PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Specific item making vampire a day walker?

Tindragon
2019-10-13, 11:44 AM
So, there's a drow item (artifact) that says "In addition, the cloak negates any weakness to light that you might have."

So, put it on a Vampire, and Vampire can day walk?

"Vampire Weaknesses
Exposing any vampire to direct sunlight disorients it: It can take only a single move action or attack action and is destroyed utterly in the next round if it cannot escape...."

Crichton
2019-10-13, 12:01 PM
RAI?
Who knows? Maybe?

RAW?

Well, they did say 'any weakness' and the vampire's problem with sunlight is in a heading also called 'weaknesses' so those terms line up.
Additionally 'direct sunlight' is a subset of 'light' so it would definitely fall under the category of 'any weakness to light' both by common language and rules-specific terms.
RAW is a definite Yes, then.

Still gonna have pretty serious inconveniences in the form of garlic-scented rooms, mirrors, holy symbols, running water, private homes, and wooden stakes, but at least you're no longer stuck only operating at night and on very cloudy days.

Jowgen
2019-10-13, 01:15 PM
Yes, but the 1st level Drow domain spell "Cloak of Dark Power" does the same thing, i.e. "protected from the effects of full sunlight".

pabelfly
2019-10-13, 02:17 PM
Yes, but the 1st level Drow domain spell "Cloak of Dark Power" does the same thing, i.e. "protected from the effects of full sunlight".

The item has a far better duration outside of adding some heavy investment through metamagic though.

Tindragon
2019-10-14, 10:26 AM

/facepalm

Hadn't seen that one.

Every arcane vampire, or vamp with UMD, gonna be getting wands. lol.

Crichton
2019-10-14, 10:33 AM
The item has a far better duration outside of adding some heavy investment through metamagic though.

/facepalm

Hadn't seen that one.

Every arcane vampire, or vamp with UMD, gonna be getting wands. lol.

Indeed. Wands are the better option, by far, given that they're very cheap, and the cloak is an Artifact with epic (21) caster level effects, so most players don't really have ready access to it (unless the DM feels veeeeeerrrry generous)

Thurbane
2019-10-15, 04:42 AM
Would Fog Cloud or similar block the effects of sunlight on a vampire?

Crichton
2019-10-15, 09:52 AM
Would Fog Cloud or similar block the effects of sunlight on a vampire?

RAW it doesn't say it blocks or protects from sunlight, just that it obscures vision, but I think it's absolutely fair to rule that being in the area of effect of Fog Cloud also counts as not being in 'direct sunlight' (as the vampire entry specifiies)

Telonius
2019-10-15, 10:29 AM
Just for completeness, Libris Mortis has Liquid Night (basically vampire sunscreen) as an alchemical item. 1 hour a dose, and it's fairly expensive (150gp).

Crichton
2019-10-15, 10:38 AM
Just for completeness, Libris Mortis has Liquid Night (basically vampire sunscreen) as an alchemical item. 1 hour a dose, and it's fairly expensive (150gp).

That's actually far cheaper than a wand of Cloak of Dark Power. It's only a 1 minute/level spell, so it's 15gp per minute of protection, when purchased in wand form (you could buy a higher CL wand of it, for more than 1 minute per casting, but it will still cost 15gp per minute of protection, overall)

Evil DM Mark3
2019-10-15, 10:49 AM
So, there's a drow item (artifact) that says "In addition, the cloak negates any weakness to light that you might have."
My added emphasis.

Yes. At least that is my attitude as a DM, you see I tend to interpret high end magic more broadly and generously, so as to help it retain a sense of weight and power. This is an artefact, the sort of thing about which entire module sets are written. Any vampire running around in one is enough of a threat that, frankly, I would want to avoid death by ill-timed curtain twitch if only for the threat curve of my game.
Just for completeness, Libris Mortis has Liquid Night (basically vampire sunscreen) as an alchemical item. 1 hour a dose, and it's fairly expensive (150gp).Heh, I remember that, although to be fair I far prefer the idea of Bloodwine...

Elkad
2019-10-15, 01:03 PM
Artifact.
Thus, I'm going to let it work on anything sun related. Right up to the radiation from a supernova. Won't save you from the atmosphere burning away of course.

Thurbane
2019-10-15, 02:29 PM
RAW it doesn't say it blocks or protects from sunlight, just that it obscures vision, but I think it's absolutely fair to rule that being in the area of effect of Fog Cloud also counts as not being in 'direct sunlight' (as the vampire entry specifiies)

If Fog Cloud was ruled to work, then there's the Smoking weapon quality (Lords of Darkness), that fills your square with smoke. It's a +1 ability and can be "always on", so a vamp could grab a +1 Smoking Gauntlet, and never fear the sun again. :smalltongue:

All a bit iffy by RAW, though, especially since Smoking only fills a single square, rather than the larger area of a Fog Cloud.

Efrate
2019-10-15, 02:52 PM
Wasn't there a vampire lord somewhere that eliminates all but the sun weakness? Might have been pathfinder. Give that protection and you have a great final villian. Savage vampire also changes some of the other weaknesses, I think that's dragon magazine though.

Telonius
2019-10-15, 03:33 PM
Wasn't there a vampire lord somewhere that eliminates all but the sun weakness? Might have been pathfinder. Give that protection and you have a great final villian. Savage vampire also changes some of the other weaknesses, I think that's dragon magazine though.

Wizards archive; link here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20021018a). It does make an excellent BBEG.

Thurbane
2019-10-15, 04:29 PM
The Lifedrinker PrC (BoVD) also removes sunlight weakness for vamps, but only for a short time after they drain a victim. It's not a great PrC to be honest.

One Step Two
2019-10-15, 06:59 PM
Cloak of dark power attached to a permanent magic item, like the Cloak slot would only cost 4000gp, not a bad investment all things told.

Crichton
2019-10-15, 07:31 PM
Cloak of dark power attached to a permanent magic item, like the Cloak slot would only cost 4000gp, not a bad investment all things told.

Agreed, that'd be the cheapest, most convenient way to get full-time sunlight protection. Every vampire anywhere should have one!