PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Optimizing the biggest undead bosses

ccflier
2019-10-08, 08:57 PM
I am playing 3.5 for the first time, so excuse the lack of super specifics. Not really sure what other classes or skills there are other than what I found here and on other forums.

House rules i know of so far is that we level up based off of DM's discretion, we level as long as we use the skills in that class a lot. Crafting items is going to be 1 skill point per 1000 exp instead. And we get 2x skill points/level. And DM said that length of campaign is long enough for us to get around 90 levels in 2 different classes.

Im a drow cleric, level 3 after adjustment. I am trying to play a necromancer, but I am squishy without any bite. 10 st 14 dex 10 con int 19 wis 16 cha 18. Plan is to take like 5 levels of cleric to get animate dead, and enough levels to command 2 ghouls when i can make them. After that switch to wizard so i can spellstitch them and have them be able to use command undead on some of the undead i make. I think i want corpsecrafter and heightened strength, which would give my skeletons +8 str, zombies +10 str.

A worry I have is how the two other members in my party are completely monsters. They took level penalties for whatever it is they have but there is a rider with a hellhound mount that while he's mounted he has ac of 26, his mount takes most of the damage, and has a breath weapon. The other guy bought a sword that gets a size bigger, and is a science experiment that heals 4d6/round. i got taken from 16 to 4 hp after getting attacked once. I feel too week.

First fight against orcs and the most effective attack I had was a blade of pain and fear, which helped get the boss down to 1hp, than he enraged and a magic item started healing him faster than I could do any damage. Summoning a level 1 undead instantly died, probably shoulda prepped the level 2 summon undead, probably woulda lived longer but seeing how long a 2hd undead with 5 reduction to bludgeoning got taken down by the normal orcs with clubs that did bludgeoning, i'm worried about how big of a cost it would be to have my ghouls skeletons and zombies die after getting spellstitched, and end up sinking a ton of cash and skillpoints into them.

Is there a better class combo with cleric than spellstitching as a wizard? And what feats should I take? Not sure how good item creation could be, so i went for trying to make the corpses tougher.

Helluin
2019-10-08, 11:18 PM
get around 90 levels in 2 different classes

wait, what?

Railak
2019-10-08, 11:28 PM
I'm not even sure what would be left to do with 90 levels in 2 classes. He has to be doing some custom experience requirements, because getting to level 90 would take an absolute astronomical amount of exp, getting to 180.. you would probably be playing this single campaign for the rest of your life.

ccflier
2019-10-08, 11:31 PM
He has to be doing some custom experience requirements

Yea, he's going to be giving us levels I guess either randomly or at certain points depending on how well we use our class

Railak
2019-10-09, 12:30 AM
So, question, are you sure it's 90? Because to be honest, you'll probably run out of stuff to take by like level 30... And being 90 in two classes will put you considerably further in power than basically any god in D&D that I know of. Except for casters it really won't matter what classes you take. And I say that because casters get to make some really cool epic level spells... And at that level you could whip up a spell that could destroy the whole planet without batting an eye. Or you could make your own universe if you wanted.