PDA

View Full Version : Skirmish Stance?

bigbaddragon
2007-10-16, 09:00 PM
Are there any other ways of boosting skirmish damage besides Improved Skirmish and Bracers (or gloves, can't remember) of Agile Striking, assuming that you're not going to take levels in a class that offers skirmish progression?

Some ToB stance perhaps? I know there is one which boosts sneak attack by 2d6.

Reel On, Love
2007-10-16, 09:02 PM
Are there any other ways of boosting skirmish damage besides Improved Skirmish and Bracers (or gloves, can't remember) of Agile Striking, assuming that you're not going to take levels in a class that offers skirmish progression?

Some ToB stance perhaps? I know there is one which boosts sneak attack by 2d6.

There are feats in the Complete Scoundrel that let a class other than Scout progress Skirmish if you're a multiclassed Scout/X, but that's about it.

You could ask the DM to approve a variation of ToB's Assassin's Stance, call it the Skirmisher's Stance, that gives +2d6 Skirmish or +1d6 Skirmish, +1 AC rather than +2d6 sneak attack.

Merlin the Tuna
2007-10-16, 10:45 PM
There are a number of ToB maneuvers that combine additional attacks with movement (Sudden Leap, Desert Tempest, Wolf Fang Strike, and so on and so forth) but none that explicitly grant Skirmish. Stances which could be used effectively by a skirmisher include Child of Shadow, Pearl of Black Doubt, Absolute Steel, Dancing Blade Form, Press the Advantage, and Wolf Pack Tactics. There are also a mess of stances that improve movement in other ways.

Reel On, Love
2007-10-16, 10:47 PM
There are a number of ToB maneuvers that combine additional attacks with movement (Sudden Leap, Desert Tempest, Wolf Fang Strike, and so on and so forth) but none that explicitly grant Skirmish. Stances which could be used effectively by a skirmisher include Child of Shadow, Pearl of Black Doubt, Absolute Steel, Dancing Blade Form, Press the Advantage, and Wolf Pack Tactics. There are also a mess of stances that improve movement in other ways.

It's almost like they realized that mobility is really important!

Merlin the Tuna
2007-10-17, 12:49 AM
It's almost like they realized that mobility is really important!Lunacy! Lunacy, I say!

The_Snark
2007-10-17, 02:37 AM
Desert Fire and Desert Wind Dodge are like little mini-skirmishes, but they only work with Desert Wind strikes/weapons, respectively.

When I saw this, though, I have to say, I thought of the Press the Advantage stance, which lets you take two 5-ft steps in a round. Perfect for scouts.

Too bad they can't get it without 3 feat investments, and even then they have to wait until level 18...

Person_Man
2007-10-17, 11:12 AM
Improved Skirmish from Complete Scoundrel give you +2d6 Skirmish if you move at least 20 feet.

There's one or two magic items that give you bonus Skirmish damage. I know there's one in the Magic Item Compendium.

The Dragon Devotee from Races of the Dragon gives you +1d6 Skirmish on its 2nd and 4th levels (or Sneak Attack, or bonus feats).

Darrin
2007-10-17, 11:29 AM
The Dragon Devotee from Races of the Dragon gives you +1d6 Skirmish on its 2nd and 4th levels (or Sneak Attack, or bonus feats).

Unseen Seer from Complete Mage also will advance precision-based extra damage such as Skirmish.

Nowhere Girl
2007-10-17, 02:09 PM
There's a mechanic in ToB that allows you to develop new techniques (basically, the martial adept's version of researching a new spell). You could probably just develop your own ... and even name it!

For bonus points, try to convince your GM to let you name it something like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or Crane Technique. :smallbiggrin: