PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Cleric Domain

mabriss lethe
2007-10-16, 11:17 PM
Does anyone know if any of the published material has a Shadow Cleric Domain?

If not, I'm sure I could cobble something together as a homebrew.

RTGoodman
2007-10-16, 11:41 PM
The closest thing I can find is the alternate Darkness domain - I'm not sure where it's originally from, but RealmsHelp has it here (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/domain.pl?Darkness(2)).

If that's not what you're looking for, you could see about converting some shadowcaster mysteries (from Tome of Magic) into divine spells. I don't know what would be a good granted power for that, though.

mabriss lethe
2007-10-16, 11:49 PM
Not bad, but not quite what I'm looking for.

I've got a half ironed out version of a Shadow domain, but I might want to flip some bits around. ( for the first draft I ripped a lot of the shadow spells from the sorc/wiz list for domain spells.) as for a domain power, I'm thinking +1 to caster level when casting any spell with the shadow descriptor or a Shadowdancer's Hide in Plain sight ability.

Nonah_Me
2007-10-16, 11:54 PM
What I would do is this for a shadow power:

Granted power: 1/day grant + 1/2 level to hide checks (min 1); at 7th Cleric level gain Hide in plain sight when using this ability.

Maybe overpowered, maybe not. I have no idea what to use for domain spells.

RTGoodman
2007-10-17, 12:04 AM
Well, Hide in Plain Sight is too good of an ability for someone to have access to from 1st level. However, Nonah_Me's granted power looks pretty good.

Here's a Shadow Domain I came up with just ripping shadowcaster mysteries from Tome of Magic. Basically, you'd just say that the mysteries are treated as divine spells, and that any saves are based on your Wisdom score:

Shadow Domain Spells:
1 Dusk and Dawn: Create an area of shadowy illumination.
2 Piercing Sight: Gain darkvision 60 ft. and see invisible creatures.
3 Afraid of the Dark: Create a shadowy reflection of the subject that deals ability damage.
4 Step into Shadow: Short-range travel through shadow.
5 Curtain of Shadows: Blocks line of sight and deals cold damage.
6 Shadow Investiture: Grant subject cold resistance 15, evasion,a nd ability to see in darkness.
7 Ephemeral Image: Create a shadow duplicate through which you can cast your magic.
8 Umbral Body: Transform into an incorporeal being of shadow.
9 Army of Shadow: Summon shadow elementals to serve you.

The VP
2007-10-17, 12:51 AM
The Scarred Lands setting released under White Wolf's Sword and Sorcery label has a Shadow domain. I don't remember whether or not it's open content, so I'll not post it here, but a Google search may find it for you. I've also found the following two homebrewed Shadow domains, to give you something to which to compare yours:

Source: http://www.woldiangames.com/cathedral/gargul.htm
Domain Granted Powers -- The cleric gains both low-light vision and darksight.
Spells:
1. See Invisible
2. Shadow Conjuration
3. Blink
4. Ethereal Jaunt
5. Leomund's Secret Chest
6. Etherealness
7. Shades
8. Shadow Walk
9. Maze

Source: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=9125
Granted Power: Darkvision, you may also see normally even in magical darkness
Spells:
0 – Dark (Same as light, but masks one torched size light source)
1 – Unseen Servant
2 – Darkness
3 – Negative Plane Protection or Blacklight from Forgotten Realms Guide
4 – Shadow Conjuration
5 – Greater Shadow Conjuration
6 – Shades
7 – Shadow Walk
8 – Shadow Aura (Similar to Holy/Unholy Aura)
9 – Energy Drain or Weird

Curmudgeon
2007-10-18, 05:15 AM
The Shadow domain is on page 108 of Eberron Campaign Setting. It's all spells from the PH, and 6 of the 9 spells aren't on the regular Cleric spell list.

Belkarseviltwin
2007-10-18, 10:27 AM
The Shadow domain is on page 108 of Eberron Campaign Setting. It's all spells from the PH, and 6 of the 9 spells aren't on the regular Cleric spell list.

Exactly. It's not in the Spell Compendium, which is the first source for that sort of thing, but it is in the Crystal Keep list of domains. The granted power is Blindfight, and it has some quite good spells, including the entire Shadow Conjuration/Evocation line at the same level as the arcane versions.

Edit: VP, your versions are hugely broken. Shades is a 9th-level spell that allows you to duplicate 8th-level spells that are 80% effective even if disbelieved. That means you can use Trap the Soul, Incendiary Cloud, Greater Planar Binding or summon Vrocks, Celestial Dire Bears and Fiendish T-rexes as a 6th-level Cleric spell.

mabriss lethe
2007-10-18, 02:46 PM
Thanks Curmudgeon. That's EXACTLY what I was looking for *and very close to what I've come up with on my own. appreciations and all that.

Chronos
2007-10-18, 05:30 PM
Edit: VP, your versions are hugely broken. Shades is a 9th-level spell that allows you to duplicate 8th-level spells that are 80% effective even if disbelieved. That means you can use Trap the Soul, Incendiary Cloud, Greater Planar Binding or summon Vrocks, Celestial Dire Bears and Fiendish T-rexes as a 6th-level Cleric spell.You can't use Shades (or any other Shadow Conjuration spell) for Planar Binding. The shadow conjuration spells only let you duplicate the summoning and creation subschools, and Planar Binding is calling, not summoning.

I hadn't noticed before that Trap the Soul is a valid Shades spell, though... I wonder how that interacts with the material component? Shades doesn't have a material component, but it's hard to see how Trap the Soul works without the gem to trap the soul in.