PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [PF1e] Eldritch Archer Seeker Arrow?

Alphasez
2019-10-08, 01:59 PM
Is there any way for an Eldtrich Archer to mimic the Arcane Archer's Seeker Arrow?

On the fence between the classes because of this single ability.

Kurald Galain
2019-10-08, 02:09 PM
Spell combat, cast True Strike, then fire.

Con: doesn't go around corners. Pro: +20 is much better than negating cover, it's part of a full attack, can get it about ten levels earlier and use it way more often per day.

Alphasez
2019-10-08, 03:18 PM
True.

The +20 does take care of most everything else that could be a hindrance. And the earlier access is worth quite a bit. The corner thing is handy, but situational.

Besides the BAB, is there any reason I might opt for AA as opposed to EA?

Spell list maybe?

Kraynic
2019-10-08, 03:28 PM
Imbue arrow is neat if you want to be able to cast AoE spells with the range of your bow. That may or may not appeal depending on what you want your character to do, but that is something that crosses my mind about AA even though I haven't tried playing one yet.

Kurald Galain
2019-10-08, 03:45 PM
Besides the BAB, is there any reason I might opt for AA as opposed to EA?
Well, EldritchA is effectively full-BAB because of its arcane pool enchantment ability. ArcaneA is just not going to have a better attack bonus.

At any level below eighteen, the EldritchA is going to have better spells. Like at level 10, the EA has fourth-level spells and the AA has second-level.

Then, EldritchA gets a big action economy advantage, armored casting, a bunch of arcana and bonus feats, and larger selection of in-class weapon enchantments (and five levels earlier, too).

...it's looking pretty bad for the prestige class, really.

Imbue arrow is neat if you want to be able to cast AoE spells with the range of your bow.
Yes, but practically speaking, what spell would you use that with, considering spells like Minor Image, Fireball, and Sleetstorm already out-range a bow?

Kraynic
2019-10-08, 04:21 PM
Like I said, it depends on what you are wanting to do. You are aiming at a square, so you are basically shooting against AC 5. How many range increments out there can your character hit AC 5 reliably? You can do low level spells like obscuring mist or burning hands at however far out you can hit that AC. Actually, any spell that isn't long range will easily gain range through imbue arrow. How about casting slow or haste at something other than close range? You can do that with imbue arrow. Pits, tentacles, antimagic field, walls...

I don't know. I think that being able to use 100 or 110ft range increments and only needing to hit AC 5 is going to seriously increase the ability to use some spells. If you are always in a dungeon or in fairly close range conflicts, obviously that will be of no use whatsoever. Like anything else, the type of game you are playing and what you want to do will greatly affect what you want to pick up as an ability.

Edit: What would you lose taking a few levels (up to 4) of Arcane Archer that would hinder the character? I mean, besides one level of spell casting progression. Maybe there is a certain progression of magus abilities where it would be easy to hold off on Magus class ability progression in exchange for what you get with AA.

Kurald Galain
2019-10-08, 04:50 PM
I don't know. I think that being able to use 100 or 110ft range increments and only needing to hit AC 5 is going to seriously increase the ability to use some spells.
Yes, the issue is that the medium-range Fog Cloud spell is available at level three, whereas an AA can imbue his obscuring mist at level nine at the earliest. Likewise, Fireball becomes available several levels before imbue-arrow burning hands. And then there's Extend Spell...

Edit: What would you lose taking a few levels (up to 4) of Arcane Archer that would hinder the character?
Hm, there's a thought. I suppose the best build to capitalize on the Arcane Archer is EA 8 / AA 2 / EA 10. You can use imbued arrows in spell combat, at the cost of delaying all your magus features.

Kraynic
2019-10-08, 05:45 PM
Yes, the issue is that the medium-range Fog Cloud spell is available at level three,

Yes, but again, you should easily be able to outrange medium range spells with your archery against an AC 5 target square. And that is with any level of spell. Using your example progression, as a level 9 caster would have a max range of 190 with Fog Cloud. A composite longbow would be able to hit a target 440 away for -6 to the attack. Without any dex bonus, buffs, or magic weapons, you would only miss that on a 1 due to having weapon focus and the enhance arrows ability. Which means once you should be able to reliably hit another 330-440ft past that with normalish gear by that level. Any area spell would then have a potential reliable range of around 880ft by that time. Why use Fog Cloud, when you can use an level 1 spell at any range you can hit with your bow? Unless you use more level 1 spells than level 2 spells at that level for some reason.

My bringing up the lower level spells isn't so much that they are what I am advocating for constant offensive use, but they suddenly have the range to be good distractions and confusion causing tools that don't use your more important higher level spell slots. Basically, AA can make your lower level area spells useful again just by giving them a ridiculous range. And it gives any applicable higher level spells that have any range less than "long" a nice boost.

Ramza00
2019-10-08, 06:44 PM
If you can import 3.5 spells

Guided Shot is much but not all the benefits of Living Arrow. As a 1st level Swift Action spell this is a solid buff you can use constantly.

Living Arrow is a 5th level Psychic Warrior Psionic Power. It follows if your DM is okay with it to import it as a 5th level magus spell.