PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next School of Runekeeping [PEACH, if ye so dare]

Icecaster
2019-10-08, 04:18 PM
Hi everyone! It's been a little bit.

I'm here to post a new subclass I made: the School of Runekeeping, everybody's new favorite Arcane Tradition. I'd like to hear your critiques and advice about the subclass, which I thought was a cool thematic idea. Specifically, I'm hoping the Sigil and Runekeeper features aren't too convoluted. Anyways, there are two links below for Google docs and pdf as well as an in-post version, so I'd love for you to leave any comments you have! Thanks in advance for taking any time to check this out! ;D

Google docs (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cWjtrN4I8L8vH3TuPPbqG6i8U2Ie1ve8ibH8Hbos3L0/edit?usp=sharing)

PDF (https://drive.google.com/file/d/176cjd0ZGScg-37u4ToWSnnob6uXSz7F7/view?usp=sharing)

School of Runekeeping
Members of the school of runekeeping, called runekeepers, deal with an ancient form of magic from back before the mortal races learned to interact with the Weave itself. These ancient mortals used runes, letters and characters imbued with an inherent magical power, that, when replicated perfectly, create magic. It is a meticulous art only undertaken by serious scholars or those with a knack for it, but although runes are an old form of magic, they should never be underestimated as a base, primal form of magic.

Runic Scribe
At 2nd level when you choose this arcane tradition, you gain the ability to read and understand all writing, and you learn two additional languages of your choice. Additionally, you learn to write in runes. When you write in runes, you can choose any number of creatures or specifications for creatures, and these creatures alone can read the message you’ve written. For them, the message appears in whatever their native language is.

Sigils
Also beginning at 2nd level, you learn two sigils of your choice from the Sigil list at the end of the subclass description. As an action, you can magically inscribe a sigil onto the ground in your space. While within 30 feet of the sigil, you gain its benefits. The sigil lasts for 1 minute or until you inscribe another sigil. You learn two more sigils from the list at 6th level, and again at 10th and 14th levels.

Runekeeper
At 6th level, you add glyph of warding to your spellbook if it is not already there. If it is, add any other wizard spell of 3rd-level or lower to your spellbook. You can cast glyph of warding onto an object once without having to expend a spell slot or material components. You can only cast glyph of warding in this way once, regaining its use upon completing a long rest. When you cast glyph of warding in this way, its duration is reduced to 24 hours before its magic fades.

Runic Combination
By 10th level, you have studied the nuances of runes so deeply that you have discovered the ability to overlap them without any loss of magical power. When you use your action to inscribe a sigil, you can choose up to two sigils, gaining the benefits of both.

Runic Savant
Starting at 14th level, when you would use your action to inscribe any number of sigils, you can expend a spell slot of 1st-level or higher and instead do so as a bonus action.

Sigils
The following sigils are presented in alphabetical order.
Circle. Whenever you cast a spell of 1st-level or higher, all creatures within 5 feet of you take half your wizard level + your Intelligence modifier in force damage.
Crescent. You gain a +2 bonus to spell attack rolls.
Cross. Your spells cannot be countered or dispelled while you maintain this sigil.
Diamond. When you cast a spell of 1st-level or higher, you gain a +2 bonus to AC until the beginning of your next turn.
Ring. Your movement speed increases by 15 feet. This lasts until the end of your turn if you leave the sigil’s area.
Square. You gain a +1 bonus to your spell save DC.
Star. When you cast a spell of 1st-level or higher, you can use your reaction to teleport to any unoccupied space you can see within 30 feet of you.
Triangle. When you cast a spell that deals a damage type on the following list, you can change it to any other damage type: acid, cold, fire, lightning, poison.

Old Harry MTX
2019-10-09, 12:42 AM
Hi Icecaster! Can you write it also inside a post, so it would be more usable and easily commentable?

Thanks a lot!

BerzerkerUnit
2019-10-09, 07:00 AM
Conceptually it's got a good theme and basic framework. Mechanically, it's on methamphetamines.

I think you could keep most of what you have with some more significant cost or by a significant reduction in how often you can employ the level 2 feature. I also think you could offset that cost by granting an extra feature, like certain spells automatically.

so level two add something like

Runic Scholar- after choosing this archetype at 2nd level you become proficient in the Giant or Dwarven language. Additionally, you automatically add the spells Glyph of Warding, Guards and Wards, and Symbol to your spellbook when you gain a spell slot with which they can be cast.

As for the main Sigil feature there are some options for bringing the power level in line with other options. Here are some ideas.

Action limit: Creating the rune requires an action to draw it on the ground (or transfer the spectral one you've created to a surface) and you have to be standing on it to gain its benefit. I think this one leaves the effects as is, it can still be used every battle but there's a cost for the significant boost that the effects grant.

Application limit: only allow the rune to be used a certain number of times per day, Like Int mod or only when Up casting the spell. The latter hearkens back to 3.5 metamagic and would require shuffling it up to 6th level and an alternate feature at 2.

The level 6 ability could work if you made it:
Once per day you can cast Glyph of Warding without using a spell slot. It requires no material components when you cast it in this way. The duration of the spell becomes 24 hours.

The 10 and 14 alter that Sigil feature at 2 so can stay the way they are...

Good luck!

Icecaster
2019-10-09, 08:21 PM
Hi Icecaster! Can you write it also inside a post, so it would be more usable and easily commentable?

Thanks a lot!

Updated version is added, and you're very welcome!

Conceptually it's got a good theme and basic framework. Mechanically, it's on methamphetamines.

Fair enough, thanks for the honesty! I agree, and I modified things. I took your advice on the 6th level feature, but most notably, I modified the Sigils feature to something I believe is much better. It's an action to use, has a range you have to stay inside, lost the 14th level improvements, and you have to learn them all over time, like the battlemaster's maneuvers. 10th level feature works pretty much the same, letting you do two at once, and at 14th level I changed it so you can use a spell slot to do a sigil as a bonus action so there's a capstone-level improvement but still has a cost if you don't make a sigil before combat begins.

I hope this works better, and thank you again for the ideas and help!:smallcool:

sandmote
2019-10-09, 09:54 PM
The new version looks a lot better. My main concern is letting the wizard switch their fireball's damage type every turn. I suggest the following alternative, to slightly limit a runic wizards' ability to ignore resistances. You can still freely fireball devils without issue, but varied groups of enemies pose slightly more of a threat (given you'd have to choose which enemy's resistance to bypass).

Triangle. Choose one of the following damage types: acid, cold, fire, lightning, and poison. Each time you cast a spell that deals acid, cold, fire, lightning, or poison damage, you can have the spell deal damage of the chosen type instead.

Old Harry MTX
2019-10-10, 12:45 AM
Ok, I like the concept, and class with the last changes seems to be quite good. Anyway, I love the Action Limitation suggested by BerzerkerUnit, I would consider it.

Action limit: Creating the rune requires an action to draw it on the ground (or transfer the spectral one you've created to a surface) and you have to be standing on it to gain its benefit. I think this one leaves the effects as is, it can still be used every battle but there's a cost for the significant boost that the effects grant.

BerzerkerUnit
2019-10-10, 11:58 AM
That looks a lot better. I wonder if you wanted the Sigil to have a 30foot radius or intended there to be a 30ft wide area for you to operate in?

30 ft radius means you can drop it and probably move almost anywhere on a battle map. Not too big a deal. I even thin the notion of bonus action and spell slot is an over charge for the benefit. I might just go with option of Upcasting benefit or Sigil effect. But again, that’s really 3.5 metamagic and if you prefer the mechanic you’ve created, it does the job equally well.