PDA

View Full Version : Puzzled Binding the Snarl with purple quiddty without making the world anew

Quartz
2019-10-11, 10:45 AM
How does Thor propose to use The Dark One's purple quiddity to bind the Snarl without breaking the world?

Or, does Thor just want this world to last long enough for The Dark One to have sufficient mana to survive the inevitable destruction of this world and to survive to the making of the next world and thus the proper binding of the Snarl with TDO's purple quiddity?

Fyraltari
2019-10-11, 10:51 AM
Thor intends to rebuild/reinforce the Gates with all four divine essences rather than paltry mortal magic. And then to keep patching it up as new rifts appear.

Throknor
2019-10-11, 10:56 AM
How does Thor propose to use The Dark One's purple quiddity to bind the Snarl without breaking the world?

Or, does Thor just want this world to last long enough for The Dark One to have sufficient mana to survive the inevitable destruction of this world and to survive to the making of the next world and thus the proper binding of the Snarl with TDO's purple quiddity?

He wants to build better seals to any rifts than the mortals could do.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1142.html

Then the snarl won't be able to break through.

Though, it may already have done so:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0945.html

Dun dun dun!

Quartz
2019-10-11, 11:42 AM
You know, I see a lot of purple in that last frame.

woweedd
2019-10-11, 11:46 AM
He wants to build better seals to any rifts than the mortals could do.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1142.html

Then the snarl won't be able to break through.

Though, it may already have done so:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0945.html

Dun dun dun!
Not necessarily. The Snarl could emerge slowly with time: Think of the rifts as slowly waking him up, but it's not like all five gates break and he emerges immediately: More like every Gate that breaks wakes him up a little more. With this many rifts active, he's rolling around a lot, maybe even waking for a few brief seconds, but he's stuck in bed. With enough rifts, he's able to finally roll out of bed and start going about his day, or, in this metaphor, destroy the world. destroying the final Gate may not immediately wake him up, but it'd be a big enough push to force him into metaphorical-wakefulness, and after that, the end of the world would be a foregone conclusion within maybe a few hours.

Throknor
2019-10-11, 12:57 PM
Not necessarily. The Snarl could emerge slowly with time: Think of the rifts as slowly waking him up, but it's not like all five gates break and he emerges immediately: More like every Gate that breaks wakes him up a little more. With this many rifts active, he's rolling around a lot, maybe even waking for a few brief seconds, but he's stuck in bed. With enough rifts, he's able to finally roll out of bed and start going about his day, or, in this metaphor, destroy the world. destroying the final Gate may not immediately wake him up, but it'd be a big enough push to force him into metaphorical-wakefulness, and after that, the end of the world would be a foregone conclusion within maybe a few hours.

See, I've taken it that the rifts are the places that the Snarl has chipped through. The worlds have been described as analogous to prisons that it is actively attempting to escape from.

factotum
2019-10-11, 01:05 PM
You know, I see a lot of purple in that last frame.

Which just shows that the Snarl is coloured partially purple, not that it has any purple quiddity. Or do you think that they ought to be able to stop it just using a rainbow, since that has *seven* colours in it and ought to be totes powerful, right?

Jasdoif
2019-10-11, 01:17 PM
Which just shows that the Snarl is coloured partially purple, not that it has any purple quiddity. Or do you think that they ought to be able to stop it just using a rainbow, since that has *seven* colours in it and ought to be totes powerful, right?Hey, prismatic sphere (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/prismaticSphere.htm) is valid for permanency (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm); maybe Dorukan tried to seal the rifts that way, before finding something that actually worked!

Gluteus_Maximus
2019-10-11, 08:16 PM
Which just shows that the Snarl is coloured partially purple, not that it has any purple quiddity. Or do you think that they ought to be able to stop it just using a rainbow, since that has *seven* colours in it and ought to be totes powerful, right?

There's also that all depictions of the Snarl have been many shades of purple- no trace of the Yellow and Green that made it up besides the Red and Blue that might mix to make Purple. Plus, are all things made of a quiddity that combination of colors?

EDIT: Not to mention, that even if the Snarl had Purple quiddity, that wouldn't help against a 4 color seal since the Snarl is still only 4 colors

Quartz
2019-10-12, 11:35 AM
What if TDO is actually, secretly, a manifestation of the Snarl?

Morty
2019-10-12, 12:43 PM
What if TDO is actually, secretly, a manifestation of the Snarl?

Because he's purple?

Schroeswald
2019-10-12, 01:27 PM
The Dark One is Redcloak’s niece.

Riftwolf
2019-10-12, 02:48 PM
Because he's purple?

Isn't that quidditist?
I mean, clearly Durkon is the Uber-Snarl, having white quiddity which can only come from combining all colours. Speaking of colours, I forgot how to write in sarcastic blue for this post.

Schroeswald
2019-10-12, 02:59 PM
Isn't that quidditist?
I mean, clearly Durkon is the Uber-Snarl, having white quiddity which can only come from combining all colours. Speaking of colours, I forgot how to write in sarcastic blue for this post.

It's because you aren't one of the southern gods with their blue quiddities.

RatElemental
2019-10-14, 05:58 AM

He said they could spot weld the rifts forever. I imagine since he basically said the gods would handle the actual sealing, it won't leave behind a gate that can be broken, it'll just be a location in the world where a rift will never form again but is otherwise indistinguishable from the rest of reality to mortals.

woweedd
2019-10-14, 10:59 AM
Isn't that quidditist?
I'm actually half-convinced that Rich, when he was writing the outline of the story and decided the Quiddities thing would be a plot point, he thought of the idea as a result of the whole "color-coded magic" thing the comic's been doing since day 1. I don't think there's any link there in-universe, but I think, on a meta level, that's what led him to get the idea.

Flame of Anor
2019-10-14, 11:36 AM
The Dark One is Redcloak’s niece.

and they're both the Monster in the Darkness :mitd: