PDA

View Full Version : Magic initiate and martial adept

Trandir
2019-10-13, 04:01 PM
Well these two feats (at least for me) feels similar in concept but one is great and the other fails.

Magic initiate provides half of the spellcasting of a sorcerer (2 cantrip 1 spell known and 1 "spell slot") but you can choose any class for it. It is also pretty nice to have those utility cantrips and that one really good spell once per day for a non spellcaster class.

Martial adept provides 2 known maneuvers and 1, reduced, superiority die. This is rather underwelming.

It's just my impression or martial adept is quite weak when compared to most other feats?
If yes would you improve it in any way?

stoutstien
2019-10-13, 04:09 PM
Well these two feats (at least for me) feels similar in concept but one is great and the other fails.

Magic initiate provides half of the spellcasting of a sorcerer (2 cantrip 1 spell known and 1 "spell slot") but you can choose any class for it. It is also pretty nice to have those utility cantrips and that one really good spell once per day for a non spellcaster class.

Martial adept provides 2 known maneuvers and 1, reduced, superiority die. This is rather underwelming.

It's just my impression or martial adept is quite weak when compared to most other feats?

Not only is it a weaker feat, they actually ettra it to be even worse for the one case it was an ok pick by not allowing battle masters to upgrade it alone their core dice pool.

I ended up just removing it altogether because we play with a fighter with superiority dice as part of the base class.

Before that we turned it into a half feat and allowed 2 dice for the feat.

Zhorn
2019-10-13, 06:33 PM

At our table, we've ruled it to be a stacking feat, so it can be taken multiple times.
Also, first time taking it was changed to 2 dice and 2 maneuvers (subsequent applications are 1 dice and 1 maneuver, otherwise it starts stealing the Battle Master's identity).
Finally the errata on the dice size is ignored, if a class gets Superiority Dice, Martial Adepts dice are added to the pool and scale in size with them.

As a short rest recharge, just giving it that one extra dice at baseline it enough to make it feel worth while.

Dork_Forge
2019-10-14, 01:23 AM
Especially after teh (unnecessary) errata Martial Adept doesn't really feel worth while unless you're being given free feats/are a high level SAD Fighter. I would just remove the errata so it stacked with the Battlemaster's existing Superiority die and up it to two dice. You want to balance the feat being worth while whilst not stepping too much on the Battlemaster's schtick.

Especially with making it two dice, I think the feat works well on a Samurai build, or even an Eldritch Knight (you can theme it to be another magical ability). It brings back more short rest recharge to long rest subclasses.