PDA

View Full Version : Siberian cats

Morty
2007-10-16, 01:51 PM
Alright, here's the thing: my little sister really wants to have a cat. My mother and big brother would like to have one as well. Unfortunaelty, both my brother and sister are allergic to cats. My father and I couldn't care less about having a pet, but we're in minority. But recently we've heard that siberian cats (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_cat) are hypoallergenic, and therefore can be kept by allergic people. But that's nothing confirmed and certain, so I ask: does anyone here have any experience with those cats? Are those rumors true?

thubby
2007-10-16, 02:03 PM
my cousin has one of those, and i cant get near the thing (i'm allergic). something good to know is that cat allergies are triggered by oils on its skin, not the fur.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-10-16, 02:07 PM
Never heard of that myself, though they are breeding certain cats now to be completely safe for those with allergies.

Exeson
2007-10-16, 02:07 PM
I do not know if this is true but apparently people do not react to short haired cats as much as long haired cats. And also I used to be allergic to cats but then we got one and after a while I stopped reacting. The same happened with my mother. She now sleeps on my pillow every night. :smallbiggrin:

sktarq
2007-10-16, 02:13 PM
People are allergic to various things when they are allergic to "cats". Some are allergic to cat mites, some to skin oils, some to cat hair flakes, but most are allergic to cat dander. If memory serves siberians don't make people allergic to one or the other of the above react but do to others.

Cruxador
2007-10-16, 04:30 PM
sktarq is correct. but you can totally get over an allergy with enough exposure, although depending on how bad the allergy is, you're family may not want to go through that.

@Exeson: you mother sleeps on your pillow? O.o

Exeson
2007-10-16, 04:33 PM
@Exeson: you mother sleeps on your pillow? O.o

Woops! I didn't mean that! I meant my cat now sleeps on my pillow(often to my discomfort) Basically both me an my mother are proof that you can get over allergies.

Don Julio Anejo
2007-10-16, 04:56 PM
My mom was really allergic to cats before we got one (actually it got us, it was our neighbour's cat that randomly decided to live with us instead). Turns out it's okay as long as you don't poke your nose into the cat's fur and the cat doesn't shed too much hair on stuff like your pillows.

Mogster
2007-10-16, 05:15 PM
If you're really desperate you could get a hypoallergenic cat from Allerca (http://www.allerca.com/) or the like. It'll only set you back 6 grand. :smalleek:

Syka
2007-10-16, 06:43 PM
I used to be highly allergic, but now I'm only minorly allergic. As in, have to basically rub my face on it, unless the cat has been playing in a dusty area and the cat decides it wants to love me.

My sister's however have gotten much worse.

And honestly, it depends on that cat. I've noticed I'm much more sensitive to some than others. Just before getting the cat, see how everyone reacts.

Cheers,
Syka

starwoof
2007-10-16, 11:01 PM
I've got a Siberian cat, his name is Riley, and he is the best cat ever. And he is indeed hypoallergenic! Despite having really long fur nobody's allergies ever act up around him, and he's actually cleared my nose in the past.

Don Julio Anejo
2007-10-16, 11:07 PM
Which reminds me... should I get a cat on rez (dorms)? It's not allowed (not like I care and not like it's going to need daily walks, it's a frickin' cat, it'll sleep 90% of the time anyway), I don't let people party in my room (unless it's predrinking with a few friends I know won't do stupid stuff) because I have a lot of expensive camera gear that's easy to steal. The only thing I'm worried about is how my cat back home will react to the new cat (my cat is very asocial and shushes (the cat equivalent of growling) most other cats she meets...

Syka
2007-10-16, 11:51 PM
For the love of god, don't get a cat in a dorm. I was going to move in with a friend this term in the dorm style house we live in, but her former roommates had an illicit cat. Sweet cat and all but...it's hard to clean and, as the leasing agency didn't know about the cat, they wouldn't take extra measures to get it clean and cleaning it on our own would have been expensive. Plus, it's hard to get cat stuff out. So if who ever is in your room after you is allergic to cats, they're screwed.

Plus it's not really nice to keep a cat that cooped up. And imagine what'll happen if housing finds it. If you're kicked out, where will you go? Just think it through first.

(And the cat in the above scenario had been a stray, so I don't really blame them for taking it in, it just kinda ruined it for me since I'm slightly allergic, and my family is very- meaning they wouldn't have been able to stay with me even after the cat was gone.)

phoenixineohp
2007-10-16, 11:59 PM
I don't know about Siberian cats, but I have heard of at least one species supposedly being hypo allergenic...

Or you could get reptiles! Nothing cuddles like a constrictor! And no allergies! :smallbiggrin:

Soups
2007-10-17, 12:11 AM
I don't know about Siberian cats, but I have heard of at least one species supposedly being hypo allergenic...

Or you could get reptiles! Nothing cuddles like a constrictor! And no allergies! :smallbiggrin:

If he is living in the dorms, he most likely cant have anything that can live outside of an aquarium. Pets are horrible in dorms, theyusually die quick. Get a plant. Plants rock. and are pretty.

