PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Guardian Protector: Combat Healer Barbarian (PEACH)

sandmote
2019-10-14, 03:57 PM
Path of the Guardian Protector

Spreading Perseverance
Starting at 3rd level, you gain a reserve of healing energy known as perseverance points, fueled by your desire to protect and patch up your allies. This reserve contains a number of perseverance points equal to your barbarian level.

You can reach out and touch a creature as an action, spending perseverance points to restore it's wounds and strengthen its resolve, or you can do this as a bonus action while raging. When you use your spreading perseverance, you can spend 1 perseverance point to heal the target 1d8 hit points or to replicate the effects of a spell. Replicating a spell in this manner requires a particular perseverance point cost, as well as having reached a particular barbarian level. As you do not actually cast a spell, you may replicate a spell while raging, although you must still provide any material components with a listed gp cost.

Perseverance Spells
Level Point Cost Spells
3rd 2 False Life
3rd 3 Protection From Poison
6th 3 Lesser Restoration
10th 5 Revivify
14th 7 Greater Restoration

You can use a single one of these effects, or use multiple at once, including stacking the effects with themselves (replicating spells that grant temporary hit points count as separate sources). If you choose to use multiple effects at once, you can't spend a number of perseverance points higher than your Constitution modifier with a single use of your spreading perseverance feature.

When you reduce an enemy to 0 hit points, score a critical hit, or a creature makes an opportunity attack targeting you, you gain one perseverance point, which is lost at the end of your turn (You DM can decide other sufficiently heroic acts also qualify, or that opportunity attacks from allies or creatures with a low CR do not grant such points). As you gain barbarian levels, the maximum number of such points you can gain in a round increases: you can store up to 2 points at 6th level, up to 3 at 10th, and up to 4 at 14th level. Additional perseverance points gained in this manner does not count against your maximum perseverance points spent as a use of your spreading perseverance feature, but can only be used on a creature other than yourself.

You also regain one perseverance point whenever you spend a hit die (to a maximum of your level), and regain all your perseverance points at the end of a long rest.

Poison Preparedness
From 6th level you have resistance to poison damage and gain the ability to cast the Detect Poison and Disease spell, but only as a ritual.

Push Through
From 6th level, your reckless attack feature no longer grants advantage to opportunity attacks targeting you, and while raging you add your rage damage bonus to your AC against opportunity attacks.

Maintain Health
From 10th level, you have immunity to poison and disease.

Retributive Strike
Starting at 14th level, when a creature make an opportunity attack targeting you, you can use your reaction to make an opportunity attack against that creature. This attack is made after the triggering creature's attack and damage rolls.

Additionally, If you make an attack roll against a creature that has damaged you since the end of your last turn and fail by 4 or less, the target takes weapon damage equal to your strength modifier from the attack but suffers no additional effects that would normally be imposed on a hit.

JNAProductions
2019-10-16, 01:30 PM
Push Through can also read as "Gain advantage on every single melee attack you ever make."

For reference, the only other way to achieve this that I know of is Rogue 18 (Elusive)/Barbarian 2 (Reckless Attack), which only comes online at level 20.

In other words, that's far too good.

BerzerkerUnit
2019-10-16, 02:56 PM
I might grant Necrotic Resist to the Rage since that’s life stealingnor blooddraining.

JNAProductions
2019-10-16, 03:07 PM
Wait-I missed something. That’s AoOs only!

Never mind, that’s fine. Will give a more in depth look after work.

sandmote
2019-10-16, 04:29 PM
I might grant Necrotic Resist to the Rage since that’s life stealingnor blooddraining. I mostly left off poison resistance because I was worried the subclass already has too many moving parts. If that isn't the case, adding poison and necrotic resistance sounds good.

Wait-I missed something. That’s AoOs only!

Never mind, that’s fine. Will give a more in depth look after work. Yeah, I'm not that crazy. Although the subclass really only prevents indefinite healing by DM fiat (From opportunity attacks by creatures specifically trying to give the barbarian bonus perseverance points). Now, you can't attack and use this one the same turn until 20th level, but I couldn't come up with a better way of limiting it than going "your DM can deny you the points if you try to abuse this."