PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Reality Revision Resurrection!

False God
2019-10-14, 01:22 PM
The three R's! (5 technically)

So, as far as I know there's no psionic resurrection (revivify yes, but nothing beyond that, please correct me if I'm wrong but that's not the question here), however, Reality Revision lets you duplicate regular Resurrection with two castings, with interesting distinctions:

The first casting "recreates the body" (presumably if it is destroyed or inaccessible).
-First question: Can I stop here? Obviously I need the second casting if I want to put Hypothetical Bob's spirit back in his body, but lets say I don't, lets say I just want the body.
-Second question: Is this body alive? Presumably it lacks a soul or any higher brain function until the second casting, but is it a living body?
(Aside: I would think creating "dead" bodies of specific individuals would be more shenanigansy than creating living ones, though I may be wrong.)

The second casting "infuses the body with life again".
-This may answer my first question, but Resurrection is particular since it infuses the body with specific life all in one go, in this case Hypothetical Bob.
-First Question: Does it need to be Hypothetical Bob that I infuse this body with? Can I put anyone's life in there? Can it be generic life (essentially a whole new person)?
-Second Question: Do these castings need to be back-to-back? (which goes back to "is the first body alive?") Can I wait a day? Can I wait a long time? (assuming the body is dead or I keep it sustained somehow)

Aside from the obvious "Ask your DM." which I intend to do next week, what are your thoughts?

ExLibrisMortis
2019-10-14, 02:05 PM
Reality revision lets you duplicate the resurrection spell (which requires a partial body), and it lets you create a body and infuse it with life, effectively emulating the true resurrection spell. Technically, the second function does not emulate a spell and has no limit on how recently a creature must have died to be eligible for resurrection, but it stands to reason that it is simply the first function plus the creation of the body, in which case it carries the same limit as resurrection and true resurrection, which is 10 years/CL. That is, "infuse with life" is simply a fluffy reference to "cast/emulate resurrection". Under that interpretation, the created body is not alive, but simply a target for (a power that emulates) resurrection.

Yes, I would let you stop after the first manifestation, and create the body only. In fact, if the deceased in question is not interested in returning to life, and the resurrection fails, you are stuck with that body, and you'll need to organize a funeral. If you are interrupted between castings, you can try again at any point in the future, noting that the 10 years/CL limit still applies.

I would let you infuse the body with "generic life", as well. Not as part of the "revive the dead" function, but just because it's a ninth-level power with a big XP cost and a special clause for doing anything at all, and you should be able to do funky things with it. The characteristics of this new life would be up to the DM, who should also be able to do some funky things with it, so beware :smallbiggrin:.

I would not let you revive someone else into that body. You could use mind switch and suchlike, if you first infuse it with life (such as generic life), but not resurrection.

omegaghost
2019-10-14, 03:16 PM
Reality revision
I would not let you revive someone else into that body. You could use mind switch and suchlike, if you first infuse it with life (such as generic life), but not resurrection.

Yeah, the person being revived knows exactly what's happening and who's doing it iirc. So the expected turn of events is that person refuses to be revived into a body he doesn't know by a person he doesn't know. But I'm sure there's nothing stopping the DM from ruling that the person being revived has some twisted sense of humor and accepts such a revival for the lulz.

False God
2019-10-14, 04:14 PM
Yeah, the person being revived knows exactly what's happening and who's doing it iirc. So the expected turn of events is that person refuses to be revived into a body he doesn't know by a person he doesn't know. But I'm sure there's nothing stopping the DM from ruling that the person being revived has some twisted sense of humor and accepts such a revival for the lulz.

Dead Friend: Hey Dead Jimmy, they're trying to res me! :smallannoyed:
Dead Jimmy: What no way that's awesome! :smallsmile:
Dead Friend: Yeah...but to be honest I kinda like doing nothing but drinking beer and fishing with you guys. :smallwink:
Dead Jimmy: Ah man I hear that...hey what about Bob? :smallamused:
Dead Bob: What about me? :smallconfused:
*Dead Friend pushes Dead Bob into resurrection light* :smalleek:
Living Party Members seeing Friend wake up: Wooo we did it! :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:
Dead Friend: Haha, Bob was such an ass. :smallcool:
No-longer-dead Bob in Friend's body: :smallfurious:

---
Ah man that'd be a great way to bring in a "new character".

Particle_Man
2019-10-15, 09:56 PM
Sounds like an evil DM would be perfectly happy to let you make a living body, just sitting there, waiting to be possessed by some fiend or undead spirit.

False God
2019-10-15, 10:33 PM
Sounds like an evil DM would be perfectly happy to let you make a living body, just sitting there, waiting to be possessed by some fiend or undead spirit.

If my DMs didn't do that I would be sorely disappointed. And honestly, that's a reasonable tradeoff for being able to "pause" the resurrection between creating the body and inserting a mind/soul/spirit. Sure, having a rando evil spirit jump in after one round might be a little rough, but if I left a perfectly healthy brand new body of a famous/powerful warrior just lying around, I can't really blame some clever spirit for jumping behind the wheel.