PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A How does the Conjure Elemental spell work?

OverDemon
2019-10-08, 07:07 AM
So obviously the spell conjures an elemental, however, I'm uncertain about various aspects of the spell. For example, the text of the spell says:

...An elemental of challenge rating 5 or lower appropriate to the area you chose appears in an unoccupied space within 10 feet of it. For example, a Fire Elemental emerges from a bonfire, and an Earth Elemental rises up from the ground...

The first thing I notice is that we don't get to choose which elemental we get, unlike the Summon Greater Demon spells that lets us choose which type of demon we get. However, and this is where I get concerned, neither does it say that we "choose" which level of CR elemental we get, as the Conjure Minor Elementals implies:

You choose one the following options for what appears: One elemental of challenge rating 2 or lower. Two elementals of challenge rating 1 or lower. Four elementals of challenge rating 1/2 or lower. Eight elementals of challenge rating 1/4 or lower.

So, while we get to choose which element to summon from (fire, air, water, earth), I'm uncertain about what else we have power over? If a 5th level spell slot is expended for Conjure Elemental, are we then guaranteed to get a CR 5 elemental, or could the DM simply hit us with a CR 1/2 Mephit of the appropriate element?

What about upcasting the spell? To my knowledge, the only CR 6 elementals there are is the Galeb Duhr and the Invisible Stalker. For CR 7 elementals there are the Elemental Myrmidons from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, which I'm uncertain about could be summoned since their flavor text makes it sounds more like they're created? And then I know of no CR 8 or 9 elementals that could be summoned.

Finally, returning to the text of the spell, it says that the elemental appears "appropriate to the area" So I wonder whether there's an unspoken restriction there? They give the example of: "a fire elemental emerges from a bonfire, and an earth elemental rises up from the ground". Does that imply that you can't summon a fire elemental from a torch or a water elemental from a puddle?

So, in summation:

Can we control the CR of the Elemental?
Does upcasting the spell guarantee a "better" Elemental?
Does the quantity of fire, air, water or earth affect spell?

Thank you for your time.

NaughtyTiger
2019-10-08, 07:56 AM
The intent of the spell is that you choose the CR/number that will appear.
Conjure Elemental also lets you choose the base element.

Most of the spells (conjure animals, fey, woodland beings) the DM chooses which specific critter shows up. (per intent, strict wording is unclear who chooses)

if there are multiple options at the CR/element you choose (like mephits) the DM could demand to make the choice. typically, DMs will give you which ever one you have the stats for (so they don't have to look em up)

you have to have 10' cube of the element, so fountain, yes. not a puddle, not a torch. but DMs don't "usually" enforce that...

1) you control CR
2) upcasting guarantees better CR, unless the DM is a jerk.
3) quality of element... not officially, but i like it... more/less HP based on stagnant water vs ocean...

MaxWilson
2019-10-08, 08:00 AM
So, while we get to choose which element to summon from (fire, air, water, earth), I'm uncertain about what else we have power over? If a 5th level spell slot is expended for Conjure Elemental, are we then guaranteed to get a CR 5 elemental, or could the DM simply hit us with a CR 1/2 Mephit of the appropriate element?

What about upcasting the spell? To my knowledge, the only CR 6 elementals there are is the Galeb Duhr and the Invisible Stalker. For CR 7 elementals there are the Elemental Myrmidons from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, which I'm uncertain about could be summoned since their flavor text makes it sounds more like they're created? And then I know of no CR 8 or 9 elementals that could be summoned.

Finally, returning to the text of the spell, it says that the elemental appears "appropriate to the area" So I wonder whether there's an unspoken restriction there? They give the example of: "a fire elemental emerges from a bonfire, and an earth elemental rises up from the ground". Does that imply that you can't summon a fire elemental from a torch or a water elemental from a puddle?

So, in summation:

Thank you for your time.

Only a jerk DM would give you an underpowered creature like a mephit. In practice that will never happen.

CR 5 also has Salamanders for fire. Yes, upcasting improves the elementals. DM is free to homebrew more powerful elementals, including by just upscaling the existing MM elementals. You named some other options but don't overlook CR 9 Frost Salamander (from Mordenkainen's) with its five attacks and juicy AoE.

Quantity of element must fill the 10' cube, so if you want a Salamander or Fire elemental, no you can't use a torch, you need to build a bonfire first.

stoutstien
2019-10-08, 08:14 AM
So obviously the spell conjures an elemental, however, I'm uncertain about various aspects of the spell. For example, the text of the spell says:

The first thing I notice is that we don't get to choose which elemental we get, unlike the Summon Greater Demon spells that lets us choose which type of demon we get. However, and this is where I get concerned, neither does it say that we "choose" which level of CR elemental we get, as the Conjure Minor Elementals implies:

So, in summation:

Thank you for your time.

