PDA

View Full Version : Crafting with Dragon Horn

OctoHex
2019-10-14, 08:46 AM
Hi all:

During our last encounter, our little troop of 5th level PCs happened along a Front Giant road block. Turned out, he liked music, and asked our bard to write a song about his exploits. He rolled a nat 19 on writing the song, but a nat 1 on performing it; so battle ensued.

The bard cast heat metal on the giant's axe, causing him to drop it; and our shadow monk casting darkness on his helmet. It was all over in 3 rounds, when the monk tripped him with his bo, and the giant dashed his head upon the rock where he'd recorded all of his deeds.

After searching, we got a bunch of loot. But the giant had also mounted the horns of a Black Dragon on his helmet. We took them horns.
However, I'm not quite sure what we'd do with them. I've read a couple ideas of crafting a bow out of them, or making one a quiver. Our ranged fighter might like those options.

Has anyone else got an idea of something cool we could do with a pair of Black Dragon horns?

Talsin
2019-10-14, 08:55 AM
Horn has been used in a lot of crafts over time. You might try a shield, bangles/bracelets, rings, weapon handles, parts of bows themselves are often made with horn. A valor bard of mine had a scabbard made out of one he acquired. Plus, you could even make instruments out of them!

You could even grind it into powder and snort it for that a variety of pharmaceutical effects!

Mud Puppy
2019-10-14, 12:53 PM
Since it was a black dragon, I would say...

If you make a wearable item (bracelet, ring, belt buckle, etc.) it should give a stealth bonus (black dragons are ambush predators), and/or Acid resistance. Adding a Swim speed would be great too, since Black dragons like to lair in watery areas.

If you make a quiver or a sheath, I would have it imbue the item stored with the ability to confer acid damage. I would do the same for a bow or another weapon (staff) made from a horn.

OctoHex
2019-10-15, 12:18 PM
I like the idea of acid damage for the quiver or staff. I'll propose that to the DM.

I'm after a way to allow my Paladin to be a little more stealthy, but I don't know if he'd go for this as an option. I'm already tanky and fast, thanks to plate armor & Find Steed.

Imbalance
2019-10-16, 08:20 AM
Hailing from the Keystone state, I assume you know about antler rattling. Well, see if it works the same for dragons.

[plagiarized]The simulated sound of two dragons fighting may attract another dragon. Some dragons literally charge to the mock battle; others take their sweet time moving in. Here are three tips to help you maximize rattling’s effectiveness:

(1)Check wind direction before setting up. A dragon's natural inclination is to approach the sound of fighting from downwind. A good spot to set up is at the edge of a field, with the wind at your back. Take precautions to minimize your scent.
(2)Start slowly and quietly. You don't want to spook any nearby dragons, so rattle horns lightly for only about 90 seconds. Wait five minutes, then repeat, but make the sound louder and longer (two minutes or so). Wait for a half hour before rattling again to give a cautious dragon time to move into range.
(3)Before rattling again, rake the ground or scrape the horns against a tree trunk. To give the impression of moving dragons, rotate your body as you begin rattling. Wait at least 30 minutes before moving.[/parody]

Talsin
2019-10-16, 08:36 AM
Hmm, I think the dangers of Rattling for Black Dragons may be a bit much off the bat.
Better practice with Horned Devils first.