PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Warlock and Rogue Subclasses

FoxDropz
2019-10-09, 04:47 PM
Yo guys!

Trying to better understand some of these Rogue and Warlock Subclasses (not multiclassing) so I can pick one for a new character, most probably for a Descent into Avernus campaign (no spoilers pls! =P).

So far, Im interested in the following Subclasses:

Rogue Assassin

Rogue Swashbuckler

Rogue Thief

Warlock Hexblade

Warlock Great Old One

Warlock Fiend

I'd like to know what are the main differences between those Subclasses and here are also some of my personal preferences:

Mechanics, background, roleplaying, spells, strengths and weaknesses?

No multiclassing. The other players havent picked their classes yet.

I like to be one of the party Damage Dealers

Looking for a class that I wont be overwhelmed as an intermediate player. "Easy to play" and "feel strong" class.

A Class that is balanced like: combat (50%), social (25%) and exploration (25%).

Cool tricks/moves are also appreciated. Trying not to pick a dull/boring Class. Little bit of flavor on it!

Race-wise: I wont be picking Halflings, Gnomes, Goblins... I'll probably roll with Half-elf, Tiefling or Elf, depending on the build. I'd like to optimize a bit once I choose the Subclass.

Which one of these Subclasses do you recommend and which Race would you pick?

Segev
2019-10-09, 05:05 PM
For ease of play, and being a damage-dealing front-liner, Hexblade going Pact of the Blade is tied for gishiest gish in the game (with Eltritch Knight, and arguably Bladepact Hexblade is the more gishy). However, I hate the Hexblade conceptually, so I'll offer additional advice and thoughts. :P

The Assassin is pretty straight-forward if you figure out good ways to get Surprise and Advantage. It does a lot of burst damage, and as a rogue gets cool things like Expertise (2x Proficiency to some select things) and bonus action stealth/dash options.

My personal favorite on your list is Great Old One Warlock, because I adore Awakened Mind as a fluff ability. Even if your DM rules that its one-way communication (you can make them hear your thoughts, but can't read their mind without detect thoughts up), it still means you can be certain anybody you want to communicate with can understand you, regardless of language. And they can't necessarily tell where it's coming from, if you don't want them to, and nobody you don't want to can hear it!

Thief is going to be the heaviest on Explore. It has the best options for getting around, unless you really push for it with careful Invocation and spell selection on a Warlock.