PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Need help Roleplaying

GrottoSteelKlaw
2019-10-14, 05:28 AM
I've been looking around for help on how to speak more in my current game of D&D 5e since it seems like just two players are basically in a party of 7 or 6; seem to be the only ones roleplaying and making plans and playing a character.

Anyone know what to do? I feel like this has been a problem since I first started gaming. :smallconfused:

Also wasn't there a Thread on 100 or something reasons to go adventuring? That might help in giving me more stake in the world than just "revenge over a stolen painting is the reason I went adventuring, to become the best thief."

BWR
2019-10-14, 05:44 AM
6-7 is a lot of players IME, but if only two bother to do anything, that's not really an issue outside of combat.
But we need a little more information before giving useful advice. What system? What setting? What's the GM like? What sort of games are run? What does the rest of the group like to do?

More general questions:
Do you have a hard time making characters?
I don't mean anything related to game mechanics, but making a personality based in the setting and determining how this personality reacts to the game world. Because this is the core of roleplaying.

Do you have a hard time speaking up?
Some people I've known just keep their mouths shut unless thrust into the spotlight, and then manage quite well. Some people are just naturally shy or reserved in groups.

Do you have a hard time formulating responses that sound cool or explaining in detail what you say or do?
Don't worry, that's what game mechanics are for. As long as you can convey a general idea of what you are going for, most games have mechanics that should take care of the details.

Do you feel overshadowed or drowned out by other players?
Some people just naturally take charge and talk a lot (and often loudly) and don't quite realize that they are dominating the conversation. A quiet word to these people, perhaps through the GM, may help.

MoiMagnus
2019-10-14, 06:07 AM
Roleplaying is not a "all-or-nothing". Don't feel forced to jump from the "nothing" to the "all"

Saying "Good evening, humble merchant, would you happen to have some potions of healing, or anything that could help me and my brave friends to handle our wounds after encountering a dire monster?" is one kind of roleplaying, but not the only one (and probably not the one I would advise in this particular situation, since such over-the-top roleplaying for mundane talks can significantly slow down the game).

Saying "I ask to the merchant what kind of healing potion he has." is also roleplaying: you are making decision for your character, and communicate them in some way to the other players and DMs. This is the core of roleplaying.

The first step for roleplaying is to have an idea of what your character want. Why is he risking his life? Do he just like his group of friend so much he would die for them? Is he in for the money? Is it a question of honor / doing the right thing / repaying a debt? ...
Since you mentioned there are two players quite active with their character, you should try to position yourself compared to them: are you best friends? peoples who strongly disagree with each others, but cooperate because you have a common goal? ...

Ah, and do not forgot the most important bit: roleplaying a character does not give you the right to be annoying/frustrating for the other players.

Kardwill
2019-10-14, 06:14 AM
The number of players may be an issue. With 6-7 players, it can be difficult to get some space to actually play your character (as a player) or to pay attention and engage everyone (as a GM), and you can end up with the more extravert, proactive players monopolizing attention.

At least, it's my personal experience : With 3-4 players I can get everybody in the spotlight, even the shy ones, by regularly asking them questions or sending plot and interactions their way. But with 5 players, they have to fend for themselves. That goes double with a technical game (like D&D), where my attention is already taken by the game itself.

Kesnit
2019-10-14, 08:41 AM
I had this problem recently with my group. (4-6 players). The DM had been running the game for a while, but because of turnover, only 1 player was really familiar with the setting. So he ran roughshod over the other players, directing what the group would do and where we would go. (He knew all the NPC, so knew where to go to get plot hooks. Plus he had some plot hooks that had been hanging out that had never been dealt with - because no one else knew they existed.)

Anyone know what to do? I feel like this has been a problem since I first started gaming. :smallconfused:

I'm normally a talkative player, but because my character is a Tieflind with a CHA of 6, I didn't think it was appropriate for my PC to get into the RP. As we had several sessions of nothing but RP, I was getting really bored and frustrated.

It was finally pointed out to me that I am not my character. Even if my PC has a CHA of 6, there is nothing stopping me personally from actually speaking up.

Is the issue that 2 players are directing the actions of the group? If so, talk to the DM away from game and point this out. Ask the DM to throw hooks at other players, or find a way to get the overbearing players out of the comfort zone where they can no longer herd everyone else along.

That might help in giving me more stake in the world than just "revenge over a stolen painting is the reason I went adventuring, to become the best thief."

More general questions:
Do you have a hard time making characters?
I don't mean anything related to game mechanics, but making a personality based in the setting and determining how this personality reacts to the game world. Because this is the core of roleplaying.

Determine who your PC is. There is a list in the Play-By-Post forum of questions to answer when developing your PC. Read over them and figure out who your PC is. Once you do that, it will be easier to play that person.

Do you have a hard time speaking up?
Some people I've known just keep their mouths shut unless thrust into the spotlight, and then manage quite well. Some people are just naturally shy or reserved in groups.

This is very true, and can be hard to overcome. The best advice I can give is actively watch for times when you can jump in, even if it just a sentence or two.

Do you have a hard time formulating responses that sound cool or explaining in detail what you say or do?
Don't worry, that's what game mechanics are for. As long as you can convey a general idea of what you are going for, most games have mechanics that should take care of the details.

