PDA

View Full Version : Player Help waterdeep or curse of stradt

Aurich
2019-10-13, 04:18 AM
I have the opportunity to participate in an Adventure leageu game.

There are 2 groups available.

One does Curse of Stradt, the other does Waterdeep.

I participated in one session for curse of stradt, but somehow got stressed. I think it's part of the high risk environment, and a sense of being pushed on the defensive.

so now i was wondering if waterdeep is comapred to stradt, more relaxed. wondering if that one would be more of my preffered type of game.

But I don't want to go read spoilers for it. Can someone who played those modules help me with a comparison?

Thanks.

Eldariel
2019-10-13, 05:44 AM
Without really spoiling anything, I think I can say that Curse of Strahd has some semblances of the horror genre and it's very much so "think on your feet" while Waterdeep is more about city-dwelling and kinda building up and interaction of city guilds and such. So...take your pick.

Safety Sword
2019-10-13, 06:15 AM
If you want a relaxed experience, Curse of Strahd is probably not going to be suitable. As you say, it has pressures and honestly, nothing is supposed to go right for you in Barovia :smallamused:

Waterdeep: Dragon Heist didn't really capture my imagination the way some other campaigns did. Maybe you'll like it though? If you like politics and intrigue it's probably your thing.

I have only played in Curse of Strahd and DM'd Dragon Heist though, so maybe there's something to that.

TheTeaMustFlow
2019-10-13, 06:19 AM
Anecdotal, but having played Curse of Strahd I really didn't like it. There's a lot of randomised elements in the plot (as in, there are certain "plot facts" which the DM is supposed to essentially roll for), which a: can massively vary the difficulty of the adventure and b: cause certain developments to happen in a very arbitrary manner which doesn't make much sense when you think about it. And dnd (particularly 5e) is not a very good system for horror anyway.

So, having not played Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, I'd recommend it over Curse of Strahd.