PDA

View Full Version : Iterative attacks with thrown weapon

DwarvenWarCorgi
2019-10-09, 11:06 AM
I understand iterative attacks with multiple thrown weapons is a no brainer.

A few weeks ago I was reading at work a thread here where OP was talking about iterative attacks with a Dwarven Thrower. As no one corrected OP, I was a little confused, as it seems a pretty clear RAW that the returning property says "returns to (you) just before (your) next turn". Didn't have time to get into it then, and can't find the thread now. Just wondering if there's RAW support for iterative attacks with a returning weapon, or if people just weren't paying attention to that when answering the actual questions OP had.

liquidformat
2019-10-09, 11:37 AM
Would have to see the post to know what exactly they were talking about, however, if they had levels in Bloodstorm Blade prc does give the ability to use the thrown weapon multiple times in the same round by 4th level.

Silvercrys
2019-10-09, 11:45 AM
It's possible the reason you can't find the thread is that it was in the 5e section -- in DnD 5e you can make iterative attacks with a Dwarven Thrower because it returns instantly. That doesn't work in either Pathfinder 1e or DnD 3.x because, as you say, the returning property brings the weapon back at the beginning of your next turn.

There are ways to get iterative attacks with a throwing weapon, though, like the Blinkback Belt in Pathfinder or taking 4 levels of the Bloodstorm Blade prestige class in Tome of Battle.

DwarvenWarCorgi
2019-10-09, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I'm familiar with bloodstorm. I don't recall anything about ToB in that thread. I'll see if I can find it, like I said though, OP was talking like it was a forgone conclusion, and no one seemed to correct him.

Edit: you may be right about it being on a 5e page though, google just brought me to a page that is similar to what I remember, (been a couple weeks and I take meds for chronic pain, sometimes stuffs fuzzy). Not 100% sure this was what I read, and I know it's 4yrs old, but googles probably how I ended up in a 5e thread anyway if that's where I was.

dwarven thrower optimization (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?438156-Optimizing-for-Dwarven-Thrower)

Segev
2019-10-09, 01:53 PM
There's a pair of gloves in the Magic Item Compendium which create javelins made of force as a free action, allowing you full iterative throws thereof.

You can also do full iteratives of thrown weapons with the quick draw feat; it works particularly well for massive numbers of attacks, provided you have a really good attack bonus, because you can stack TWF and Rapid Shot with it. Probably want daggers, ideally, to minimize off-hand penalties.

DwarvenWarCorgi
2019-10-09, 02:08 PM
Yes, I understand all that.

The question is about multiple attacks in a single round with a single returning weapon.

Segev
2019-10-09, 02:52 PM

The question is about multiple attacks in a single round with a single returning weapon.

Ah. No, not happening in 3.5e as written. As said, Bloodstorm Rager can do it, and I suppose can do it with a returning weapon, but the "returning" property is redundant at that point.

Zaq
2019-10-09, 07:21 PM
Whisperknife can kind of do this, but it’s not unlimited.

RNightstalker
2019-10-09, 07:32 PM

Maybe if you've got Telekinesis or some other manner of returning the weapon to your hand?

DwarvenWarCorgi
2019-10-10, 12:13 AM
Returning weapon with crystal of returning seems silly, but functional. I guess.

Whisperknife looks interesting.

Segev
2019-10-10, 12:49 AM
I suppose you could always get several returning weapons. They’d all come back at the end of the round. But that’d get very expensive.

Mr Adventurer
2019-10-10, 02:33 AM
I suppose you could always get several returning weapons. They’d all come back at the end of the round. But that’d get very expensive.

IIRC there's also no way to instantly sheathe weapons so it gets complicated

Luckmann
2019-10-10, 04:03 AM
IIRC there's also no way to instantly sheathe weapons so it gets complicatedRAW is clear, but I have never met a DM that didn't allow Quick Draw to also apply to sheathing.

Khedrac
2019-10-10, 04:44 AM
RAW is clear, but I have never met a DM that didn't allow Quick Draw to also apply to sheathing.

And I have never met a DM who does...

That said, if they are small weapons (like throwing knives) a reasonable GM should allow multiple weapons to be held in the off-hand ready for throwing - just look at a performing knife thrower - they often do this.

Aotrs Commander
2019-10-10, 04:48 AM

That's what the player I had doing his knife-throwing fighter did.

RAW is clear, but I have never met a DM that didn't allow Quick Draw to also apply to sheathing.

I mean, I DN'd to level 17 with that party and I never even thought about it until it was just now mentioned, I just let him have returning and never gave it any more thought.

DwarvenWarCorgi
2019-10-10, 10:03 AM
Stack of returning shuriken is reasonable. Other than that probably not worth it.

Segev
2019-10-10, 10:53 AM
Honestly, if you have quick draw, picking up and hurling weapons off the ground is not much more "impossible" than doing so with sheathed weapons about your person. Yes, it is harder, but I think it falls within the granularity of how awesome D&D characters are supposed to be.