PDA

View Full Version : 4e: PHB, DMG, MM all now due June 2008 *CONFIRMED*

Porthos
2007-10-16, 12:12 PM
Title says it (almost) all. :smallsmile:

WotC has confirmed that it will be releasing all 3 "core" 4e books next June in one fell swoop. Apparently they just made this decision last week after "overwhelming feedback from retailers and players".

So while we have to wait a month for the PHB, we don't have to wait for the DMG. And if people really want to spread their purchases around, no one is forcing you to buy all three books at once. Just by them once a month like you were already planning. :smallwink:

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=209661 (confirmation at posts #21 & #32 in the thread)

Ceres
2007-10-16, 12:19 PM
Thanks for telling, Porthos. Not quite sure how to react to this. I'm sad I have to wait another month, but then again I'll be able to start a complete campaign faster, without having to homebrew all the monsters and traps.

RTGoodman
2007-10-16, 12:20 PM
Yeah, but now I don't get a whole month to pore over each book as it comes out, because, knowing me, I'll go out and buy all three of them at one time.

Kurald Galain
2007-10-16, 12:24 PM
Didn't they just delay the first two books until the third was to be published? :smallbiggrin:

(ed) that's nine months from now... methinks they've started the teasers too quickly.

Porthos
2007-10-16, 12:30 PM
Didn't they just delay the first two books until the third was to be published? :smallbiggrin:

They delayed the PHB, but brought up the DMG. :smallsmile: So, it's all a wash in the end, :smallsmile:

KIDS
2007-10-16, 02:08 PM
Thanks a lot for the information, for someone who intends to (pre)order the books from Amazon and lives in a far corner of the world, this is very helpful. I was already panicking about how I'd have to either wait a whole lot or pay 3 times the postage. Hooray!

Somebloke
2007-10-16, 02:47 PM
How Annoying. I had a whole pre-DMG quick intro session already worked out in my head...

OzymandiasVolt
2007-10-16, 03:10 PM
How excellent. No arbitrary delays to interfere with gameplay.

Person_Man
2007-10-16, 03:54 PM
Now the real question: How long will it be before all three leak onto the internet? They've already sent out beta versions to a small group of random playtesters. I'm guessing we'll all be able to read it by December.

Thanks for the post Porthos.

Solo
2007-10-16, 04:13 PM
Now the real question: How long will it be before all three leak onto the internet? They've already sent out beta versions to a small group of random playtesters. I'm guessing we'll all be able to read it by December.

I have no idea what you are talking about. At all. :smallsmile:

Jarlax
2007-10-16, 06:04 PM
i like the change. i feel like giving a PHB and then having to wait 2 months to have all the rest of the tools for the system was unreasonable. i know a lot of people were going to have a crack at using just the PHB to DM.

but i feel like with a new encounter design system and most of the significant treasure normally situated in the DMG it would have been an poor introduction into 4E, particularly if you present such a setup to a person who is already a skeptic.

so now i am all set up. i get the Keep on the shadowfell the month before. then the three rulebooks, then i can probably be DMing halfway into june if not sooner, because i only need to know what a PC needs to know. the adventure is pre-made.

KIDS
2007-10-17, 06:35 AM

Thanks for the post Porthos.

I think that there is going to be a SRD (without fluff or poetry of course, but basic mechanics yes) before the books come out anyway, why would anyone indulge in piracy over this?

(yeah I know that was a rhethorical question)

Eldmor
2007-10-17, 07:10 AM
My question now is: Will there be a bundle pack that costs less?

Techonce
2007-10-17, 08:40 AM
My question now is: Will there be a bundle pack that costs less?

Yes but in tru wizards fashion, you buy a box with three books in it, but you won't know what three books until you open it.

** Open Box ** Sweet! A 4.0 PHB. Darn. A manual for a Xerox machine and the Hello Kitty RPG. Guess I need to buy another box to try and get the DMG.

Darth Mario
2007-10-17, 08:58 AM
Yes but in tru wizards fashion, you buy a box with three books in it, but you won't know what three books until you open it.

** Open Box ** Sweet! A 4.0 PHB. Darn. A manual for a Xerox machine and the Hello Kitty RPG. Guess I need to buy another box to try and get the DMG.

Awww crap, not another Book of Exalted Deeds... I don't even use the first one... And what's this 2nd edition Monster Manual doing here?

Josh the Aspie
2007-10-17, 09:20 AM
I think that there is going to be a SRD (without fluff or poetry of course, but basic mechanics yes) before the books come out anyway, why would anyone indulge in piracy over this?

(yeah I know that was a rhethorical question)

Just, theoretically... because copyright law as it currently stands is so broken and so discourages innovation (rather than encouraging it, the original intent) that even most lawful people with an understanding of the constitution and the intent of the framers ignore it?

Not saying I would. I use the SRD more than my paper books anyway when I'm online.

I just use my PDFs because it's hard to take a whole shelf full of books that I actually own to game days, and have them on the table to look stuff up in. Aside from the core 3, books I don't have in PDF, and the Expanded Psionics handbook... I just look up stuff on a PDF copy.

Rex Blunder
2007-10-17, 09:21 AM
I believe there will be a bundle pack that costs 10 cents more. But it comes with a sL1P Cov3r!!!