Most DM will give you your elemental of choice because it's less prone to abuse like the other conjure X spells. There are some fun nonstandard options to look in to.

Throne12
2019-10-08, 07:16 PM
The Components you use determines the type of elemental.

Burning Incense for air
Soft clay for earth
Sulfer and Phosphorus for fire
Water and sand for water.

Dont for get to look at the hole spell .

JackPhoenix
2019-10-08, 11:55 PM
The Components you use determines the type of elemental.

Burning Incense for air
Soft clay for earth
Sulfer and Phosphorus for fire
Water and sand for water.

Dont for get to look at the hole spell .

No, the area you target determines the type of elemental. You don't even have to use M component if you have focus.

Callak_Remier
2019-10-09, 08:01 AM
Important thing to note.
Elemental myrmidons, while technically are elementals are not summonable elementals.

Myrmidons are Elementals bound to eternal servitude by a wizard.
By summoning an elemental and binding it to enchanted suit of armour.

OverDemon
2019-10-09, 05:48 PM
Important thing to note.
Elemental myrmidons, while technically are elementals are not summonable elementals.

Is that a written rule I've overlooked, or something that is implied by it's flavor test?

Also, while looking around a bit I came across an elemental I've missed previously. The Frost Salamander from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes. Would that be a legal summon? While I was excited upon finding it, I myself have doubts since the Conjure Elemental spell specify that you choose an area of air, earth, fire or water and this is from the Plance of Ice.

I must confess to becoming somewhat disappointed in the summoning potential of this spell. Without the Myrmidons or the Frost Salamander, there really is no choice above CR 6. I'm starting to doubt whether summoning was ever intended to be an actual strategy or just a flavorful ability that doesn't scale.

MaxWilson
2019-10-09, 05:54 PM
Important thing to note.

Eh, I mostly agree, in the sense that I'd never just make an elemental myrmidon show up when you cast Conjure Elemental VII, although I might make one show up if you Conjure Elemental VII after first prepping a suit of magical armor for it.

But it doesn't really matter anyway, because the CR 7 elemental Myrmidons are almost a strict downgrade from a a CR 5 Earth Elemental. Less mobility, less AC, no tremorsense, worse to-hit and damage. The only respect in which they win out is access to magic weapons, which matters when you're fighting demons and other elementals.

sithlordnergal
2019-10-09, 06:35 PM
Important thing to note.

Technically incorrect. There is no RAW restriction to summoning an Elemental Myrmidon outside of casting Conjure Elemental. Fluff text is just that, fluff. It technically has no bearing on the mechanical workings of the spell. If the fluff mattered that much, then I'd have had a hard time explaining why my ghost pirate ship was being steered by a Merrenoloth to give them an unsinkable ship outside of Summon Greater Demon.

That said, since Conjure Elemental has the DM choose what is summoned and requires you to set up things like a bonfire, earthy area, ect., I could easily see a DM requiring you to toss some plate armor into the prep stuff to get a Myrmidon.

EDIT: To OP, the DM does get to decide what Elemental is chosen. And casting it at a higher level does not guarantee that you'll get a stronger Elemental.

Chronos
2019-10-09, 07:54 PM
What's a bit odd is that some elementals, even from the same tier, are tougher to summon than others. In most adventuring environments, you're almost always going to have earth and air available, you might or might not have water available but probably can't do anything about it if you don't, and you'll almost always have to go through special preparations to have fire available (a 10' cube is an awfully big bonfire).

MaxWilson
2019-10-09, 08:43 PM
What's a bit odd is that some elementals, even from the same tier, are tougher to summon than others. In most adventuring environments, you're almost always going to have earth and air available, you might or might not have water available but probably can't do anything about it if you don't, and you'll almost always have to go through special preparations to have fire available (a 10' cube is an awfully big bonfire).

IMO the basic elementals are about even. I used to think fire and water were the weakest, but then I figured out how to use them better.

Chronos
2019-10-10, 06:19 AM
Right, so if they're about even, they should be equally difficult to summon.

Zuras
2019-10-10, 08:13 AM

IMO the basic elementals are about even. I used to think fire and water were the weakest, but then I figured out how to use them better.

The key tactical point about elementals is that they are CR 5 because of how much damage they can absorb, not how much they can dish out. For example, a Hill Giant does more damage, but goes down much faster.

You get the most out of them by letting them tank massive amounts of non-magical weapon damage and using their large size to prevent enemies from closing to melee with you.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-10-10, 08:23 AM

Throw 4 oil and lit it up with a cantrip/torch.

MaxWilson
2019-10-10, 08:45 AM
Right, so if they're about even, they should be equally difficult to summon.

Oh sorry, somehow I totally misread your point. Thought you meant tougher in a fight, not tougher to summon. I see it now.