PDA

View Full Version : Help with this Ghost-faced Killer/Avenging Executioner NPC please?

danielxcutter
2019-10-08, 09:51 AM
There are... still a lot of things left to fill in(haven't even decided on their gender, let alone their name or some build decisions), but I think I have the general idea.

Build: Ninja 5/Fighter 4/Avenging Executioner 5/Ghost-faced Killer 10(yes, epic character, I know)

Stats(after items, HD bonuses, and +5 inherent item to Strength and Wisdom): 26/20/20/18/27/21

Feats: Able Learner, Darkstalker, Power Attack, Improved Initiative, Weapon Focus(greatsword), Improved Critical(greatsword), Melee Weapon Mastery(slashing), Reckless Offense, Martial Stalker, Imperious Command, (3 left)

Bonus Vile feats(from serving an Elder Evil; long story): Evil's Blessing, Chosen of Evil, Vile Martial Strike(greatsword), Insane Defiance, Harvester of Souls

Items(using PC WBL and lots left undecided yet): greatsword(bonus and enhancements undecided yet), Belt of Magnificence +6, Bracers of Armor +8, Ring of Protection from Negative Energy, Boots of Speed, Vest(or Cloak; depends on remaining slots and other stuff) of Resistance +5, Amulet of Natural Armor, Portable Hole

Yeah, lots left to fill in, especially in the items department, but I want to consider both power and aesthetics(Cowl of Warding and Ghost Shroud both have hoods, even if they aren't mutually exclusive at all).

...so, any help guys? Remember, optimization is important, and thematics are also important, but thinking "how would this NPC fight normally, both against PCs and other enemies" is important - slaughtering a bunch of guards is going to work quite differently from a decently optimized party, and I'm not just talking about things like scry-and-die tactics.

EndlessKng
2019-10-09, 05:46 AM
Small suggestion - you already are going for a bit of an intimidator with Imperious Command, and don't wear armor. Grab the Hit and Run fighter ACF from Drow of the Underdark and Zhentarim fighter substitution level at third (the latter replaces a dead level with Skill Focus intimidate, so it's another feat for free - small bonus compared to ZhenFight 5 and 9 but every bit helps).

danielxcutter
2019-10-09, 08:44 AM
Small suggestion - you already are going for a bit of an intimidator with Imperious Command, and don't wear armor. Grab the Hit and Run fighter ACF from Drow of the Underdark and Zhentarim fighter substitution level at third (the latter replaces a dead level with Skill Focus intimidate, so it's another feat for free - small bonus compared to ZhenFight 5 and 9 but every bit helps).

Hit and Run is a bit iffy for me, since RAI is that it's a Drow ACF... but yeah the Zhentharim Fighter sub levels could work. I'll have to look it up, but I've heard good things about it.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-10-09, 09:30 AM
First of all, check out MIC p234, you can put bonuses like enhancements to stats, bracers of armor bonus, resistance to saves, etc. on other items for the same price as a standalone item of the same bonus. Bracers of Armor +8 cost 64k, or for the same price you can add that +8 armor bonus to Armbands of Might (MIC). A Cloak/Vest of Resistance +5 is 25k, or for the same price you can add a +5 resistance bonus to saves onto a Shadow Cloak (DotU). You can add multiple effects to the same item, so an enhancement to natural armor, an enhancement to Con, and an enhancement to Wis can all be added to a Necklace of Adaptation.

Give him clothing that's enchanted as though it's magic armor, since you can cast Magic Vestment on clothing to accomplish something similar. That would occupy his body/armor/robe item slot. Make it only +1 since that's the minimum to add special properties and it won't stack with the bracers of armor, add Fearsome (DotU, it's a more recent version than the one in MIC), along with Soulfire (BoED, constant Death Ward effect). He should have a Gemstone of Heavy Fortification (Draconomicon), which he'd had someone use Limited Wish to embed into him. Be sure to put Sudden Stunning (DMG2) on his weapon.

For his feats, be sure to include Leap Attack, and you need Weapon Specialization to qualify for Melee Weapon Mastery. Give him the Never Outnumbered skill trick as well. Regarding Zhentarim Fighter, the 9th level is when it gets really good, but you don't have enough Fighter levels in the build for that. The Fearsome armor property helps by making intimidate checks a move action instead of a standard action in combat, so he can make an attack and demoralize an opponent in the same turn.

Blackhawk748
2019-10-09, 09:38 AM
Hit and Run is a bit iffy for me, since RAI is that it's a Drow ACF... but yeah the Zhentharim Fighter sub levels could work. I'll have to look it up, but I've heard good things about it.

It doesn't require you to be Drow and nothing about it is inherently Drow. Honestly I see Goblinoids doing the same thing as it's just Guriella Tactics and those are universal.

Plus it rather helps the build out