PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Buckler of Prohibition [3.5 magic item] (block 1 type of specific magic)

gooddragon1
2019-10-12, 07:27 PM
Deleted content

nxwtypx
2019-10-14, 11:51 AM
I like what you have here - the melted locks description is exceptionally creative. Perhaps a spellcraft check might be required for your Bob-the-Fighter type to even comprehend what spell he's nullifying with the Buckler of Prohibition.

I think it's just little bit expensive for what it does.

Let's round the prohibition effect up to being Spell Immunity - a 4th level spell, activated by command word, once per day:
(4 (spell level) * 7 (caster level) * 1,800 (command word formula)) / (5/1) (one daily use) + 1150 (Masterwork Buckler made of melted locks 🤘) = 11,230 gp

Unless you value that +8 to the caster level check at ~7000 gp, methinks a price break is in order.

Thoughts?

Silva Stormrage
2019-10-15, 01:46 AM
I like what you have here - the melted locks description is exceptionally creative. Perhaps a spellcraft check might be required for your Bob-the-Fighter type to even comprehend what spell he's nullifying with the Buckler of Prohibition.

I think it's just little bit expensive for what it does.

Let's round the prohibition effect up to being Spell Immunity - a 4th level spell, activated by command word, once per day:
(4 (spell level) * 7 (caster level) * 1,800 (command word formula)) / (5/1) (one daily use) + 1150 (Masterwork Buckler made of melted locks 🤘) = 11,230 gp

Unless you value that +8 to the caster level check at ~7000 gp, methinks a price break is in order.

Thoughts?

I agree that the item is an interesting design, I think the item is fairly decently priced though. It has quite a few advantages over your example item. 1) It lasts all day instead of an hour, which is a major advantage, 2) It can't be dispelled early only temporarily suppressed by dispel effects. 3) It functions on a spell of any level instead of only on 4th level and lower effects, 4) It functions against weapon special qualities such as vorpal. While situational I can imagine an incorporeal or ethereal creature greatly enjoying negating ghost touch or force on their enemy's weapons.

A couple questions though for the OP,

1) How does it interact with summoned monsters/creatures. Do the creatures blip out when they attack the wielder? Do their SLA's/abilities?

2) How does it interact with instantaneous effects. Lets say you name wall of stone. Would it prevent the wall of stone from touching the wielder and cause the spell to fail if the caster attempted to? I imagine it wouldn't cause an already cast wall of stone to blip out of existence.

3) As written it can block out epic magic. While not something that comes up I might suggest adding a power cap to prevent this item from blocking godly spells and effects.

4) What exactly is the point of the section "but this buckler is treated as having a caster level 8 higher against dispel effects". Does this mean that enemies attempting to cast dispel magic on the buckler have to beat that increased CL to suppress the item for 1d4 rounds as dispel magic effects items? Or does it mean that the actual defensive properties of the buckler are vulnerable to dispel magic?

5) Can it block SLA's or things similar to spells? (Shadowcaster's mysteries. Truenamer's utterances, psionic powers, etc)

6) In a similar but much less important vein to above, would disjunction shatter the antimagic field around the character? The antimagic field only applies to other spells but it still exists right? I am just curious about this interaction.

Evil DM Mark3
2019-10-15, 03:44 AM
I agree with the pricepoint, the an all day Vs 1hr any level Vs Level 4 max plus being able to call out weapons properties etc is worth the difference.

While there is no need for the user to pass Spellcraft to name the target (as written they just need to say the word Vorpal, even if they have no idea what that means, to block being snicker-snacked) I do think you should include a note reminding the reader that the user will have to have some other method for identifying the threat, such as Spellcraft or a knowledgeable allay.

Vaern
2019-10-15, 01:54 PM
I agree with the pricepoint, the an all day Vs 1hr any level Vs Level 4 max plus being able to call out weapons properties etc is worth the difference.
Honestly, it's not even an "all day" effect. It lasts until the ability is activated again, which makes it a continuous effect. Definitely worth the increased price. If one of these were found in a dungeon it would most likely already be set to block a specific spell or effect, even if it's been left unattended for years, and thus it would be appropriate to roll on the loot table for scrolls to determine what spell its last user was trying to block (or have it set against a spell or ability that a creature within the dungeon has used or will use against the party). That's assuming, of course, that the effect persists even after the item has been taken off.

On a side note, I'm somewhat disappointed that nobody has given any feedback on my Buckler of Prohibition (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?600581-Buckler-of-Prohibition-3-5-magic-item-(prevent-hooligans-from-consuming-alcohol)) :<