PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Battle Master Maneuver DC

Expected
2019-10-09, 04:47 AM
While working on a XBE+Sharpshooter Fighter, I was looking at the Battle Master Maneuvers and saw that you can choose between Str or Dex for the Str save DC and I had an idea. The highest I can realistically get Dex to is 20 (22 with the tome/manual). If I use one of my attunement slots (as a Fighter I only wanted Cloak of Protection and Ring of Protection) to attune to a Str item (Gauntlets of Ogre Power/Belt of Giant's Strength) then I can theoretically improve my maneuver DC. Is this a worthwhile use of my attunement slot?

Composer99
2019-10-09, 06:21 AM
If there's really nothing else you want to attune to and you could reliably get one such item, I don't see why not.

Having the Strength boost also improves your versatility, especially whenever you find yourself in melee, willfully or not, but also out of combat as well. You're better at grapples and shoves, you're better at lifting or pulling really heavy stuff, you could pick up GWM or PAM late to be a switch hitter, that sort of thing.

GlenSmash!
2019-10-09, 10:55 AM
Yup. You don't have to choose strength or Dex when you get the ability. You choose when you make the maneuver (as far as I know).

As for being a good use of Attunement Slot I think so, but I think High strength characters are super fun.

Zhorn
2019-10-09, 11:26 AM
but I think High strength characters are super fun.

huh, learn something new about forum goers every day. Until just then I'd always assumed with a name like that you were expressing a fondness for high charisma characters :smallwink:

nickl_2000
2019-10-09, 11:32 AM
huh, learn something new about forum goers every day. Until just then I'd always assumed with a name like that you were expressing a fondness for high charisma characters :smallwink:

Nah, he's just a heavy drinker

As for the OP. This is a lot more common than you would think. A dex fighter has focused on light stuff all through the game, then all of the sudden they get their hands on a Belt of Giant Strength and change to a completely different weapon and put on heavy armor. Heck, my moon druid got the same and ended up taking MI for a melee cantrip, and a few levels in Ranger. He was a beast in caster form beating people with his Staff of the Woodlands.

GlenSmash!
2019-10-09, 11:34 AM

This made my day. :smallredface: