PDA

View Full Version : Definition of "Creature" for True Polymorph?

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-10-10, 09:41 AM
I have a handle on what is a Beast or Fey. I don't have a good handle on what is a creature.

Does True Polymorph pretty much get to choose all monsters CR9 or lower or what is excluded?

Demonslayer666
2019-10-10, 10:04 AM
I have a feeling that "ask your DM" is the best answer for the exclusion list.

As a DM, I would allow anything in the Monster Manual or other published D&D books, and also give you a lot of leeway since it is a 9th level spell.

Note that an object into a creature is limited to CR9, but creature to a creature is limited by the CR/level of the creature.

dragoeniex
2019-10-10, 10:09 AM
Broadly speaking, anything semi-sentient and not an item. Does it have a monster stat block? It counts!

Your DM may also allow you to permanently change someone's race/appearance/etc without a strict stat block, but that's more of an "ask first" thing.

diplomancer
2019-10-10, 11:11 AM
Related: if you cast it twice on a CR1 creature to turn it into an object and then back into a different creature, can this new one be CR9?

darknite
2019-10-10, 11:51 AM
Related: if you cast it twice on a CR1 creature to turn it into an object and then back into a different creature, can this new one be CR9?

You can't be under the effect of two identical spells at the same time - 'the effects of the same spell cast multiple times don't combine." A True Polymorphed creature is under the effect of True Polymorph for the duration of the spell (1hr Concentration -> Permanent) and hence can't be True Poly'd again until the first spell is negated.

NNescio
2019-10-10, 12:22 PM
You can't be under the effect of two identical spells at the same time - 'the effects of the same spell cast multiple times don't combine." A True Polymorphed creature is under the effect of True Polymorph for the duration of the spell (1hr Concentration -> Permanent) and hence can't be True Poly'd again until the first spell is negated.

That's not how the stacking rule works. You are quoting it out of context. Here it is in full:

The effects of different spells add together while the durations of those spells overlap. The effects of the same spell cast multiple times don’t combine, however. Instead, the most potent effect—such as the highest bonus—from those castings applies while their durations overlap, or the most recent effect applies if the castings are equally potent and their durations overlap.

For example, if two clerics cast bless on the same target, that character gains the spell’s benefit only once; he or she doesn’t get to roll two bonus dice.

— Combining Magical Effects, PHB, p.205
— Combining Magical Effects, PH-Errata (2018), p.3

You can slap multiple True Polymorphs on the same target. All their durations will overlap. Only the most potent effect applies (the rest are functionally 'suppressed', but their durations still tick down), and if they are ruled equally potent, then the most recent True Poly takes effect.

dragoeniex
2019-10-10, 02:07 PM
That's not how the stacking rule works. You are quoting it out of context. Here it is in full:

You can slap multiple True Polymorphs on the same target. All their durations will overlap. Only the most potent effect applies (the rest are functionally 'suppressed', but their durations still tick down), and if they are ruled equally potent, then the most recent True Poly takes effect.

Even then, if only the second True Polymorph's effects are active, the first cast can no longer actively count as having the base creature turned into a stone or lamp or what-have-you.

If your second cast of TP broke, your CR 1 or lower (not up to CR 9) creature would go back to an inanimate object if for some reason the first caster was still concentrating.

There's not a way to cheese around turning a lower CR creature into a higher one unless your DM wants to allow additional shenanigans.

darknite
2019-10-10, 03:25 PM

Yet you can't benefit from the same spell twice, period. Tell me where it says you can benefit from two instances of the same spell at the same time, especially when it says you can't. Taking 'the most powerful' effect is the first polymorph, because the second would be dependent on the first to give it a more powerful effect. Hence the second would not be allowed. Expect table variation.

greenstone
2019-10-10, 03:54 PM
I have a feeling that "ask your DM" is the best answer for the exclusion list.

As a DM, I would allow anything in the Monster Manual or other published D&D books,

I think that's about the best answer you are going to get - "something in the monster manual."