PDA

View Full Version : Building a Warlock of the Deep, any chance of some advice?

togapika
2019-10-13, 12:01 AM
Rolling a character for an IRL game, and we're starting at 3rd level. 27 Point buy with max 16 min 6.
I'm thinking I'll roll a Half-Elf Warlock of the Deep.

In addition to any general tips regarding this specific UA subclass, many Warlock guides I've looked at mention that it's fairly worthwhile to only do Warlock 14 and use the 6 levels for something else, but none of the guides are updated enough to include this subclass, and they also don't mention HOW to multiclass. What I mean is when to take levels in each particular class, whether to take all the levels in a row or intersperse them, that sort of thing.

Warlush
2019-10-13, 12:43 AM
It seems like the Patron features mostly either slow enimies down or create a stationary AoE. Seems to synergize with Repelling Blast, Grasp of Hadar, and Lance of Lethargy. So obviously not a lot of blade pact synergy.

The tentacles requiring a bonus action is gonna compete with Hex and the Hex related invocations, as well as any spells that use you bonus action like Far Step.

As far as Multiclassing goes, I like to get 5 levels of Warlock first. The 3rd level spells are too good to wait. After that, 3 levels of Bard or Sorcerer will get you four 1st level slots and two 2nd level slots, as well as spells you want like Shield or Dissonant Whispers. Not to mention Metamagic or whatever awesome bard subclass stuff. This build schedule really rounds out a Warlock, giving them way more resorces for in and out of combat. After that I would go straight to Warlock 14.

As far as pact boons, I love the Chain Pact familiar, but the Tome is undeniably awesome.

togapika
2019-10-13, 12:49 AM
3 levels of Bard or Sorcerer. After that I would go straight to Warlock 14.

What flavor of Bard or Sorc do you think synergizes best with this kind of warlock? Also if you go warlock 14 after the 3 levels, then how do you spend the remaining levels?

What about trying Swashbuckler Rogue as my 2nd class, or would that need too much investment?

Warlush
2019-10-15, 04:03 PM
I'd take the last 3 levels in bard. I love Lore Bard for cutting words.
Honestly scorcerer isn't as much fun for me, with the huge exception of subtle spell. You can reck things with subtle spell. And it only costs 1 sp. Shadow sorc is great for the dark vision.

Rogue will be constantly competing for bonus action with your tentacles.

Talsin
2019-10-15, 04:13 PM
... In addition to any general tips regarding this specific UA subclass, many Warlock guides I've looked at mention that it's fairly worthwhile to only do Warlock 14 and use the 6 levels for something else, but none of the guides are updated enough to include this subclass, and they also don't mention HOW to multiclass. What I mean is when to take levels in each particular class, whether to take all the levels in a row or intersperse them, that sort of thing.

Now, I don't know which of these guides are suggesting anything here, however, I would suggest going Sorc over Bard in this case. Given the competition for your bonus action, I think Sorc is going to get better mileage out of what you can do, not to mention the ability to shift things around with your sorcery points.

Goldlizard
2019-10-15, 05:25 PM
if you go to a higher level, wait until you get A. Evard's Black tentacles or B. Sickening radiance. these are two of the best spells possible, and unless it's a short-term build i highly recommend
as for your question, pact of the tome synergies well, as does pact of the chain, and would suggest levels in sorc for blasting potential

rbstr
2019-10-15, 05:56 PM
If you go all the way to 11th level before MCing you get Synaptic Static which is also very good.
And another spell slot for a 50% increase in casting.
I'm not convinced by arguments that you should just MC bar/sorc instead of warlock unless you've got a real purpose to it. There's good stuff in higher-level warlock too.

While I envision it as mostly a blaster/controller I think you can do a decent blade pact with it too. The tentacle is a general purpose useful bonus action and, at level 6 can help you tank a hit. Level 10 is really neat with the possible restrain.
In that case you may want to start with one level in fighter if you want heavy armor and con save proficiency and then go up in warlock until you feel like you want action surge and the sublcass. You're not really any more MAD than a Paladin this way.