PDA

View Full Version : Amusing confusion in a description of a room

Duff
2019-10-13, 09:54 PM
The DM was running a printed module (can't remember which one).
We entered a room which had "three foot stools" in it.

Were they:

stools with 3 legs, (size and number unspecified?
Bar-type stools, 3 feet in height, number of legs and number of stools unspecified
3 "Foot type" stools, height to be used as a hint to height of the residents, leg number for stools not specified
Or (horror of horrors and influenced by the fact my wife and I worked in aged care at the time), did the floor contain stool samples, each approximately 3' in length and able to be analysed for size and dietary information of the residents

NNescio
2019-10-13, 10:44 PM

Three "footstools". ("foot stool" is also a legitimate spelling.) Which may just be a footrest without any legs.

Were they:

That would be "three-footed stool".

Bar-type stools, 3 feet in height, number of legs and number of stools unspecified

That would be "three-foot stools".

Or (horror of horrors and influenced by the fact my wife and I worked in aged care at the time), did the floor contain stool samples, each approximately 3' in length and able to be analysed for size and dietary information of the residents

That would also be "three-foot stools", but most people wouldn't read it that way.

Kraynic
2019-10-13, 10:46 PM
Was this an old module? I expect footstools are becoming an endangered piece of furniture. A footstool is a low stool used to rest your feet on when sitting down on something else, so they are fairly short. Unless you were in a place with inhabitants larger than human size. Then I suppose they could be whatever height made sense for a footrest for that race.

Lord Haart
2019-10-14, 03:56 AM
Three 3ft three-foot foot stools for three three-footed Animated 3ft stool samples?

Incorrect
2019-10-14, 03:57 AM
A while back we had a similar situation, where the danish words for Cages, Arches and Bows, are very similar.

The GM did not help one bit when he drew them as:
)

Kaptin Keen
2019-10-14, 04:41 AM
A while back we had a similar situation, where the danish words for Cages, Arches and Bows, are very similar.

)

Well - at least it would rule out cages, I guess.

So, what was it, anyways? Weapon, architecture or prison?

Incorrect
2019-10-14, 06:24 AM
Well - at least it would rule out cages, I guess.

So, what was it, anyways? Weapon, architecture or prison?

Haha, exactly. It was cages! :smalltongue:

Kaptin Keen
2019-10-14, 07:56 AM

Ah yes - ideal. He couldn't have made like a # =)

No brains
2019-10-14, 08:18 AM

Were they:

3 "Foot type" stools, height to be used as a hint to height of the residents, leg number for stools not specified

There are three stools that can be animated as disposable soldiers. Foot soldier stools.:smalltongue:

)

If you're fighting Nicholas Cage with a longbow in a dungeon, it could be 4 meanings at once. :smalltongue:

NNescio
2019-10-14, 08:28 AM

)

(As a roguelike player I couldn't help defaulting to bows. The shooty kind.)

Well, at least you didn't accidentally order 1000 2575 liters of milk. :smalltongue: