PDA

View Full Version : Help with ASI/feat choice for Barbarian Rogue

Spartan_MD
2019-10-08, 07:56 PM
I want to get the opinion of some of the optimizers. Mountain dwarf Barb1/rogue4(thief) s16 d14 c16 i10 w12 cha8 who use shortsword and shield, halfplate and flings a hand axe (dm allows me to sneak attack when thrown).

Thoughts on what to take ASI or feat? Considering boosting strength or constitution or taking a feat. Sharpshooter or Squat nimbleness (I can still manipulate stats)

Composer99
2019-10-08, 08:15 PM
I want to get the opinion of some of the optimizers. Mountain dwarf Barb1/rogue4(thief) s16 d14 c16 i10 w12 cha8 who use shortsword and shield, halfplate and flings a hand axe (dm allows me to sneak attack when thrown).

Thoughts on what to take ASI or feat? Considering boosting strength or constitution or taking a feat. Sharpshooter or Squat nimbleness (I can still manipulate stats)

A handaxe isn't a ranged weapon, so the -5/+10 benefit of Sharpshooter wouldn't apply when throwing one. ("Before you make an attack with a ranged weapon that you are proficient with...")

Just to clarify... what do you mean by "I can still manipulate stats"? Does that mean you still can adjust your ability scores?

I'm inclined to say just go for the +2 Strength.

If you really want a feat, maybe Shield Master for the bonus action shove, especially if you don't plan on taking any more levels in barbarian. While you're raging you'd have advantage on the shove attempt. I should caution that, while it's not errata, Sage Advice indicates bonus actions that depend on taking other actions require taking the other action first, so if your DM follows Sage Advice your shove is devalued as you can't benefit from it on your own turn.

Also, Sentinel would be good for keeping enemies stuck to you, although only if you have melee allies to cooperate with for sneak attacks.

Spartan_MD
2019-10-08, 08:37 PM
A handaxe isn't a ranged weapon, so the -5/+10 benefit of Sharpshooter wouldn't apply when throwing one. ("Before you make an attack with a ranged weapon that you are proficient with...")

Just to clarify... what do you mean by "I can still manipulate stats"? Does that mean you still can adjust your ability scores?

I'm inclined to say just go for the +2 Strength..

Yes. I can modify my ability scores.

Thanks for the insight on the hand axe.

Str +2 is probably the most optimized.

Lyracian
2019-10-09, 12:59 AM
If you are still building the character did you start Rogue and Multiclass into Barbarian?
That gives you more skills but not Con save proficiency.

While Str boost is likely going to be the best pick here you could set up to take Resistance (Con) next then Shield Master later.

JellyPooga
2019-10-09, 02:41 AM
As a Barb/Rogue, you want to ditch the shortsword for a whip and take Sentinel. The area control/denial it offers, combined with the terrain manipulation offered by Fast Hands, makes you really rather tanky.

I would be inclined to change Mountain Dwarf for Hill Dwarf, as well, if that's an option. Yes, you'll lose a point if Strength bonus, but you aren't gaining anything from M.Dwarfs bonus proficiencies, while H.Dwarf offers sweet sweet HP; a far more valuable boon considering that at Barb 2 you'll be able to use Reckless to boost your to-hit and you already have bonus damage from Rage (not to mention hoe insanely common Str-boosting magic items seem to be...not that you should rely on such, of course).

Keravath
2019-10-09, 10:18 AM
On my mountain dwarf barb/rogue ... I started with 17 14 17 8 10 8 and used the first ASI to bump both Str and Con to 18. However, in my case he is barb 5/rogue 1 (scout - for role play reasons - dwarf barbarian special forces you know :) ) using a rapier+shield and unarmored defense so far since I don't have half-plate and unarmored defense is better for stealth.

GlenSmash!
2019-10-09, 10:45 AM
-5/+10 with sharpshooter should work with a Dart though right? Because it is a ranged weapon?

Anyway I find -5/+10 ot not be very desirable on Rogues anyway as the -5 has a real good chance of stopping you form sneak attack damage which will outpace the+10 anyway.

Spartan_MD
2019-10-09, 03:38 PM
Considering reconfiguring to straight inquisitive rogue taking stout nimbleness to boost my strength to 18

The barbarian only gives me rages a day and I can get Advantage for grappling with Style nameless. I do lose the shield, con saves and a few have point

ddb.ac/characters/11260150/asjUPY