PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Dodkong and the Crown of Obadai

Zhorn
2019-10-08, 11:57 PM
So part of my Storm King's Thunder campaign I've inserted in the stone giant lich, Grugaran the Dodkong, as a BBEG wanting to put stone giants above all others (and kill anyone who gets in his way).

Stat-wise I've repurposed Acererak from Tomb of Annihilation, but instead of the Talisman of the Sphere or the Staff of the Forgotten One, he'll have the Crown of Obadai <insert spooky sound effect>.

My searching about didn't yield anything for that item, so I just threw together a little something just in case there isn't anything.

Crown of Obadai
Wonderous item, Legendary
(requires attunement by a sorcerer, warlock, or wizard)

You must be attuned to the crown and be wearing it in order to cast its spells and gain its benefits.
Beneficial properties.
• Undead with a challenge rating of 3 or lower will neither threaten nor attack you unless you harm them.
• You are immune to sleep inducing spells and spell-like effects.

Spellcasting. The crown has 20 charges, which are used to fuel the spells within it. You can use your action to cast one of the following spells: animate dead (3 charge) or create undead (6 charges), with each spell being able to be cast at higher levels by expending more charges. For each charge you expend beyond 1, the spell's level increases by 1. No components are required beyond a corpse or skeleton to cast the spell on.
At dawn each day the crown regains 2d6 expended charges. If both numbers rolled on the dice are the same value, your heart stops beating for a number rounds equal to the current charges in the crown. If you cannot survive without a beating heart, you instantly fall unconscious and must make a death saving throw for each of those rounds until the crown's effect ends. Healing effects can restore your heartbeat and return you to consciousness, but the crown will stop your heart at the start of your next turn and will continue to do so until all the determined rounds have elapsed.

Curse. Once this crown is placed on a creatures head it cannot be removed until they are dead, or the creature is targeted by the remove curse spell or similar magic.

looking for either an official Crown of Obadai, or
constructive critique on this version I threw together :smallsmile:

Zhorn
2019-10-09, 10:49 AM
Update to the mechanic. Dropped the d20 roll in favour of a constant 2d6 decider. goes from a 5% chance to a 16.66% of having a brush with death. Just hammering home the notion this is not an item to be wielded carelessly by the living.