalty on any saving throw it makes until the start of its next turn.
You don't want to be forcing a save every attack or turn, it would slow down play and annoy the DM. A flat -1d4 stacks with disadvantage from other sources and plays up the teamwork aspect.

Ok so you took away the possibility to use it on multiple creatures and made it a saveless (that requires an attack) to trigger. Disadvantage is worth about -5 in a roll but yours can trigger the malus multiple times in a turn. I think that this might be stronger. I will probably rethink this one. It's hard to find a good capstone

Thank you very much for all the help and the comments they are really helpfull.

Bonus: how do you make those changes in your writing? I think that my monochromatic posts are quite ugly to look at

nickl_2000
2019-10-08, 07:46 AM
Bonus: how do you make those changes in your writing? I think that my monochromatic posts are quite ugly to look at

It's desktop only.

Settings -> General Settings. Scroll down to Message Editor Interface and make sure it's not set to "basic editor"

Then when you are typing a message there is an A with an arrow next to it in the middle left of the top row. That lets you highlight and set color of text.

Trandir
2019-11-08, 04:38 PM
Well the subclass got a little rework. What do you think?

Old Harry MTX
2019-11-09, 03:33 AM
Well the subclass got a little rework. What do you think?

Can you make a short log with the changes?

Trandir
2019-11-09, 04:34 AM
Can you make a short log with the changes?

Shure thing.
Changelog:

Taken away Spellcasting (mirror the eldich knight but from claric spell list) for Shield Imposition.

Reworked in Help in the Time of Need
Before triggered once per creature in a round and restored 1 point. Now triggers once per round and restores points up to your Wis mod

Removed Crushing Counter in favor of Bolster
Crushing counterr allwed you to "deflect" attacks that missed you. After an enemy attacks you and fails it repeats the attack against his own AC, if it hits it suffers all the effects from that attack and takes half the damage. Bolster improves Transposition and Shield imposition.

Lvl 2 Expert
2019-11-11, 07:51 AM
Is the idea of Help in time of need that you basically never run out of help points anymore? Because that's what it does. At level 9 you have 36 help points per day, at level 10 it's 36 per day plus 1-4 per round, which should add up to much more than 36. (Saving grave is that wis isn't the core attribute of a fighter, so the modyfier could be pretty low. Minor problem is that this very much unbalances different individual shield saints.)

At this point I'd almost consider just trying to make all abilities that use help points free rather than attaching extra bookkeeping to every round of combat.

Trandir
2019-11-11, 08:12 AM
Is the idea of Help in time of need that you basically never run out of help points anymore? Because that's what it does. At level 9 you have 36 help points per day, at level 10 it's 36 per day plus 1-4 per round, which should add up to much more than 36. (Saving grave is that wis isn't the core attribute of a fighter, so the modyfier could be pretty low. Minor problem is that this very much unbalances different individual shield saints.)

At this point I'd almost consider just trying to make all abilities that use help points free rather than attaching extra bookkeeping to every round of combat.

Well the idea is that you are always able to help your companions. What about adding the restriction of having 0 help points remaning to be able t trigger Help in Time of Need? You shouldn't burn all of then immediately but if that happens you can still provide a little help