PDA

View Full Version : Spellmaster / "Lore" Wizard (Help)

Vox Silentii
2019-10-08, 07:05 AM
So my friend wanted help creating a wizard subclass that focused on getting spells from other classes somehow and just knowing alot of how spells work.

I just want to point out that he is not a power gamer, he is a roleplayer first and foremost.

So he wanted to maybe mix up his normal spells and late game create his own under the dm's supervision.

We figured that if he had access to other spell lists then he could only take those that were half his available spell slots rounded up

Taking spells from elsewhere takes double time and money

For ex. He has acces to 5th level wizard spells then when he lvl he could learn a 3rd lvl bard spell.

Plus, he learns identify and legend lore at the available levels and always has them prepared and do not count towards prepared spells.

We are not that used to homebrewing yet so any ideas and thoughts that pop up, please share and help us create it.

noob
2019-10-08, 07:44 AM
A simple way would be adding a class feature similar to magical secrets: one time you add some spells from out of your list to your spell list.

jjordan
2019-10-08, 08:26 AM
I'd make it so they have to make a DC20 + (2xSpell Level) using intelligence and Arcana for every 24 hours they spend studying the spell. Must spend 50gp per 24hrs. This encompasses doing research, making notes in the spell book, and experimenting. Spell acquisition becomes a task. Apply modifiers based on the difficulty of the task. If the wizard saw the spell used once and it's part of a divine domain then maybe it's super hard for them to replicate the spell. Maybe they can't do it. Maybe they can only come up with less-effective variant of the spell. Compare that with being taught how the spell works by a willing practitioner. That would make it much easier to acquire the spell.

The crafting rules adapt nicely to situations like this.

Vox Silentii
2019-10-08, 08:45 AM
Nevermind, the lore mastery wizard from unearthed arcana captures it splendidly.
So mods can just delete this thread :)

noob
2019-10-08, 08:58 AM
Nevermind, the lore mastery wizard from unearthed arcana captures it splendidly.
So mods can just delete this thread :)

except it is very well known for being completely overpowered.

theVoidWatches
2019-10-08, 09:18 AM
If you're confident in your friend not breaking the game, then a very simple subclass for this would be that each time you get a subclass feature, you can pick another spell list to be able to learn spells from. No other extra features, and if you want to learn a cleric spell you learn one less wizard spell that level.

A more toned down version would give you Magical Secrets each time - pick a spell list to have been studying, take 2 spells from that list in addition to your normal wizard spells. This would give more spells overall, but would restrict how many spells from outside the wizard list you can have.

notXanathar
2019-10-09, 12:02 PM
people have mentioned magical secrets, which you should absolutely think about. My take on it is you choose one or two spells from a non-wizard spell list. you have spent time developing the specific magical theory required to use these spells, and only these spells as wizard spells, which is a notable feat. having done so, they're on your spell list as wizard spells, so you can get them back if you lose your spell book, but you can't change them out later. also look at the UA on modifying classes, and be careful around wizards with healing, as at 18th level they could just spam it, though that's a long way off.

also check out the 17th level arcane trickster feature. that would be a cool thing to have which fits your thing, although be careful of flavour as you transplant it. maybe less stealing, more careful imitation and a ridiculously high arcana DC (20+spell level anyone?).
that's my take on the matter anyway.