PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next A Ranger Without Spells...

Mourne
2019-10-07, 11:56 PM
The final version of a (mostly) spell-free ranger. The intent of the class was to replicate a more “classic” fantasy ranger along the lines of Aragorn [Strider] -- meaning more rugged warrior in tune with the natural world than a spellcaster. The core features of the class are based around combat mobility (and impacting it on foes), travel – particularly in natural environments, herbal lore, and natural bonding with beasts. Nothing earth shattering.

On a side note, I always create custom fighting styles for those classes that have the feature so as not to duplicate the fighter's styles and more closely align with the concept. Many are just slightly modified fighter styles while others are specific to this ranger.

The original core feature of this class [Ranging] was different and was an attempt to really promote the mobility aspect (see below), even triggering the feature based off of movement. While the theory was interesting, the mechanic just proved too clunky. I don’t love the replacement Ranging feature as much as it doesn’t provide a “unique” mechanism for the class, though it does meet the goal/intent.

Striking fast and hard becomes second nature in the wilds where there is a delicate balance between being prey and predator. You have learned to incorporate mobility with your fighting style, easily flowing from defensive steps to deadly strikes. During your turn when you move at least 10 feet or more and stop your movement next to a hostile creature or are subject to an opportunity attack due to moving out of a hostile creature’s reach, you deal bonus damage with your next melee weapon attack.

In addition, any time that you move at least 10 feet and are within 30 feet of a hostile creature, you deal bonus damage with your next ranged weapon attack.

This bonus damage is shown in Ranging Damage column of the Ranger class table. When you inflict Ranging Damage on a creature, opportunity attacks against you from that creature are made at disadvantage until the start of your next turn.

The Ranger Talent feature allows for a modular approach and more personal build (imo). The talents tend to align to one of the following core precepts: stealth, natural terrain and travel, beasts, healing, and mobile combat.

The conclaves, given that most of the core features are defined in the base class and further refined through talents, tend to focus completely on their theme. Quite a few of the conclaves reference my campaign world (apologies).

This class is a combination of personal designs and inspiration from (many) other homebrews. If you see something that looks familiar, it’s likely been lifted and modified. ; )

Always happy for any feedback.

LINK: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q672xfbx3ep0gdi/Pr_Ranger_5E%20RAW.pdf?dl=0

Please let me know if there are link issues. I had been using GMBinder but had a lot of [caching] issues where my brews would be overwritten with gibberish or edits from other documents. Dropbox is new to me.

EDIT: I have bounced back and forth between granting Cartographer's Tools or Herbalism Kit as a proficiency. Currently, the class lists cartographer's... I had changed this to herbalism but it didn't make it into this version of the doc.

Old Harry MTX
2019-10-08, 12:47 AM
Hi Mourne! Can you write it also inside a post, so it would be more usable and easily commentable?

Thanks a lot!