PDA

View Full Version : Making a Discworld Witch

Talsin
2019-10-08, 11:50 AM
So, I've been reading through Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels, and I have come to very much like the idea of building a Witch using the 5e system.
I'm thinking either Lore Bard, Glamour Bard, or Wild Sorcerer (or both really) but I'm wondering if anyone here has done something similar or has any advice on building the archetype concept onto the chassis.

I had also though Divination, Enchantment, or Illusion Wizard, but then I remembered that Wizards are only men (exceptions may vary) and are really more interested in finding out what's for dinner.

For those of you who haven't read any of the books, I highly suggest them for any reader of fantasy.

MrStabby
2019-10-08, 12:04 PM
Lore bard is probably best. Expertise in persuasion/intimidation fits. Some druid abilities also line up although magical secrets can cover those.

Whispers bard at a bit of a stretch.

Millstone85
2019-10-08, 12:20 PM
Thematically, I am of the opinion that Discworld witches are druids.

My reasons:

They insist that they are neither she-wizards nor priestresses.
Their magic is connected to the land, and the idea that an urban witch could exist is initially met with incredulity.
Though it usually involves possession instead of transformation, one of their traditions is to experience the life of an animal.
They see themselves as the first line of defense against otherworldly invasions, notably those of malevolent fey.

Talsin
2019-10-08, 12:27 PM

My reasons:

Their magic is connected to the land, and the idea that an urban witch could exist is initially met with incredulity.
Though it usually involves possession instead of transformation, one of their traditions is to experience the life of an animal.
They see themselves as the first line of defense against otherworldly invasions, notably those of malevolent fey.

I do like the idea of a witch as a druid too... at least until WotC makes a Witch Class and mucks it all up for Discworld hopefuls :p
It also does allow some wiggle room for WIS/CHA differences in that sometimes a Witch can be told "no" by an individual.
However the type of magic Druids get doesn't quite align (other than shapeshifting) with what I am imagining Witches using... Hmm

MrStabby
2019-10-08, 12:27 PM

My reasons:

Although d&d druids are very likely to end up summoning fey...

Millstone85
2019-10-08, 12:37 PM
Although d&d druids are very likely to end up summoning fey...While non-evil fey are rare on the Disc, there is the notable example of the witch Tiffany Aching being friend with a clan of chaotic-goodish quicklings.

Talsin
2019-10-08, 12:43 PM
...chaotic-goodish...

I think we need some newer Alignment Charts to include things like this. "Goodish" "Evil-adjacent" "Usually Lawful" "Pseudo-Chaotic" need their place!

Hairfish
2019-10-08, 01:03 PM
It's not really the same as a tabletop game, but if you're into MUDs (all-text MMOs), there's a well-developed Discworld MUD and witch is a class there.

In 5E, druid or warlock is probably the closest thing to a witch.

Anymage
2019-10-08, 01:13 PM
Disc witches tend to use very little magic (outside of broomsticks and a general awareness of supernatural goings on), instead favoring extremely good skills and the rare ritual spell. Bards are the skilled caster in this game, so they should be the first place you look.

Note also that the disc, much like the stickverse, has this thing where story logic is a force all its own. Your dm's setting may or may not agree with that conceit.

Millstone85
2019-10-08, 01:15 PM
I think we need some newer Alignment Charts to include things like this. "Goodish" "Evil-adjacent" "Usually Lawful" "Pseudo-Chaotic" need their place!The Outer Planes already include some of those, though they call them LG/NG, CN/CE, etc.

I didn't think about that when I called them chaotic-goodish but, IIRC, the Nac Mac Feegle believe they are dead, or reincarnated, and that they are being rewarded with a world full of butts to kick. In D&D terms, they think they are in Ysgard, which happens to be the CG/CN plane. :smallsmile:

Talsin
2019-10-08, 01:44 PM
It's not really the same as a tabletop game, but if you're into MUDs (all-text MMOs), there's a well-developed Discworld MUD and witch is a class there.

In 5E, druid or warlock is probably the closest thing to a witch.

MUDs are something I certainly like the concept and socio-historical importance of, but fail to keep my long-term attendance in... Which every MMO has also failed. Still, I like the idea of them. I feel like a Discworld MUD would be difficult to execute given all the -seemingly- off-the-cuff jokes, actions, and abilities the characters seem to have. Plus, gaining a magic sword might be akin to become an NPC...

Seclora
2019-10-08, 05:02 PM
I would agree that Druid is probably the closest thing to am average Discworld Witch. That being said, no Discworld character is average, save Nobby Nobs, the average of all other Discworld characters in race, morality, and likelihood of success.

What do you want your witch to be like, to have been through, and to be capable of?
Granny Weatherwax is a High Int Eloquence Bard and believes in communicating people's stupidity with stern looks and good insight checks. Tiffany Aching is a high Charisma Rogue, solving very few of her problems with magic and most of them with effective use of her surroundings and/or Wee Free Men.

