PDA

View Full Version : It's dangerous to go alone take this

Trandir
2019-10-11, 10:09 AM
Your party just helped a powerful being and it wants to reward you.
The reward is a special power and the being is generous enough to accomodate to your wishes.

What would you choose?
(The power should comparable to a feat so if you can don't ask for anything gamebreaking)

Something I'd like:
Supernatural Luck (for a halfling bard)
You can use your lucky trait also when you roll a 2. You can use your lucky trait to reroll the dice untill you obtain a resoult different than a 1 (you keep a 2 if this is the second time you use this feature).
Also once per long rest you can decide the outcome of a single dice roll, coin toss, card draw and other similar gambles.

Segev
2019-10-11, 10:35 AM
Likely either the ability to cast silent image at will, or a Wand of Silent Image (using other wands as inspiration, likely 7 charges, regains 1d6+1 charges every morning). For my illusionist who has Warlock-envy.

IsaacsAlterEgo
2019-10-11, 10:40 AM
My Moon Druid would probably ask for access to Fireball, maybe even as an always-prepared type thing. Over the course of the campaign he's become something of the group pyromaniac, and bemoans only having access to Produce Flame to back up his threats of burnination. He's currently got a necklace of fireball, but thats only temporary. He's got to have the capability of burning down the house/village/forest/etc. he can use on a whim to be happy.

J-H
2019-10-11, 10:41 AM
I'd take an ASI.

Malphegor
2019-10-11, 10:41 AM
A golden coin that will teleport/fly to you on command, Mjolnir style. Sure, its market value is only 1gp.

But being able to always have at least 1 gold forever? that's potentially economy-breaking.. but honestly so is a lot of the stuff adventurers do.

N810
2019-10-11, 10:48 AM
How about a second bonus action ? :nale:

Lvl 2 Expert
2019-10-11, 11:11 AM
The trick is to get something that you can't really get any other way. A low level spell as an at will ability is a decent start, especially for a non-caster. And not something that can be applied to most problems the characters face like magic missile, but something really situational, like water walk. Set yourself up with a signature move and try to make it work. "I disguise myself as a ghost to scare the pirates, known for being superstitious, into running or talking rather than attacking. I should get a bonus to that disguise check for floating over the water."

Getting permanency on some spell that usually doesn't get it (in 5e that's any spell) might be good too. Maybe an alter self/polymorph kind of effect. And choose a really dumb option, like some monster that doesn't offer any real advantages, but that normally has a -lots penalty in whichever mental stat you're strongest in. Then keep asking the DM to describe the looks on NPCs' faces. Bonus points if you get permanency on an effect that's weak but not really described by any spell even non-permanently.

Also maybe an object you need to do stuff with inside the world. An actual lucky coin might be nice. Any character that twiddles it between her fingers while performing an action is extra lucky. (Let's say a +6 luck bonus, goes down by 1 for every time it gets used during a single day.) So you're not just getting a mechanical bonus, you're fidgeting with this in-world coin. People might ask you why you're doing that, or try to steal the coin.

An IOU could work too. A little paper note, if it gets ripped in two or otherwise destroyed the powerful entity that rewarded you will show up for a one time getting you out of trouble free. Mae sure you know how powerful the entity is, so what the expiration date on the thing is. You don't want to your final gambit against the red dragon of Reddragonsville to be serving it unicorn-king-of-the-forest-filet. Or maybe you do, it would be kind of funny.

Or you could just go for trolling the DM and humbly ask for "a pizza for my player. His motivation is low, but the taste of fresh Italian herbs and spices will pick him right back up."

dragoeniex
2019-10-11, 11:21 AM
The ability to apply a non-concentration Bane effect to one enemy per short or long rest, either via bonus action or upon damage/hit.

This would need to be a later game boon, and the other members should be getting something punchy also.

Expected
2019-10-11, 11:36 AM
The permanent ability to focus on two concentration spells at once.

KorvinStarmast
2019-10-11, 11:36 AM
Your party just helped a powerful being and it wants to reward you.
The reward is a special power and the being is generous enough to accomodate to your wishes.

If you hit the DMG, there are things called epic boons. pages 230-232. Pick one. boon of speed would be nice

GlenSmash!
2019-10-11, 11:52 AM
If you hit the DMG, there are things called epic boons. pages 230-232. Pick one. boon of speed would be nice

Boon of Combat Prowess for a character with GWM or Sharpshooter is pretty great

Boon of Recovery on a 14+ Zealot is very handy.

FaerieGodfather
2019-10-11, 12:15 PM
The ability to perform surgery as a xixchil.

Laserlight
2019-10-11, 12:49 PM
Divination Wizard's "roll 2d20, apply them to whatever you want that day"

Sigreid
2019-10-11, 01:06 PM
My primary attribute cap raised by 2.

Wuzza
2019-10-11, 01:20 PM
Divination Wizard's "roll 2d20, apply them to whatever you want that day"

That's pretty good, although I'd go 1d20 and let them use it for any roll, PC or NPC. (Foresight?)

Mud Puppy
2019-10-11, 01:55 PM
My Moon Druid would probably ask for access to Fireball, maybe even as an always-prepared type thing. Over the course of the campaign he's become something of the group pyromaniac, and bemoans only having access to Produce Flame to back up his threats of burnination. He's currently got a necklace of fireball, but thats only temporary. He's got to have the capability of burning down the house/village/forest/etc. he can use on a whim to be happy.

This would be my party's Moon Druid's wish too.... specifically for burninating the THATCH ROOF COTTAGES!

Mongobear
2019-10-13, 01:38 AM
Spellcasters - The ability to Concentrate on two spells at once. OR The ability to ignore the Bonus Action spells force Action spells to be Cantrips, depends on my class at the time.

Martials - A Magical weapon that grows in power as I use it/level up, and the ability to always have it like Weapon Bond/Pact of the Blade.

Greywander
2019-10-13, 03:17 AM
As a wizard: adding one (or more) non-wizard spell(s) to my spellbook (technically, adding them to the wizard spell list, which in turn allows me to copy them into my spellbook). This came up in another campaign (now on indefinite pause), and Pass without Trace, Conjure Animals, Plant Growth, and Spirit Guardians were all highly recommended, just to name a few.

As anyone: learning a spell (probably 1st or 2nd level) that I can cast at-will. Some spells (like Shield or Healing Word) are more broken, but others (like Enlarge/Reduce, Misty Step, or Spiderclimb) are more interesting and less game breaking. Some DM discretion would be required, but I'd make sure to only ask for a spell I thought was balanced.

As anyone except a chainlock: getting the chainlock's Find Familiar + Voice of the Chainmaster. There's just so much utility (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?571635-The-many-uses-of-an-imp-familiar) in this one feature, I'd get it on every character if I could.

Regenerating HP every round (even just 1 HP) would be really great as well. More cantrips are always welcome. I could probably think of a few other things I might ask for. And of course you could always wish for something related to the narrative, like reviving your dead dog or something.