PDA

View Full Version : DM Help DM Help SLA for every one >:D (Pathfinder)

Nosta
2019-10-07, 08:32 PM
so I am going to Run a homebrew game

where magic is common - every one has it in some way those 95% only have a level 1 , 2 or 3 spell like power where as stuff like full arcane magic is rare and Divine magic is even rarer
'
so I need help picking out a bunch of level 1 -3 spells for my players to roll for . thinking 50 and i want a good variety

2019-10-07, 08:48 PM
Does frequency change by spell level, or are they all at-will?

Nosta
2019-10-07, 08:55 PM
Does frequency change by spell level, or are they all at-will?

that part i need to work out

I may do Half level Min 1 per day

legomaster00156
2019-10-07, 09:03 PM
Why not just make Sorcerers commonplace?

Nosta
2019-10-07, 09:10 PM
Why not just make Sorcerers commonplace?

Cause I want my players to have SLP with out forcing them to be a spell caster if they don't want to be

also its fluff of the world

2019-10-07, 09:23 PM
An SLA I can't pick or build around has probably a 99% chance of being pretty useless to me. If it cares about save DC, I've probably got a 1/3 chance I'm invested in the associated attribute at all, and if it's some kind of buff, it's got a high chance of either being too situational to use more than once a day or being absolutely fantastic for a kind of character that I'm definitely not. It's a cute idea for fleshing out the world but it's unlikely to be something the players care about exploiting for themselves. It'll just end up being something on their character sheet that basically never comes up.

Honestly, for determining what spells to give, you could do a lot worse than just...using the Advanced Spell Search to find every core spell level 1-3 and rolling randomly.

Jack_Simth
2019-10-07, 10:03 PM
so I am going to Run a homebrew game

where magic is common - every one has it in some way those 95% only have a level 1 , 2 or 3 spell like power where as stuff like full arcane magic is rare and Divine magic is even rarer
'
so I need help picking out a bunch of level 1 -3 spells for my players to roll for . thinking 50 and i want a good variety

You're basically looking at a Minor Scroll Roll (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm). Yes, those are the 3.5 tables; Pathfinder removed the actual DMG listings from the SRD, apparently, but basically all of the existing 3.5 spells got into Pathfinder.

However...

Do you use a point buy? Keep in mind, stat distribution is also (in world) random. Yet one of the very standard methods of stat generation is to let the players decide. I might suggest coming up with rules for what's permitted (Maybe... no expensive components, can't use it if it's race-restricted unless you're that race; 0-3 if it's a Full Caster list (gets 9ths - Cleric, Wizard, Druid, et cetera) list, 0-2 if it's from a partial caster list (gets 6ths: Bard, Summoner, et cetera), 0-1 if it's a half-caster list (spell list only goes up to 4ths - Paladin, Ranger, et cetera)), rules for how often it can be used that possibly encourages lower-level spells (perhaps: 3rd level spells are 1/day, 2nd level spells are 2/day, 1st level spells are 4/day, cantrips are at-will), info on DC (perhaps: 10 + spell level + Your highest mental ability score modifier), caster level (perhaps: = character level), and then... just let the players pick, like they do their skills, feats, class, and so on.

javcs
2019-10-08, 02:30 AM
Try stuff like the Magewright and Adept spell lists.

Possibly, free/bonus Reserve feats without needing to be a spellcaster or have spells available.

Or maybe a bit of both.

If your thinking is near universal low level magic, you could grant everybody gestalt with Magewright or Adept, they have to pick one and stick with it for 20 levels, but allow use of a different mental stat, chosen at 1st level.
Maybe combine that with free or bonus reserve feats.