PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Tempest Cleric + Gauntlets of Ogre Power

RingoBongo
2019-10-13, 12:39 AM
Question 1: Is it likely to "happen upon" this uncommon item in the average campaign?

Question 2: How would you build a Tempest Cleric around this magic item? (I have put together my own idea already, but just looking for some fresh perspectives)

strangebloke
2019-10-13, 12:43 AM
1) it's not the most uncommon item. It could happen.

2) don't build around an item. If you have it, you are still honestly better off focusing on your roll as a caster and occasionally smacking people with your pointy stick

Lyracian
2019-10-13, 09:47 AM
It seems to be found in many of the published adventures. It will depend if you are playing AL or even using those.

I would not really make much difference to my build. You have cantrips and/or weapon attacks depending on level and abilities.

For example Level 5-7 sacred flame is 2d8; Toll May be more. Then at level 8 Divine Strike boosts your melee damage and you switch back to hitting stuff.

Just want to get Warcaster at some point

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-10-13, 10:00 AM
1) depends on the DM and table.

2) I will make him BB focus build with PAM+War caster.

RingoBongo
2019-10-13, 01:00 PM
2) I will make him BB focus build with PAM+War caster.

I thought something similar. But after reading http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?599433-What-is-the-role-of-a-tempest-cleric I felt like 3 feats dedicated to bringing the melee aspect online is too much. Especially when casting as a cleric and for this type of cleric is also a very powerful move that should be considered as another build design goal to balance in conjunction with the melee fighting approach.

First off, you need spell sniper to get booming blade off with a polearm. https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/120785/is-booming-blades-range-relevant-without-a-reach-weapon

Additionally, PAM feat is only half way useful as the first part (bonus action attack with other end) won't work when using booming blade because its a spell attack, not a regular attack action.

In a similar way, war caster is also only 2/3 useful as a benefit of using a polearm is that you can freely take one hand off the weapon to cast a spell.

Laserlight
2019-10-13, 02:04 PM
Question 1: Is it likely to "happen upon" this uncommon item in the average campaign?

Question 2: How would you build a Tempest Cleric around this magic item? (I have put together my own idea already, but just looking for some fresh perspectives)

1. You're probably not playing in "the average campaign", you're in Your DM's campaign, so ask her. In my campaigns, it's highly unlikely that you'd see them; you should certainly not plan on it.

2. I wouldn't. Tempest is a caster who wants to be close to the enemy--that's caster, not melee weapon attacker. The Gauntlets would bump your STR enough to let you wear Full Plate instead of Half Plate; that's pretty much the main thing I'd want them for.

RingoBongo
2019-10-13, 04:29 PM
...well here's my idea:

Starting ability scores (with v human)

Str8, dex14, con(14, 15, or 16), int(12 or 10), wis16, cha(10 or 8)

Feats: alert, war caster, spell sniper (booming blade).... This takes me to lvl 8 where hopefully one would have some information on possible strength magic item (belt of giant strength or gauntlets of ogre power).... After which feat options are: PAM, +2 wis, resilient con, +2 wis

So basically would be starting with s&b -- rapier. At levels ~7-12 I decide on the rest of the build. Potentially, keeping it that way with not great to hit melee atk bonus and only minimal investment towards a PAM, war caster, booming blade build with taking spell sniper at 8.

EDIT: why alert feat?
with poor to hit on attacks, I can make sure to go first-ish and get concentration spells up fast (bless, spirit guardian, etc).

So it's a mix of wishful thinking and a doable back up plan.

What do you think?

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-10-13, 05:46 PM
I thought something similar. But after reading http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?599433-What-is-the-role-of-a-tempest-cleric I felt like 3 feats dedicated to bringing the melee aspect online is too much. Especially when casting as a cleric and for this type of cleric is also a very powerful move that should be considered as another build design goal to balance in conjunction with the melee fighting approach.

First off, you need spell sniper to get booming blade off with a polearm. https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/120785/is-booming-blades-range-relevant-without-a-reach-weapon

Additionally, PAM feat is only half way useful as the first part (bonus action attack with other end) won't work when using booming blade because its a spell attack, not a regular attack action.

In a similar way, war caster is also only 2/3 useful as a benefit of using a polearm is that you can freely take one hand off the weapon to cast a spell.

The thing is you use PAM for the OA it gives, not the BA, as a cleric you have stuff to do with the bonus action (spiritual weapon and healing word comes to my mind).
War caster let you use this OA for BB.
To tell the truth, I only take WC for the OA spell, the advantage is nice but it is like a 3.3 bonus, resilient con is better and the somatic components stuff is nice to have but you can work around it.

Spell sniper is still a nice feat to have on a caster.
Sentinel will also work but not as good as it makes the target movement speed to zero.

The fact that your cleric have combat feats doesn't make him less a caster.

RingoBongo
2019-10-13, 07:43 PM
The fact that your cleric have combat feats doesn't make him less a caster.

Yeah I was flipping and flopping about over this... I had it one way where I was going to take spell sniper only and resilient con instead of war caster. But I ultimately came to the same conclusion as you here. (See build above)