PDA

View Full Version : Reckless Sneak Attack?

Phhase
2019-10-09, 04:00 AM
Can you use Reckless Attack to get Sneak Attack on every attack?

Reckless Attack states that you must make a weapon attack using your Strength.

Sneak Attack says you have to use a ranged or Finesse weapon, but NOT that you have to use Dex when attacking, and Finesse weapons let you use Dex OR Strength when attacking.

Anymage
2019-10-09, 04:06 AM
Yes you can. For exactly the reasons you mentioned.

Expected
2019-10-09, 04:30 AM
Yes, you will give yourself advantage for Sneak Attack, but it is only 1x/turn. Also, keep in mind that if you stop multiclassing Barbarian at level 2 for Reckless Attack, you will have 2 rages and +2 rage damage but enemies will have advantage on you for the whole round. This can be dangerous with a d8 Hit Point die and low Constitution. You might find yourself in a situation where you have no rages left and no method in which to get advantage, though there are plenty of other ways to do so.

A nice trick with this build is to get Gauntlets of Ogre Power/Belt of Giant's Strength since your main attacking score will be Strength--this will increase chance to hit and consequently, DPR.

Contrast
2019-10-09, 05:43 AM
Can you use Reckless Attack to get Sneak Attack on every attack?

Punch people in the face with the hilt of a rapier all you like but just a reminder its not sneak attack on every attack - the once per turn limit is still there.

Spiritchaser
2019-10-09, 05:54 AM
Punch people in the face with the hilt of a rapier all you like but just a reminder its not sneak attack on every attack - the once per turn limit is still there.

Also remember that while it is once per turn it is not once per round.

Should you happen upon a way to get an attack besides your attack action (hasten for example) you can use your additional attack to get a sneak attack and then use your action to ready action-attack.

This can very reliably get you two sneak attacks per round. One on your turn...

And the other on someone else’s!

Contrast
2019-10-09, 05:59 AM
snip

Though sadly Reckless Attack is only on your turn.

Mordaedil
2019-10-09, 06:34 AM
I'm pretty sure the only way to get sneak attack twice per turn with reckless attack is by triggering reaction attacks. Not bonus attacks, not hasted attacks, not action surge attacks. Just the first attack that hits in your turn and the reaction.

Spiritchaser
2019-10-09, 07:43 AM
I'm pretty sure the only way to get sneak attack twice per turn with reckless attack is by triggering reaction attacks. Not bonus attacks, not hasted attacks, not action surge attacks. Just the first attack that hits in your turn and the reaction.

This might be just a semantic point but for clarity: you can’t get sneak attack twice per turn by any means. <edit, except, as Vogie points out, for that scout rogue capstone>

The reaction attack on which you take your second sneak attack needs to occur on someone else’s turn.

So a hastened attack would give you the one sneak attack on your turn, while the reaction attack would need to occur on someone else’s turn (as it generally would)

Vogie
2019-10-09, 08:09 AM
You certainly can, and it can be great fun. Mix Barb 5 with Swashbuckler Rogue, and you can hit thrice a turn, all with advantage, and won't even need the protection of rage because Fancy Footwork auto-disengages on hit.

This might be just a semantic point but for clarity: you can’t get sneak attack twice per turn by any means.

Well, no. The Scout Rogue's archetypal capstone specifically allows you to use Sneak attack twice a turn, with a bonus action, provided you target a second creature.

Spiritchaser
2019-10-09, 08:19 AM
Well, no. The Scout Rogue's archetypal capstone specifically allows you to use Sneak attack twice a turn, with a bonus action, provided you target a second creature.

Wow, I didn’t know that, very interesting, We generally use the UA fighter for scouts and I haven’t seen the rogue version actually used.

It wouldn’t be relevant very often, but that’s a pretty big deal for those few campaigns that go all the way.

I’ll revise my post to reflect that.

Thanks

stoutstien
2019-10-09, 09:18 AM
You certainly can, and it can be great fun. Mix Barb 5 with Swashbuckler Rogue, and you can hit thrice a turn, all with advantage, and won't even need the protection of rage because Fancy Footwork auto-disengages on hit.

Slight correction. Swashbucklers don't provoke AOO when they attack, not hit. Huge difference one hard to hit targets.

The flavor text and the actual mechanic text don't quite line up.