PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Changing Character Mid-Campaign

FoxDropz
2019-10-07, 06:28 PM
Whatsup guys!
Need some help picking a Class/Subclass for a new character mid-campaign.

- My D&D Background:
Intermediate Player: Played 3 incomplete 3.5e campaigns (Barbarian, Melee Ranger and Warblade) and 2 incomplete 5e (Vengeance Paladin and Tempest Cleric). Maybe I played like 40 sessions overall.

- Situation:
Last year, I started playing Curse of Strahd with my friend and I rolled as Tempest Cleric.
However, we ended up "pausing" the campaign like we always do... due to lack of time, work/life problems.
Our DM is thinking about resuming the campaign soon, but Im not happy with my level 5 Cleric. Even though I have a damage-oriented build, the party sees me as a healbot.
So I wanna change my Character, make a new one.. New Class and everything.
*EDIT: The DM decided not to continue the Curse of Stradh campaign. Instead, he will choose a new campaign. So the players are gonna create brand new players lvl1.

I need some help making this new Character. For starters, picking my new Class/Subclass.
I'll list my preferences so you guys can make your suggestions based on them:

- Classes I dislike: Ranger (dont like the theme), Druid (dont like the theme), Cleric (no healbots for now on haha), Bard (seems overwhelming and Im kinda shy for a bard playstyle).
- I like Damage Dealer Classes, not "support-oriented" (healers or buffers).
- Im not the most active RP player, but not the worst either. Middle of the pack, I guess.
- Maybe a Class that I wont be overwhelmed as an intermediate player.
- Trying to choose a Class that is balanced like: combat (50%), social (25%) and exploration (25%).
- Cool tricks/moves are also appreciated. Trying not to pick a dull/boring Class. Little bit of flavor on it!

Which Class/Subclass do you suggest me to roll?

Nidgit
2019-10-07, 06:38 PM
How would you feel about a Divine Soul Sorcerer? It can overlap its spells known with a Cleric for an easier transition for you but also blasts with the best of them.

As I'm sure you know, Clerics are extremely valuable in Curse of Strahd. What does the rest of your party look like, and do you prefer casters, frontliners melee, or skirmishing?

FoxDropz
2019-10-07, 06:51 PM
How would you feel about a Divine Soul Sorcerer? It can overlap its spells known with a Cleric for an easier transition for you but also blasts with the best of them.

As I'm sure you know, Clerics are extremely valuable in Curse of Strahd. What does the rest of your party look like, and do you prefer casters, frontliners melee, or skirmishing?

Hmm.. I dont know, seems a bit too close to the whole healer/religion kind of thing. But idk, never played so I might be jumping to conclusions.
The rest of the party: fighter, monk, sorcerer and rogue. Someone might change their Class too. But the DM said that it wouldnt be aproblem if for some reason I'd choose one of those classes too.
Well, overall I've played more melee than caster. But tbh, I dont have like a prefered playstyle. I had fun with all those previous classes, regardless.

stoutstien
2019-10-07, 06:53 PM
Whatsup guys!
Need some help picking a Class/Subclass for a new character mid-campaign.

- My D&D Background:
Intermediate Player: Played 3 incomplete 3.5e campaigns (Barbarian, Melee Ranger and Warblade) and 2 incomplete 5e (Vengeance Paladin and Tempest Cleric). Maybe I played like 40 sessions overall.

- Situation:
Last year, I started playing Curse of Strahd with my friend and I rolled as Tempest Cleric.
However, we ended up "pausing" the campaign like we always do... due to lack of time, work/life problems.
Our DM is thinking about resuming the campaign soon, but Im not happy with my level 5 Cleric. Even though I have a damage-oriented build, the party sees me as a healbot.
So I wanna change my Character, make a new one.. New Class and everything.

I need some help making this new Character. For starters, picking my new Class/Subclass.
I'll list my preferences so you guys can make your suggestions based on them:

- Classes I dislike: Ranger (dont like the theme), Druid (dont like the theme), Warlock (dont like the theme), Cleric (no healbots for now on haha), Bard (seems overwhelming and Im kinda shy for a bard playstyle).
- Im not the most active RP player, but not the worst either. Middle of the pack, I guess.
- Trying to choose a Class that is balanced like: combat (50%), social (25%) and exploration (25%).
- Cool tricks/moves are also appreciated. Trying not to pick a dull/boring Class. Little bit of flavor on it!

