PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Incarnate Effigy Human

Afghanistan
2019-10-07, 08:48 PM
I am trying to make a character based on this particular template suite, but am frankly stumped on where to actually build beyond this. Just from a cursory glance, it looks like you would end up with:

Size/Type: Changed to Humanoid. Loses all subtypes, does not gain augmented subtype.
Hit Dice and Hit Points: Drop any hit dice from class levels to a minimum of one. This Hit Dice is then converted to a d8. As they are not longer a construct, they do not gain bonus hit points. Apparently, according to Savage Species (page 5-6) they can replace this Hit dice with an actual class level.
Speed: 30ft
Armor Class: Improves by 2 and is then reduced (somehow) to +3 :smallconfused:
Attack: Remains the same (gains and loses Slam attack)
Damage: Remains the same (gains and loses Slam attack)
Special Attacks: Lose all Special Attacks
Special Qualities: Lose all Special Qualities
Base Saves: Gain base saves from Humanoid Hit Dice (+3 Reflex); This is presumably lost once they replace their first class level.
Abilities: Strength increased by 4, -2 penalty to Dexterity, gain a Constitution and Intelligence Score of 4d6 (drop lowest); Wisdom Score is 11 and Charisma becomes 3.
Skills: No skills gained from first level/Hit Dice. Skills presumable gained at 2nd level.
Feats: No feats gained from first level/Hit Dice. Feats presumable gained at 2nd level.
Challenge Rating: divided by 2.

As your starting base. Admittedly, I am not sure if the skills and bonus feat of the Human would be maintained or lost during this transfer, but if this is correct, how would one build around these parameters? What would this creature even be capable of doing and how can you design around this?

Kelb_Panthera
2019-10-08, 04:24 PM
Basically, you'd look like a human but, instead of the normal human racial benefits, you'd get strength 14, dex 8, wis 11, cha 3, and con and int 4d6b3 along with a +2 natural armor bonus and that's it. The single racial HD you'd othewise get and its related benefits (saves, bab) are overwritten by class levels. A game master might allow you to pointbuy or roll all your stats for such a character, in which case it's +4 str, -2 dex, and -8 cha.

The stats lend themselves to a warrior of some kind but they don't exclude any kind of caster as long as it's not a charisma based one. If you don't get to roll stats other than con and int then you're definitely stuck with either a warrior or a int based caster.

Afghanistan
2019-10-08, 07:42 PM
The stats lend themselves to a warrior of some kind but they don't exclude any kind of caster as long as it's not a charisma based one. If you don't get to roll stats other than con and int then you're definitely stuck with either a warrior or a int based caster.

I tried fiddling with the rebuild rules in Player's Handbook 2 (Page 196-197), but ultimately the results are the same with the end creature being no better or worse than if you had just played a Human. This isn't for playing mind you, I was just curious if anyone with more experience could figure out any way to redeem this creature or if anyone could answer whether or not an Effigy of a Human would maintain their bonus feat and other racial benefits or not. As Human's lack a Monster Manual entry, I can't find a suitable answer for that, and a short parsing of the Rules Compendium is quite lacking on an answer.

weckar
2019-10-09, 12:10 AM
Seems you'd be better off with an Awakened Human Effigy. At least then the Awaken Construct spell could be maximized.

Afghanistan
2019-10-09, 12:21 AM
Seems you'd be better off with an Awakened Human Effigy. At least then the Awaken Construct spell could be maximized.

I agree, but much prefer the fleshy aspect of it all, it needs to ultimately be a living creature at the end of the day. I'm curious if making it an Awakened Incarnate Effigy Human would allow it to keep it's feats from being an Awakened creature since the text for Incarnate just says they do not gain anything, but they don't lose any they previously had, but unless it is maximized the creature is then severely weakened :smallannoyed:

Kelb_Panthera
2019-10-09, 01:03 AM
I tried fiddling with the rebuild rules in Player's Handbook 2 (Page 196-197), but ultimately the results are the same with the end creature being no better or worse than if you had just played a Human. This isn't for playing mind you, I was just curious if anyone with more experience could figure out any way to redeem this creature or if anyone could answer whether or not an Effigy of a Human would maintain their bonus feat and other racial benefits or not. As Human's lack a Monster Manual entry, I can't find a suitable answer for that, and a short parsing of the Rules Compendium is quite lacking on an answer.

You don't keep the bonus feat or extra skill points from human because effigy doesn't keep them. When you go from being an effigy of a human to an incarnate effigy, you never were human. There's nothing to keep from being human because you never were. You get the ability adjustments and the extra natural armor but that's it. Incarnate construct takes the rest of the effigy features and effigy already took all the human features.

Honestly, it's not a bad race if you want to build a warrior, presuming you get to be an incarnated effigy of a non-standard human specimen; read: you get to use the stat adjustments as racial adjustments on an otherwise normally rolled character. How many other characters get to say "a wizard spent thousands of gold to make me."