PDA

View Full Version : Rogue/Hexblade multiclass

Ha Do Ken
2019-10-09, 09:06 PM
Hey guys

I need a bit of advice. I'm currently playing in a campaign playing a multiclass Rogue/Hexblade and am looking for advice on which way to go with it.
The character is a Tabaxi female with the Charlatan background. I'm currently playing her as a smart mouth, smooth talker type who takes every advantage she can get (The first session I pimped out the party Bard to a local tavern keeper for free drinks for the night....hey a girl's gotta make a living right !!).
Anyways I'll detail the character below and any and all advice will be appreciated.

Name: Zephyr
Race: Tabaxi
Class: Rogue 3 (Swashbuckler)/ Hexblade 2
AC: 17 (Studded Leather + Shield)
Stats: STR 8, DEX 16, CON 13, INT 10, WIS 12, CHA 16
Background: Charlatan
Expertise Skills: Acrobatics and Deception
Cantrips: Eldritch Blast (of course) and Prestidigitation
1st Level Spells: Charm Person, Hex and Hellish Rebuke
Invocations: Misty Visions (Silent Image spell at will) and Mask of many faces (Disguise Self spell at will)

Currently she is a sword and board using hit and move tactics in combat. I went with the shield because the the Bard in the group has went College of Swords with 2 weapon fighting and I didn't want to step on her toes (besides I like the extra protection). Mask of many faces is sometimes used in conjunction with Charm Person to get round that nasty "They know you've used magic on them and become hostile towards you" clause. A different disguise everytime, a few minutes to work the con and once I'm out of sight they suddenly become hostile to someone who'll never be seen again.
Anyway that's where I am so far, I'm definitely taking Pact of the Blade next because....duh !!....but where from there...focus on Rogue for Sneak Attack and stuff...or Warlock for spells and **** ???.....I can't decide !!

Currently she

Bobthewizard
2019-10-10, 08:07 AM
I love misty visions, devils sight and mask of many faces on a rogue. I like to get to Warlock 5 for thirsting blade and 3rd level spells, and Rogue 7 for evasion, maybe 8 for the ASI. Then decide if you want better sneak attack damage or more spells. Either one is fine.

Booming blade and mobile feat work great for this too, especially if you want mostly warlock. If you are going to go mostly rogue, I'd take thirsting blade to get the extra chance at sneak attack.

LentilNinja
2019-10-10, 11:29 AM
If you're doing Hexblade/Rogue, I'd recommend going to at least level 6 in Warlock. Accursed Specter is a mostly permanent Help action that's free, which makes your SA almost always online. This combined with the Hexblade Curse and the Hex spell makes you a formidable one-on-one combatant. This can be combined with your Swashbuckler hit & run tactics, allowing you to move quickly into position when your target falls & you shift your effects to another.

Level 6 is a good cap point in Warlock, but if you would like more spells to play with I'd suggest as high as 10 for the 50% Blur against your cursed target, or 12 to get +CHA to damage (again). However, every 2 levels of Rogue you miss out on you're also missing out on 1d6 damage. Warlock 12 however will grant you a +5 to damage (with 20 CHA), which on average would be worth 3 levels of SA.

Whether you go for more WL or Rogue is up to you. For optimal damage, in terms of raw numbers it would be Rogue. But if you're interested in the spells, I'd recommend you check out the higher levels of Warlock and see what level you'd prefer to bow out.

Keravath
2019-10-10, 12:16 PM
If you're doing Hexblade/Rogue, I'd recommend going to at least level 6 in Warlock. Accursed Specter is a mostly permanent Help action that's free, which makes your SA almost always online. This combined with the Hexblade Curse and the Hex spell makes you a formidable one-on-one combatant. This can be combined with your Swashbuckler hit & run tactics, allowing you to move quickly into position when your target falls & you shift your effects to another.

Level 6 is a good cap point in Warlock, but if you would like more spells to play with I'd suggest as high as 10 for the 50% Blur against your cursed target, or 12 to get +CHA to damage (again). However, every 2 levels of Rogue you miss out on you're also missing out on 1d6 damage. Warlock 12 however will grant you a +5 to damage (with 20 CHA), which on average would be worth 3 levels of SA.

Whether you go for more WL or Rogue is up to you. For optimal damage, in terms of raw numbers it would be Rogue. But if you're interested in the spells, I'd recommend you check out the higher levels of Warlock and see what level you'd prefer to bow out.

I'd just mention that in my experience Accursed Spectre is far from reliable. I have a level 11 melee hexblade and I have only managed to create a spectre three times.
1) You need to be fighting humanoids
2) You need to get the killing blow
3) The spectre only lasts until the end of your next long rest
4) The spectre is very squishy (it is resistant to most damage but doesn't have many hit points or a good AC)

So, personally, I would not consider getting a spectre to be a good reason to take hexblade to level 6.

My breakpoints would be:
Hexblade 3 for bladelock and improved pact weapon (if you need a magic weapon)
Hexblade 5 for thirsting blade (two attacks with your pact weapon helps land sneak attack and can be very useful)
Hexblade 7 for Shadow of Moil ... or if you went with Fey warlock Greater Invisibility

Corran
2019-10-10, 12:52 PM
Currently she is a sword and board using hit and move tactics in combat. I went with the shield because the the Bard in the group has went College of Swords with 2 weapon fighting and I didn't want to step on her toes (besides I like the extra protection).
If you decide to go mostly rogue, consider advancing at least to warlock 5 for the thirsting blade invocation (requires committing to pact of the blade though). The extra attack will be important when you'll have a lot of sneak attack dice. Also, 2 attacks means disengage for free against two enemies (since swashbuckler) and perhaps using your bonus action for something else (if no more than 2 enemies are adjacent to you), like for dashing to put more distance between you and the enemies, or for hiding.