PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a module.

Raendyn
2019-10-09, 07:43 AM
Hello playground.

It's been a long time since i posted here. and I came back to ask for help.

As the title suggests, I want to find a Module, is a story that a friend of mine run few years back, and I wanna relive it as a DM, but the magazine and the story is lost nowadays.

All the info i can give is, that it starts at early lvls, Lvl 1 iirc to be more specific and the early plot (as far as we reached back there) had to do with an underground and now-abandoned gnome cityof old, which is just under the starting city of the campaign. Apparently the gnomes died to a strange illness / disease /curse that made you become transparent and eventually fade into nothingness. the city is now occupied by big spiders and low lvl abberations, while on some side of it there's still working foundries that some dwarves were smelting smth (maybe some thieves guild took advantage of the facilities but i cant promise thats accurate info) Also traps in the corridors and insanely high DC in order to pick locks on the main artifact doors was also a thing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fun fact: after 2 days looking through old manuscripts and stacks of d&d magazines idid with my buddy at his place, his Gf came to us saying "you grew old and started forgetting things, The City's name was Menzoberranzan right?" :elan:

Thurbane
2019-10-10, 07:36 PM
Menzoberranzan is in the Forgotten Realms.

There is City of the Spider Queen, but I'm not sure that's the one you're looking for. It runs from 10th - 18th level.

I vaguely recall Gnomes getting a fading affliction being a Pathfinder thing?

If it was in Dungeon Mag, this link might help, but a quick search didn't help me: http://thentao.com/dungeon-index.html

There are other Dungeon index links, but they all seems to be broken, or no longer exist. :smallfrown:

There's a fairly good document of Dungeon articles here: https://www.enworld.org/threads/complete-dungeon-index-version-1-152.186857/

[edit 2] Reclaiming Blingdenstone is a D&D next module that sounds like it has a vaguely similar story line, reclaiming an abandoned Deep Gnome city? [/edit 2]

DwarvenWarCorgi
2019-10-10, 07:47 PM
Not familiar with that one. I just stumbled across this today though, might help

Adventure Lookup (https://adventurelookup.com/adventures/)

Thurbane
2019-10-10, 08:14 PM
Many, many years ago I started to run the Night Below mega module, and I recall there being some deep gnome related stuff there, but we never got that far into it...

Palanan
2019-10-10, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Thurbane
I vaguely recall Gnomes getting a fading affliction being a Pathfinder thing?

This is called the Bleaching, and it's a definitive aspect of gnomes in Pathfinder. If they lose interest in the world, they begin to bleach and fade, so they pursue oddball interests to extreme degrees.

I can't recall anything like what the OP is describing, though. There's an old boxed set focused on Menzoberranzan, but not sure if it's what the OP is remembering.

Raendyn
2019-10-11, 07:06 AM
thank you, everyone for your replies.

i m almost surprised i got that feedback considering the very limited info i provided. For some reason we are now dead set on finding and running that specific module. we found our player sheets as well.

The gnome thing wasnt Bleaching, its a 3.5 old module.

I gotta use the links and may rngesus help me.

:smallwink:

Thurbane
2019-10-11, 03:57 PM
I have a couple more suggestions:

The Forge of Fury
Life's Bazaar (Dungeon 97)

...do you think it was a sofcover module, or in a DUngeon magazine? Any chance it was 3rd party, or homebrew?

tiercel
2019-10-12, 02:12 AM
Could you be thinking of the Shackled City adventure path? The gnome city ruins of Jzadirune in the first chapter of the adventure path have the lingering remnants of a disease/curse called The Vanishing that infects some magic items, causing Cha damage and sickened creatures to fade into transparency or even disappear altogether.

[Edit to add] That installment is called Life’s Bazaar, which Thurbane already called out (the chapter name just didn’t ring any bells for me until I checked).

Raendyn
2019-10-12, 05:42 AM
Could you be thinking of the Shackled City adventure path? The gnome city ruins of Jzadirune in the first chapter of the adventure path have the lingering remnants of a disease/curse called The Vanishing that infects some magic items, causing Cha damage and sickened creatures to fade into transparency or even disappear altogether.

[Edit to add] That installment is called Life’s Bazaar, which Thurbane already called out (the chapter name just didn’t ring any bells for me until I checked).

I have a couple more suggestions:

Life's Bazaar (Dungeon 97)

Jzadirune. thats the city's name.
Thanks so much my friends you got it.

Thanks again to anyone trying to help.

Thurbane
2019-10-12, 05:28 PM
The adventure path was later released as a hard cover, which I own, and am planning to run, but I haven't read through it yet.

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/233171019336_/DD-35-Edition-Hardback-THE-SHACKLED.jpg

Raendyn
2019-10-13, 04:26 AM
and am planning to run, but I haven't read through it yet.

Its a nice story. at least until you clear Jzadirune, which is as far as we went back then.

If I were you I'd tone up the first encounters a bit. those solo? or duo? abberations, and the humanoids at the forge. I remember still crystal clear when our lvl1(2?) rogue who was scouting ahead solo killed those whole encounters while we didnt even get to roll initiative.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0018.html
HE did exactly that. :P

Spiders thought are a different story, almost wiped us.

Palanan
2019-10-13, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by Raendyn
The gnome thing wasnt Bleaching, its a 3.5 old module.

And this old 3.5 module might well have been the inspiration for Pathfinder's bleaching. Seems much too similar to be a coincidence.

Thurbane
2019-10-13, 06:53 PM
And this old 3.5 module might well have been the inspiration for Pathfinder's bleaching. Seems much too similar to be a coincidence.

Well, especially considering the adventure was published by Paizo...