PDA

View Full Version : Glowing weapon

drblake
2019-10-09, 12:50 PM
Hello,

I'm playing a gloom stalker and need to be in the darkness to be invisible. I just aquired at weapon that emits a dim glow. This works against be being invisible in the dark. My question is am I able to paint the weapon- a long bow- or wrap it in leather or something to hide the glow?

Thx

Lvl 2 Expert
2019-10-09, 01:07 PM
Normally in the real world both options would work. Wrapping it seems like the funny play, because you can always unwrap it if anyone needs a light. (You may have to work for that to come up.)

However, whether this works on magically glowing objects is up to your dm. I guess it should, because a magical effect that hinders you and can't be turned off is a curse.

Brookshw
2019-10-09, 05:49 PM
In previous editions the glow could be turned off by the player, you might want to talk to your DM and see if that could be an option with attunement.

N810
2019-10-10, 09:03 AM
If the blade is the only glowing part, just sheath the sword. :/

A long bow would be trickier, maybe you could hide it under a thick blanket?

NoxMiasma
2019-10-11, 08:34 PM
If the blade is the only glowing part, just sheath the sword. :/

A long bow would be trickier, maybe you could hide it under a thick blanket?

I think the intent is to be able to use the weapon, while retaining Gloom Stalker's excellent invisibility.

I think some kind of wrap around the actual wooden part of the bow would work, but if the string also glows you would definitely have some trouble - maybe swap the sting for a different one in that case? Alternatively, ask the DM if you can turn the glow off, either with a command word, or by attunement.

Its a last resort, but if you really want to keep the invisibility, is there anyone else in the party who would really like a magical longbow? Kind of a bad option, I know, but a constantly-glowing weapon is a pretty poor reward for a Ranger sub-class so dependent on darkness.

Sigreid
2019-10-11, 09:01 PM
If I recall correctly, glows can almost always be turned off.

dragoeniex
2019-10-11, 09:19 PM
Offering to pay a skilled craftsman to mix some magic-obscuring lacquer or embed a small gem stone that absorbs the light would be one way to show your DM you would really like this benefit and be willing to pony up a bit for the privilege.

If you're polite and earnest about your reasons for wanting the perk and don't act entitled to it, you'll give the DM more reason to consider.

Slipperychicken
2019-10-12, 04:08 AM
Wrapping or concealing works for continual flame, so it should work for this too. If I was GMing I'd let you put a thick coat of paint on too.

Also echoing other posters that usually you're allowed to turn the light off. You have to be able to sleep with that thing in your tent, after all.