This.

CombatBunny
2019-10-14, 09:22 AM
I'm normally a talkative player, but because my character is a Tieflind with a CHA of 6, I didn't think it was appropriate for my PC to get into the RP. As we had several sessions of nothing but RP, I was getting really bored and frustrated.

It was finally pointed out to me that I am not my character. Even if my PC has a CHA of 6, there is nothing stopping me personally from actually speaking up.

That's right. There can be a lot of roleplaying even with quiet or shy characters. Describing what a shy character does is already a lot of roleplaying:

"My character squeezes her napkin under the table because she feels uncomfortable with what Y character is saying. My character steps back an tries to hide behind a column, she pulls Z character from the cloak to invite her to hide as well as she appreciates her very much. etc."

Zhorn
2019-10-14, 09:47 AM
I'm very much from the "always be doing something" school of roleplaying. Like others have already said, you don't need to dive all in from being a quiet player to commanding the attention of the entire table in every scene, but making you character have an active presence in each scene is as simple as putting in a couple of seconds to declare your character doing a thing.
The super special secret part? It doesn't have to have an important goal at the time. It can be useless, leads-nowhere, idle work. BUT it helps establish your character in a scene and give other players a spring board to launch from to get other quiet players moving and engaged. It's also great for DMs looking for areas to drop in story and adventure hooks.

My last character, my go-to scene filler was sourcing my spell reagents. I didn't need to, I have a components pouch AND and arcane focus.
Walking around the outskirts of town looking for a particular rock.
Checking trees to see if any were acacias with an exposed leak of sap.
While in the cave, scooping up some gunk off the floor that might have been bat droppings.

When in social settings, where I'd let the sorcerer do all the story critical talking as the face, I'd take my 5 charisma character and make it known at the table I was making awkward small talk with the serving staff, hyping up the party's barbarian as a competitive body builder, or some other nonsense.

The rogue doing some lockpicking to get into the mayors office, I'm out front with a bag of ball bearings and the light and mage hand cantrips putting on a terrible magic show.

Pick a few minor details about your character that are not relevant to the main story of your personal quest. Weave those in any time you're not doing something vital.
"While we're in the bar, I'm goign to write a letter back to my family telling them about this dog I saw the other day, and it had me wondering if uncle Jeb ever did manage to train a successful sheep dog".

Tawmis
2019-10-15, 08:10 AM
While not required, something that might also help "step into your character" is having a background (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?591882-Need-a-character-background-written-up) written up about your character. That helps develop their personality in your head, and gives them a story to perhaps work off of.

Zhorn
2019-10-15, 09:24 AM
@Tawmis, HAH! I love how subtle that spruik is :smallwink:

dragoeniex
2019-10-15, 12:10 PM
For general character-building, one of the most important parts to me is figuring out what family means to the character. What was their home life like, what kind of relationships did they have there, and were there more positive or negative impacts? The answers don't have to be grand and detailed.

I could say one character was raised in a family of renowned bodyguards and was taught you never outlive your charge; you're either skilled enough to keep the both of you alive, or you go down defending them. This person now deeply cares about the well-being of others but shows it in a militant fashion, and this person is prone to low self-esteem or survivor's guilt when rescues don't turn out perfectly.

Or I could say a character grew up with 5 siblings and both parents in a small, country home. They like crowded places and love good food and stories by the fireplace, and empty or quiet spaces unsettle them.

Getting an idea for what your character's idea of "normal" is can be a quick, helpful thing.

For roleplaying, a quick way to build rapport with players and characters is to start bouncing off of or reacting to what they do. That sounds pretty self-explanatory, I know, but focusing on it turns you into an active listener with lots of moments to work off of.

If a character near mine stands and makes a sweeping, dramatic arm gesture, I might describe my character getting whacked in the face as they're going to offer their pal a drink. Or mention going around to tidy up after a group celebration.

Verbalizing doubt or agreement is also a solid start. Get excited over someone else's plan! Or see if you can think of a tactical suggestion to add, if you like strategy. Or, if your character is leary of something, express it.

"It's alright, Frederick- we've got all our preparations in order and a working plan. We'll be alright!"

"Will we? Are you sure?"

-- Moments like this are little invites for the other person to expand on what they said, and they show your character second-guessing things. They show what situations really bother your PC, and they do it quickly.

Good luck; I hope some of this is helpful!

Tawmis
2019-10-17, 03:49 PM
@Tawmis, HAH! I love how subtle that spruik is :smallwink:

I am the master of subtly ... :smallsmile:

Draconi Redfir
2019-10-17, 03:54 PM
if it's a case of those other two players always talking over or interrupting you / other players, i'd recommend trying to implement a system of holding up a sign or something when you want a chance to roleplay. When someone is holding up a sign and talking, nobody else talks until they put the sign down. If person A is talking but person B raises their sign, then they wait for A to finish talking before B picks up.

would require a bit on an honor system so one person isn't just talking nonstop, and maybe something else for if your character wants to intentionally interrupt someone else's. but it's something to think of.

should probably try and implement this in my own group tbh. i'm one of those people who's easily talked-over and interrupted myself.