PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Epic Chameleon

Jack_Simth
2019-10-09, 09:52 PM
So, the Chameleon (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b) is a rather nifty prestiege class. Unfortunately, it didn't get any further support past it's tenth level. I'm currently applying to a game that is expected to go into Epic levels, and so I'm hoping to get an epic progression for it. Looks like I'll need to make one.

The Epic Chameleon

Level
Benefits

Epic Bonus Feat, Mimic Class Feature (4/day)

Dual Boon (+6/+2)

Aptitude Focus 4/day (+6), Mimic Class Feature (5/day)

Epic Bonus Feat

Dual Boon (+6/+4)

Mimic Class Feature (6/day)

Aptitude Focus 5/day (+6), Epic Bonus Feat, Dual Boon (+6/+6)

Aptitude focus: At 15th level, and every five levels thereafter, the Chameleon can change their aptitude focus one additional time per day. Note that switching off of a spellcasting focus, and then back on, does not refresh the spells - that requires rest as normal. Additionally, at 15th level and every ten levels thereafter, the bonuses provided by the aptitude focus increase by 2.

Epic Bonus Feats: At 12th level, and every four levels thereafter, the Chameleon gains an additional bonus feat (as the 2nd level Chameleon class feature), except that the Chameleon may take Epic feats in these feat slots, and may use the current Aptitude Focus to qualify for these feats (but only these feats).

Mimic Class Feature: At 12th level, and every three levels thereafter, the Chameleon gains an additional use of this ability.

Dual Boon: At 14th level, the Chameleon gains the Ability Boon class feature for a second ability score, starting at +2. Every three levels thereafter, this second ability boon increases by +2, the ability bonus provided by the Chameleon's Ability Boon class feature applies to an additional ability score whenever selected. When this ability boon would exceed +6, it instead produces an additional track (so +6/+6/+2 at 22nd, +6/+6/+6/+2 at 31st, and so on).

Aptitude focus, Mimic Class Feature, and Ability boon are all simple progressions of the same-named class features of the Chameleon.

Epic Bonus Feats: Bonus Feat, Double Aptitude, and Rapid Refocus don't have any obvious progression. However: There's three of them, and bonus feats are a staple of Epic. So: Epic bonus floating feats. I tossed in the caveat of letting you qualify for them based on your aptitude focus to allow higher level spellcasting (via Improved Spell Capacity) to eventually be able to mimic 17th level Wizards, Clerics, Druids, and such.

2019-10-13: DM in question didn't like ability boon scaling indefinately. Switched to two-tracks per his suggestion.

Afghanistan
2019-10-09, 11:13 PM
This is a fine write up, but I've mostly just been using Jaerom Darkwind's Red Mage (https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/dicefreaks/the-red-mage-thread-repost-t173.html) for my epic Chameleon needs. Yours however DOES the same thing, except your Epic Bonus feat is markedly far more power, which is a fairly reasonable trade off from the lack of Psionics and Martial Maneuvers, but overall it is very excellent.