Being a Witch is not about character class, it's about character roleplay. Take no Nonsense, accept no excuses, and get everyone home by supper because the real work is what you do with your downtime.
Really, Witch is your background, not your class. You have proficiency in Insight and Survival, start with 10 gold, common clothing, Artisan's tools of your choice(and proficiency thereof), with the feature of being able to call in a favor to obtain any one item with a value less than 25 gold given a day's notice and access to other humanoids, usable once per week.

Talsin
2019-10-08, 05:09 PM
I would agree that Druid is probably the closest thing to am average Discworld Witch. That being said, no Discworld character is average, save Nobby Nobs, the average of all other Discworld characters in race, morality, and likelihood of success.

What do you want your witch to be like, to have been through, and to be capable of?
Granny Weatherwax is a High Int Eloquence Bard and believes in communicating people's stupidity with stern looks and good insight checks. Tiffany Aching is a high Charisma Rogue, solving very few of her problems with magic and most of them with effective use of her surroundings and/or Wee Free Men.

Being a Witch is not about character class, it's about character roleplay. Take no Nonsense, accept no excuses, and get everyone home by supper because the real work is what you do with your downtime.
Really, Witch is your background, not your class. You have proficiency in Insight and Survival, start with 10 gold, common clothing, Artisan's tools of your choice(and proficiency thereof), with the feature of being able to call in a favor to obtain any one item with a value less than 25 gold given a day's notice and access to other humanoids, usable once per week.

I was hoping to have the character perform the abilities presented by Witches in Discworld, such as having such a level of confidence/mythos that people don't want to disobey you/get in your way. Background of Witch doesn't exactly sound like what I'm going for, although it couldn't hurt! Based off of this, I'm really considering Bard more strongly. Glamour for telling people, or Lore for disrupting them... Tough Choices.

Nhorianscum
2019-10-08, 06:28 PM
So, I've been reading through Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels, and I have come to very much like the idea of building a Witch using the 5e system.
I'm thinking either Lore Bard, Glamour Bard, or Wild Sorcerer (or both really) but I'm wondering if anyone here has done something similar or has any advice on building the archetype concept onto the chassis.

I had also though Divination, Enchantment, or Illusion Wizard, but then I remembered that Wizards are only men (exceptions may vary) and are really more interested in finding out what's for dinner.

For those of you who haven't read any of the books, I highly suggest them for any reader of fantasy.

Land druid 100% for Weatherwax style.

Snag the Azorious list if you want counterspell.

Nannystyle is clearly a Bard with her amazing singing voice and humorous cookbook. Plus she did seduce the disks number 2 lover...

Magrat is clearly... a barbarian with dumped mental stats.

Agnes has me stumped. Do we ever see her do anything outside the ccarpet jugulum? Carpe jugulum? She's in Masqureade but that book is just "The Weatherwax show".

Chronos
2019-10-08, 07:29 PM
I don't think all of the witches are the same class. It seems to me that Granny Weatherwax is Wis-based, Nanny Ogg is Cha-based, and Magrat and Tiffany are both Int-based.

Grek
2019-10-08, 07:55 PM
Yeah, I'd argue that Witch is a background that you can apply to any class in order to make it witchy.

Skill Proficiencies: Insight, Intimidation
Tool Proficiencies: Herbalism Kit, one type of artisan's tools (your choice).
Equipment: An herbalist's kit, common clothing, a broom, a pointy hat and a pouch containing 5gp.
Feature: Rustic Hospitality (for good witches) or Bad Reputation (for wicked witches).

Particle_Man
2019-10-08, 10:10 PM
What about a Druid where you swap out shape shifting for borrowing (move your mind into an animal temporarily)?

Helliquin
2019-10-08, 10:22 PM
https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJb76kNPFZ

I like this.

Lunali
2019-10-08, 10:25 PM
I think I would make it a divine 1/3 caster, probably with a rogue base and some custom spells. The majority of what they do is skill based rather than actually magical and the few magical things could be low level spell effects, they just don't currently exist. On the rare occasion that they actually do anything martial, a single strike with a hatpin or frying pan is enough to end the fight.

rbstr
2019-10-08, 11:03 PM
Honestly, fey, celestial or GOO warlock has a lot of what you might be looking for. Reflavor the pact aspect to fit.
Features and Invocations can be a bit more subtly magic and it's not about dump a ton of spell slots on encounters.

Bundin
2019-10-09, 07:34 AM
https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJb76kNPFZ

I like this.

This is quite excellent indeed. Too bad I won't ever get a discworld group together, because I really want to play using this now that I know it exists.

Helliquin
2019-10-09, 09:30 AM
This is quite excellent indeed. Too bad I won't ever get a discworld group together, because I really want to play using this now that I know it exists.

My discworld campaign kicks off this thursday.... they don’t know what’s coming!

Group consists of:
Golem barbarian
Vampire warlock
Vampire rogue
Igor witch (Druid)
Jackalope warlock (re-skinned to be herme the hunted, patron is the elf king who nanny Ogg went to visit)