KBF
2007-10-17, 12:27 AM
If he is living in the dorms, he most likely cant have anything that can live outside of an aquarium. Pets are horrible in dorms, theyusually die quick. Get a plant. Plants rock. and are pretty.

I think she's talking about the topic-starter.

cattoy
2007-10-17, 12:56 AM
I used to be allergic to cats when I was young, but I loved petting the neighbor's cats and eventually I got over it. (although I suffered a lot of allergic reactions for my troubles)

A friend of mine married a cat lover. He's still allergic to cats but when her old cat Fiat passed on, they researched the siberian breed. They went to the breeder and he pet their cat.

no reaction.

he put his hands to his eyes after petting the cat.

no reaction.

he rubbed his face on the cat.

no reaction.

So they got a pair of kittens from the next litter and they've had them for about a year and a half.

No allergic reaction.

phoenixineohp
2007-10-17, 01:02 AM
I was directing that to the thread starter.

In rez I wasn't allowed anything but "Non-dangerous fish." :smallfurious: Don't get me started on that one. Like the possible damage done by a corn snake in a tank or 30 gallons of water in a tank. :smallmad:

Don Julio Anejo
2007-10-17, 01:26 AM
I think it's not the damage they care about. When you say tank (btw, for us we can't have anything that's not human as a pet), most people would assume fish. I doubt that many people would get reptiles, and if someone does get a big snake, well chances are they're going to kick the person out and change the rules.

If you allow cats or dogs - okay. People get cute fuzzy puppies and kittens. Then they grow into Rotweilers and Pitbulls... I for one wouldn't want to know an attack dog is randomly running around the halls because its' owner is drunk.

As for the cat - I really don't care that much if I get kicked out. I'm on a off-city campus of our StateU, and I'm pretty much here for two reasons. One, to get away from home for a year and party (which isn't working out, rez parties aren't very much fun, it's pointless drinking/getting high). Two, I got a scholarship which lets me save something like 75% of my tuition fees. But the thing is, it's in a fairly small town, and I'm really really bored here, especially away from my friends. So worst case scenario, I transfer to main campus and live at home (which I'm doing for next year anyway, two months in and I'm already not liking it very much here).

Serpentine
2007-10-17, 04:20 AM
The caretaker of the residential village where I used to live told me about a couple of people in a flat once who both slept in one room, while the other was given over to a nice little herpetarium :smallbiggrin: That would've been so cool. And that guy's great, he never told on anyone for that sort of thing.

I've never heard of a Siberian cat, but I know there's several varieties that are supposed to be not too bad. You could always go for sphinx :smallyuk:

Syka
2007-10-17, 09:44 AM
At my school you are allowed the following: fish, guinea pigs, gerbils, dwarf rabbits, lizards (no iguanas) that are maximum length of 6 inches using the snout to vent method, salamanders (certified non-poisonous), geckos, chinchillas and non-predatory domesticated birds not to exceed one-half pound.

With approval from your roommate. Unfortunately, I live in an offcampus building and we're only allowed fish. :( Thankfully, there is an unspoken rule that as long as your roommates don't care, you can pretty much have anything in a tank. Like, the night manager here actually has a hedgehog (she's adorable).

But...I'd generally advise against a cat in a dorm situation if only for the well being of the cat.

Cheers,
Syka

EDIT: And the reason that most other pets aren't allowed on campus isn't just danger. It has to do with the space provided. If you can't give the animal enough room to live happy, then it shouldn't be on campus- which means most dogs, cats, and other medium sized to large mammals. Snakes and spiders aren't allowed on campus cause of the fright scenario. :(

EvilJames
2007-10-17, 10:18 AM
you could get a sphinx cat they are hairless so the don't set off allergies but they are ugly as hell (in my opinion)

Morty
2007-10-17, 10:40 AM
you could get a sphinx cat they are hairless so the don't set off allergies but they are ugly as hell (in my opinion)

Yes, they are. And my sister, despite claiming that all animals except insects and spiers are cute, refues to even look at them.
Thanks for the responses, it looks like this theory has at least some basis in truth. And to clarify(I should've done this earlier): my sister and brother are both allergic to cat's hair.
EDIT: Clarification was false, fixed now.

blackfox
2007-10-17, 06:08 PM
From what I've heard, short haired, light colored, spayed female cats are more often hypoallergenic and/or don't spark as bad a reaction as non- shorthaired, light colored spayed female cats.

Although I would test it out first by touching the cat, rubbing your face on it, etc. :smallyuk:

ForzaFiori
2007-10-17, 06:24 PM
1st off, that is a large cat.

I have a maine ****, and its growth was stunted and it is STILL as large as my other cats (about 10-11 pounds). 15-20 is BIG.

pretty cool cat though, i would try being around one at a store or something first to make sure that no allergies will be set off though.