Only prepare healing word for healing spells.
Lv 5 is when cleric comes into their element. Spirit guardian, meld into stone(Ritual), and for tempest sleet storm and call lighting are all game changers.

The cleric being seen as a healbot is disregarding 90% of the class.

Saying that, a Paladin sounds right. Very new user friendly that checks all the boxes. Vengeance is just straight up a beast.

Curse of strahd can be a brutal one. Everyone should have some of the healing/recovery responsibilities.

Nidgit
2019-10-07, 07:00 PM
Hmm.. I dont know, seems a bit too close to the whole healer/religion kind of thing. But idk, never played so I might be jumping to conclusions.
The rest of the party: fighter, monk, sorcerer and rogue. Someone might change their Class too. But the DM said that it wouldnt be aproblem if for some reason I'd choose one of those classes too.
Well, overall I've played more melee than caster. But tbh, I dont have like a prefered playstyle. I had fun with all those previous classes, regardless.
Seems to me that part of the reason your Cleric was treated as a healbot is because they were the only source of healing for your party. That's...kind of a hard problem to fix on your own.

Anyways, a Divine Soul Sorcerer isn't necessarily religious; they just have a blessing or have a bit of holy blood. Your character certainly wouldn't need to be devout.

Anyways, to avoid doubling up on classes, Wizard or Paladin might seem like your best bets. Wizards have enough spells to fill any non-healing magic user role you want, while Paladins are fantastic frontliners that passively make everyone else better. Paladins don't need to be religious either in 5e, just dedicated to a few ideals.

Barbarian could also be fairly viable, particularly if you went for a Wolf Totem and gave your other melee fighters advantage.

stoutstien
2019-10-07, 07:08 PM

Sorcerer grabs Inspiring leader, fighter or rogue grabs the healer feat, monk need those ASI, yea I'd say paladin for sure for this group.

Tawmis
2019-10-07, 07:38 PM
- Classes I dislike: Ranger (dont like the theme), Druid (dont like the theme), Warlock (dont like the theme), Cleric (no healbots for now on haha), Bard (seems overwhelming and Im kinda shy for a bard playstyle).

Why not some kind of Paladin (Vengeance Paladin, maybe?)

This allows you to deal the damage you want, can be used for social (Charisma), and exploration (the heavy armor and weapons will keep you safe... well, as safe as you can be with Strahd running around...)

Bobthewizard
2019-10-07, 08:07 PM
The rest of the party: fighter, monk, sorcerer and rogue.

If you told me you were playing Curse of Strahd and this was the rest of your party, I'd tell you to play a cleric. Take spiritual weapon and spirit guardians and charge the front line in combat. Use healing word or revivify when someone drops but otherwise make them use their hit dice. Maybe take lesser restoration and remove curse for when you need it but that should be fairly rare. Don't take any other HP healing spells until you get heal.

If you have to switch, I'd go devotion paladin so you can still turn undead. But a cleric is better.

FoxDropz
2019-10-08, 09:52 PM
Well, quick update: The DM decided not to continue the Curse of Stradh campaign. Instead, he will choose a new campaign. So the players are gonna create brand new players lvl1.
On that note, Im leaning towards playing a Rogue!
Which archetype and Race do you guys suggest?

Nidgit
2019-10-09, 12:15 AM
Well, quick update: The DM decided not to continue the Curse of Stradh campaign. Instead, he will choose a new campaign. So the players are gonna create brand new players lvl1.
On that note, Im leaning towards playing a Rogue!
Which archetype and Race do you guys suggest?
Thief is the everyman subclass that specializes in Item use for tricks.
Assassin relies on surprise for some incredible damage, but that can be DM-dependent.
Arcane Trickster is versatile and one of the best ranged options.
Scout is essentially a powerful spell-less Ranger.
Swashbuckler loves melee and skirmishing and does it quite well.
Inquisitive and Mastermind are both a bit more socially-oriented but are still decent in a fight.

Half-Elf, Halfling, and Tabaxi are all popular races for a Rogue. Any Elf race opens up the possibility for Elven Accuracy, which benefits Rogues greatly.