PDA

View Full Version : TV His Dark Materials: The Series

KatsOfLoathing
2019-10-09, 03:42 PM
I'm not sure if there's been a thread on this, but the first trailer just dropped, so I figured I'd make one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APduGe1eLVI

Overall, I'm impressed by the trailer. Production values seem high across the board (the bears and daemons both look good, as do many of the sets), they've got a nice stable of capable actors carrying the leads, and from what I can tell, the series will hew much more closely to the plot of the book than the movie ever did. The only significant plot element that doesn't appear in the trailer in some form are the witches, but they're pretty minor overall. (I believe it was confirmed in an interview that the daemons can talk in the series, even though it's not shown here.)

I'm curious how much Lee Scoresby's role will be increased for the series, since the trailer seems to indicate as much (unless the advertising is just coasting on Manuel-Miranda's star power, which is a possibility). He wasn't really a major part in the novel, though I woudn't mind seeing more of him.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Narkis
2019-10-09, 04:06 PM
I'd made a thread for the teaser, but I'm pretty sure it would be thread necromancy if you'd revived it.

I liked the books, liked the movie and I'm really looking forward to the series. I hope it does well enough to adapt everything.

I'm very curious how they're gonna deal with books 2 and 3. They had some changes in the scenery that would be very... interesting to show on TV.

KatsOfLoathing
2019-10-11, 05:31 PM
It seems like it's onto a good start so far.

I'll admit I've never read the rest of the trilogy, though the first novel works well enough as a standalone story. I'll get around to those at some point, probably.

Clertar
2019-10-12, 10:39 AM
Really looking forward to it, what a wonderful series of novels. And the second trilogy is underway, I can't wait to meet Lyra again in The Secret Commonwealth.

The New Bruceski
2019-10-13, 12:21 AM
It seems like it's onto a good start so far.

I'll admit I've never read the rest of the trilogy, though the first novel works well enough as a standalone story. I'll get around to those at some point, probably.

I read them, and honestly aside from elephants that evolved wheels and one character being a disillusioned nun who pauses everything to go on a multi-page rant about the Catholic church I honestly don't remember a single thing that happened in them.

Clertar
2019-10-13, 08:38 AM
I read them, and honestly aside from elephants that evolved wheels and one character being a disillusioned nun who pauses everything to go on a multi-page rant about the Catholic church I honestly don't remember a single thing that happened in them.

Not even Will and his knife?

The New Bruceski
2019-10-13, 12:49 PM
Not even Will and his knife?

Nope, that conjures nothing in my mind more than "there was a knife that did something."

Traab
2019-10-13, 01:09 PM
Nope, that conjures nothing in my mind more than "there was a knife that did something."

Well it was subtle.

Delicious Taffy
2019-10-13, 01:51 PM
Based on that preview, it looks like they're gonna have all the big scenes from the first book. I hope they do it better than that old movie, but it's too early to call.

If the golden monkey gets named, I'm not gonna be especially surprised.