PDA

View Full Version : the Crescent knife. what, when, where, and how?

Rockbeard
2019-10-13, 07:10 PM
Okay so i have come across this nice little knife here "crescent knife" and basically i just have questions about it. and would like to get peoples opinions on the matter and or ideas on well not class or feat builds for the weapon but how would you build this weapon for a character such as Enchantments, mats used to build it, assorted fun things like serrated and so forth.

Exotic
1d3 x2 slashing
gives extra attacks

But my first and over all question is. Is this a Light weapon. its doesn't state if it is or not. it just says its a Small weapon. from what i gather.
i would like to assume it is a light weapon as most builds i see have it being used in two weapon fighting but with out the oversize weapon fighting feat.
source is Dragon magazine #275
here is a link to the section of the mag its in. https://www.yumpu.com/xx/document/view/12481335/dragon-magazine-275pdf

thank you all for you time in this matter in advance.

Crichton
2019-10-13, 07:21 PM
Whether it's a Light weapon is, sadly undefined, though it should be added to any discussion that two issues later, in Dragon #277 (pg 120) they errata'd the Crescent Knife, saying it "should have an additional phrase added to the last sentence, making it read as so: "Each attack is resolved separately, but only half the applicable Strength bonus to damage is applied to any hit."

Whether that's similar enough to the Light weapon's entry of "Add the wielder’s Strength bonus (if any) to damage rolls for melee attacks with a light weapon if it’s used in the primary hand, or one-half the wielder’s Strength bonus if it’s used in the off hand" is between you and your DM.

Aside from that, the Crescent Knife is a lovely little tool, and don't let anyone say otherwise. It's the Rogue's best friend in a ruleset where the Rogue struggles to keep up in combat, and the Sneak Attack applications abound.

Rockbeard
2019-10-13, 07:31 PM
Whether it's a Light weapon is, sadly undefined, though it should be added to any discussion that two issues later, in Dragon #277 (pg 120) they errata'd the Crescent Knife, saying it "should have an additional phrase added to the last sentence, making it read as so: "Each attack is resolved separately, but only half the applicable Strength bonus to damage is applied to any hit."

strange i thought it was a given that it was resolved separately. but i guess people needed a clarification lol. as for that strength part that i did not know about. Thank you for that tid bit.

Thurbane
2019-10-13, 10:20 PM
I'm guessing it's 3.0 material - In 3.0 "small" (and "tiny") essentially means the same as what "light" means in 3.5.

For example, in 3.0 sickles and short swords were designated as "small", and a dagger was "tiny".

Saintheart
2019-10-14, 01:25 AM
It is indeed 3.0 material, and early 3.0 at that. Crescent Blade appears in one of the first Dragon magazines when 3.0 was first being rolled out, i.e. somewhere in the middle of all the "Check out how cool this new system we've made is" promotional articles. Hence why they had to nerf it two issues later :smallbiggrin: